Marks on my chilli peppers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a couple of my chilli plants have 'burnt' edges on thier leaves- does anyone know why?

My best guess is I've accidentally got water on them and the sun in the conservatory has singed them?

I'm only watering them every other day as I've heard they don't need much so hoping that's right....

Attachments

• IMG_20220427_192456.jpg
    IMG_20220427_192456.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You are either underwatering or watering too often. And since you said you were watering every other day I would say watering too often as there is no evidence of wilted leaves. It is NOT sunscald. I hope you can transplant them into the ground soon or at least repot into a larger container. Trying to maintain proper moisture levels in a small container like shown is difficult. If you cannot transplant into the ground soon repot into a container at least twice as big. Then when you water completely saturate the soil and do not water again until the soil is dry about 2 inches deep, probably about a week. You cannot overwater a plant but you can damage or kill a plant by watering too often.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah right, thank you I had no idea I've never grown them before! I've only just repotted from their seedling trays.

I will buy more compost this weekend and pot into bigger pots-unfortunately I don't have earth in my back yard so everything is in pots!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah right, thank you I had no idea I've never grown them before! I've only just repotted from their seedling trays.

I will buy more compost this weekend and pot into bigger pots-unfortunately I don't have earth in my back yard so everything is in pots!
A full grown healthy pepper plant will need a container of at least 3 gallons, preferably larger. On your plant now, I would transplant into a 1 gallon container and then into its final container when needed. What variety pepper is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've attached the packets.

I hope I've not ruined them, I've put them on the windowsill of my conservatory and will refrain from watering right now.

Do you think they will be OK?

Attachments

• IMG_20220427_213124.jpg
    IMG_20220427_213124.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220427_213059.jpg
    IMG_20220427_213059.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've attached the packets.

I hope I've not ruined them, I've put them on the windowsill of my conservatory and will refrain from watering right now.

Do you think they will be OK?
They will be OK. Rut remember, when you water them saturate the soil and then do not water until the soil is dry an inch or two deep. They will also need to be fed. In a container plant a liquid fertilizer is easier and you should fertilize every 2 - 4 weeks depending on the fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Update-I was at the garden centre today so I got some fertiliser and added to some to thier water. It's been boiling in my conservatory so all of the seedlings are thirsty at the moment!

Ask a Question