Help identifying marks on seedlings

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi can anyone help me identify this yellowing on my kohlrabi seedling
And the brown spots on my lettuce seedlings?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DECCDDB7-37C4-401B-88F0-0D5CFD389B04.jpeg
    DECCDDB7-37C4-401B-88F0-0D5CFD389B04.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 8A6E1D81-F9A7-4F97-B913-F44DCAF426DE.jpeg
    8A6E1D81-F9A7-4F97-B913-F44DCAF426DE.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 115
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi can anyone help me identify this yellowing on my kohlrabi seedling
And the brown spots on my lettuce seedlings?

Thanks!
The yellowing of the cotyledon leaves on the kohlrabi is normal. They will shrivel up and fall off. The marks on the leaf lettuce is probably caused by something like an insect or caterpillar chewing away the epidermis of the leaf skin. I don't believe it is a fungal problem. The brown spot will probably become a small hole in the leaf.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for your quick response! I appreciate your help. Good to know it’s not fungal. I’m wondering what might be bothering the lettuce as we haven’t even brought them outside yet. We have little black bugs flying around the tomatoes, maybe they are also eating the lettuce?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for your quick response! I appreciate your help. Good to know it’s not fungal. I’m wondering what might be bothering the lettuce as we haven’t even brought them outside yet. We have little black bugs flying around the tomatoes, maybe they are also eating the lettuce?
It could be anything that damaged the leaf. Lettuce seedlings are extremely tender. The little black bugs are probably fungus knats. Fungus knats aren't harmful unless you have hoards of them. If they are in great numbers the larvae might eat on the roots. To make sure that they don't just pour hydrogen peroxide onto the soil until it runs out of the bottom. This will do two things. It will kill the larvae and it will also oxygenate the soil.

Last edited:

Ask a Question