Mandarin Tree

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, just hoping someone could please tell me what is happening to my potted Imperial Mandarin Tree. It has dropped most of its leaves, and has brown dying or dead wood tips. I can see new growth and flowers, but worry it will lose its fruits again like last year or not produce any at all. I have just fertilized with Citrus Food and Dynamic Lifter. Last year it was full of fruit, but then dropped them all but 2 or three when they were about pea size. Thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated 👍

Attachments

• IMG20230907135048.jpg
    IMG20230907135048.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230907135017.jpg
    IMG20230907135017.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230907135038.jpg
    IMG20230907135038.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, just hoping someone could please tell me what is happening to my potted Imperial Mandarin Tree. It has dropped most of its leaves, and has brown dying or dead wood tips. I can see new growth and flowers, but worry it will lose its fruits again like last year or not produce any at all. I have just fertilized with Citrus Food and Dynamic Lifter. Last year it was full of fruit, but then dropped them all but 2 or three when they were about pea size. Thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated 👍
When was it up-potted into the container it's in now?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, thanks for your reply. It was repotted approx 2 years ago, into the large plastic pot from the nursery. I am thinking there may be root rot because it's in a container.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, thanks for your reply. It was repotted approx 2 years ago, into the large plastic pot from the nursery. I am thinking there may be root rot because it's in a container.
Be very gentle and dig out most of the old soil off the top of the pot and get as much soil as you can without damaging the roots. When you remove the soil get a feel and a good look at the roots. If you feel mushy conditions in the roots it means the plant has been over-watered. Its it feels extra dry in the center then you have not been watering deeply enough.

Get yourself some top-quality topsoil in a bag and replace the old two-year-old soil with the new. Don't pack the soil let the water seat the soil when you water the plant. Make sure you don't add more soil than was originally there. Don't fertilize the new soil. Give it about 4 weeks and it will perk up.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thank you for that information, it's much appreciated. I will definitely give that a try, so i can see the condition of the roots. I think if anything, it's probably water logged, because it has been exposed to a lot of winter rain.

Ask a Question