March 2017 Photo of the Month - Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@DeborahJane your dog looks jealous! Amazing how close those wild birds will get. They're cute little things :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane your dog looks jealous! Amazing how close those wild birds will get. They're cute little things :)
Max is a gorgeous old dog. I dont7 know that he is jealous of the bird climbing up my leg Becky but he certainly gets his nose out of joint if we fuss over another dog. A neighbour bought in a 10 week old miniature poodle whom we all loved. We gave Max a close up so he didn't feel left out. He growled and snapped so we didn't do that again. My daughter in law spoke for him...."How can i compete with that!!!":mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Common Tailorbird.
This is a regular visitor to the garden and found all over our city. During the nesting season [April-August] they grow slightly longer tail feathers. This was taken in a July [2011] evening when it perched on the garden arch and I was trying out the new Canon - 250mm lens.

TailorbirdGF.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hi @Dinu...what a beautiful bird :). The colors are so lovely and the clarity is WOW, especially when the full image is viewed. Another difficult collection of photos to vote on. What to do? What to do? :rolleyes:

@Larisa do the storks nest in the chimney tops? and is it supposed to be good luck? I think i remember this from somewhere but don't know if it is true.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Larisa do the storks nest in the chimney tops? and is it supposed to be good luck? I think i remember this from somewhere but don't know if it is true.

Where a lot of storks, people make great columns and upstairs they strengthen
the big wheel. There the storks like to do nest. Then the storks do not clog up the chimney. And yes, storks bring happiness. :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just a brief public service announcement reminding people that it might be time to clean the crud out of the bottom of your bird feeders! Bacteria and mold can grow in there, making it unsafe for the birds to eat.

:eek: Also, if the hole is big enough, and gets too full of caked seeds, the birds can get their heads stuck in there. This particular rescue mission required two people. One to operate the screwdriver, and another to shoo cats. :whistle:

0609021227PSA.jpg

When I was a "feeder newbie," I did no research. I did not know they needed cleaned at all - I thought it just needed filled more often when it was cold out, and that was the end of it. It's not. :oops: :oops:

CLEAN YOUR CRUD!! (y) :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have several feeders, and I've given my husband a "dedicated table knife" to clean out the bottom of the seed feeders. I don't want that knife anywhere near my other tableware! The suet feeders get emptied by the birds, and are more open so they don't get cruddy.
Fortunately, the chickens' feeder only accumulates dust from the grain feed, so I don't have to clean their feeder. Their waterers and the coop itself is a different case.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Becky, as the time for the Voting Thread draws nigh, I would like to ask you to not include my public service announcement picture. I really did mean it just as a reminder, and not as a submission to the contest. :LOL:

I was looking through my pictures and realized that I have already posted all my good bird pics in the "Animals in your garden" thread. Then I saw that one, and my sense of humor got the best of me. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm just a little concerned that without an explanation, that picture could be taken out of context. (Hey! Look at the suffering of this poor little bird!) :cautious:

Thank you!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No worries. Feel free to enter one of your photos that you have posted in another topic though!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Feel free to enter one of your photos that you have posted in another topic though!
Ok, next time I won't hesitate, but since I already submitted one as a a joke, I don't really feel like it's fair to take a do-over! :(

But thank you! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question