California honey mandarin tree growth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am a plant connoisseur & my boyfriend decided to gift me an indoor California honey mandarin tree. However, it came and it is very tall (around 5ft). I want to start shaping it so that it’s fuller instead of taller. I need someones advice as to where to prune so I could gain more branching without hurting the tree.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 42
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pinch out the growing tip of any branch that you feel is already long enough. This will send a hormonal signal for the plant to develop more side branches. Do this repeatedly throughout the growing season. If you get more low branches you may wish to encourage their growth, as long as they emerge from above the graft union. While some people like to prune small citrus trees into lollipop-shaped standards, multi-stemmed bushes are usually sturdier and produce more fruit. If you ever visit a commercial citrus orchard you will see the 'trees' are actually large shrubs with branches all the way to ground level.

Ask a Question