4 March 2017 Garlic Preparation to eat raw

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/March%202017/4%20March%202017%20Garlic%20Preparation%20to%20eat%20raw/HTML/ 4 March 2017 Garlic Preparation to eat raw
Garlic is touted to be beneficial, particularly raw garlic if a small amount about a tablespoon is ingested daily. A problem is the garlic is very hot and difficult to ingest raw. Also garlic must be crushed and allowed to rest for at least 15 minutes prior to using to get minimum benefit.
Mine is prepared using kefir which I ingest daily. The kefir is similar to cottage cheese and tends to reduce the garlic sting, not completely but it is made tolerable. The garlic is prepared by crushing in a tortilla press to remove the skin. This is by far the best method of removing the garlic skin. Then the cloves are chopped and crushed finely in an OXO chopper. The fine crushed garlic is allowed to rest at least 15 minutes to get maximum benefit. A tablespoon is then mixed with the kefir and ingested daily. Excess chopped garlic is stored in a tight plastic container and stored in the refrigerator. A large garlic bulb stores for about four days. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_5841_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My favourite way of eating raw garlic is a Greek dish called "Skorthalia". (garlic dip)
Potatoes are boiled and pureed with salt, olive oil, white wine vinegar and minced raw garlic, to taste and freshly ground black pepper are added.
Chill to set in the fridge.
Pitta bread is heated and dipped in this for a rustic lunch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
ran across an awesome concoction, and a real winner for extreme good for you food.
Get out your food processor.
A heaping hand full of pecans, garlic about 5 cloves, (less for the timid). Good 1/4 up of good olive oil, then turn on blender till chopped, Now add Kale, heap it up to the top of the processor. ( keep the stems out of it) Turn it on. you may need a little more olive oil. Run processor until it is a nice textured paste. throw in salt to taste.

Now you made Kale Pesto. I use it on hot pasta, folding it around etc. But have also used as a spread on crispy toast. Can use for your garlic bread. Crackers etc.

Packed with the goodness of several items. I eat it raw.

Ask a Question