Make your own liquid fertilisers

Jed

Reaction score
Cor, we're aproaching the boundaries of organic to chemical fertilizer here, but add wood ash & wee to the fish guts and we are looking at some serious good stuff:D
You mean to say you do use the fish guts as well not just the wood ash and the urine only?
I guess I'm a bit of a wimp and buy concentrates of ready made seaweed and fish emulsion. A bit of an expense at $8 for a pint/500ml but it's good for 20 doses in a watering can and together with the other liquid fertilizers I make it goes a long way.
Maybe when I get to the beach I'll bring home a bucket of seaweed and try and make my own liquid seaweed compost . Fish guts. I'll need more convincing.:eek:

Reaction score
I recently read an article on how to make liquid fish emulsion fertilizer. Apparently you fill a large bucket with leftover fish like the guts, bones and head, cover them with water and give it a stir once or twice per day. It's really smelly but is supposed to be very effective for plants in the garden. Some people will even buy canned fish and use that. Now this one sounds really smelly if you ask me.
Lanie, That sounds awfully smelly to me. I don't think I have i would ever do that in my home.. LOL. Cooking fish at home by itself is a smelly job.. No, its wormy compost for me all the way.. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You mean to say you do use the fish guts as well not just the wood ash and the urine only?
I guess I'm a bit of a wimp and buy concentrates of ready made seaweed and fish emulsion. A bit of an expense at $8 for a pint/500ml but it's good for 20 doses in a watering can and together with the other liquid fertilizers I make it goes a long way.
Maybe when I get to the beach I'll bring home a bucket of seaweed and try and make my own liquid seaweed compost . Fish guts. I'll need more convincing.:eek:

Can't remember where I found out about it but I think it was a Victorian method, breaks the fish waste down quicker & makes it available to the plants quicker. Smells a lot:D

I do a fair bit of fishing and all the guts, heads, bones go into the veg garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm willing to have a go with the seaweed, but I don't think I want the labor or the smell of making my own fish emulsion. I didn't realize you needed actual fish! I thought it came from fish excrement or something like that. I would rather buy the concentrate or use compost tea, the liquid from the worms, or even Bokashi. The worms seem to be the least expensive method, and the least labor intensive.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Very difficult to collect Fish poo, they tend to do it on the move;)

Seaweed can smell pretty much as bad when its rotting.

I'm mainly organic and don't mind using Blood fish & bone meal as a fertiliser, agreed, its waste from the meat industry, but in 10 years time, tuesday will be Soylent Green day, so we'd better get used to it:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Soylent Green Day? OMG, I hope not, lol! Maybe I could add a little seaweed to my compost whenever I get around to making the compost tea? Or even just mix some shredded seaweed in with the soil?

Reaction score
I thought about doing fish emulsion but I don't think I can justify having a stinky bucket sitting around that I have to take the top off and hold my breath to mix! :p

I bet adding seaweed to the compost would give it a huge boost!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D

Leave the seaweed in the rain for a bit, to wash off the salt. Seaweed's great, lots of trace elements.

Jed

Reaction score
:D

Leave the seaweed in the rain for a bit, to wash off the salt. Seaweed's great, lots of trace elements.
We have a gardening expert down here who says not to bother washing the seaweed for salt but remove the sand. http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s795262.htm

I've just used it straight in the past as a mulch on the garden.:confused:
Soylent Green wasn't that a movie about feeding people human protein? I never did see it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Jed, Soylent Green was about recycling humans into food! (At death no less!)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/

Ok, I was thinking of the food grade seaweed I can get at the store. There's no sand in sushi nori, lol. Should I be using a different seaweed?

Jed

Reaction score
Jed, Soylent Green was about recycling humans into food! (At death no less!)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/

Ok, I was thinking of the food grade seaweed I can get at the store. There's no sand in sushi nori, lol. Should I be using a different seaweed?
Gross.:eek:
I heard the other day maggots are a good way to feed fish and poultry if an industry can get started.Much quicker to source protein that way.
http://www.abc.net.au/rural/telegraph/content/2012/s3646127.htm

That would be a waste of nori seaweed. Can you get seaweed from the coast?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats interesting Jed, the alkaline sand should be fine in the veg plot, except for potatoes, which it won't harm but could encourage potato scab.

Sushi Nori seems an expensive way of doing it Chanell:D I'd rather eat it.

Incidentally, all seaweeds are edible, just that some are a bit tough.

I'll be the same age as Sol (Edward G robinson) is in the film by the time it gets to when Soylent Green is set:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Gross.:eek:
I heard the other day maggots are a good way to feed fish and poultry if an industry can get started.Much quicker to source protein that way.
http://www.abc.net.au/rural/telegraph/content/2012/s3646127.htm

That would be a waste of nori seaweed. Can you get seaweed from the coast?

Yeck! LOL. Who wants to grow maggots?

I'm not exactly close to the coast, I'll have to investigate.

Sushi Nori seems an expensive way of doing it Chanell:D I'd rather eat it.

Incidentally, all seaweeds are edible, just that some are a bit tough.

I'll be the same age as Sol (Edward G robinson) is in the film by the time it gets to when Soylent Green is set:eek:
I'd rather eat it also, but I figure giving up one sheet here and there would be okay. I usually have some on hand, and I could start saving the crumbs that are left behind at the bottom of the package.
Just how much seaweed does one need? Can you make a tea from it and use that in the garden?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just how much seaweed does one need? Can you make a tea from it and use that in the garden?

Yes, its just a tonic really, don't need a lot. I've used compostable amounts, but only when trying to simulate the taste of Jersey Royal Potatoes.

They are origin protected, so although you can grow them outside Jersey, you can't call them that if you sell any.

In Jersey they are grown with lots of composted seaweed & are the best "New" potatoes taste wise.

Ask a Question