Magnolias, Camellias, and Roses Oh My

Reaction score
Trellum, - No Azaleas wouldn't grow well where you are either, but you'll be very pleased to know that they do grow very well in Holland, in fact they are grown there for export, as well as being extremely popular as both outdoor and indoor plants, so you should see some pretty spectacular sights, especially as they are often in flower at the same time as the tulips, but you are most likely to see them grown as indoor plants like these

Azalea_Mev._Gerard.jpg

Azalea.jpg

Azalea indoor.jpg

azalea-indoor.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I might try a lilac perfume :) I'm actually trying to find a new perfume for me, I'm starting to get bored of ''Ralph'' by Ralph Laurent. It smells nice, but it's been years since I tried a new thing! I love floral and citrus mixes :) What about you? I have no experience with flower perfumes... wish I could find a perfume that smells just like roses!
I've been looking for rose perfumes for ages now! Tea Rose by Perfumers Workshop smells lovely, but it's an extremely sweet and intense scent.
As for lilac perfumes, the best are from Ives Rocher. They small exactly like real lilac!

Gata Montes, these Azaleas are lovely! They remind me of my miniature roses:D

Reaction score
Omg!! Really? I'll try the Ives Rocher one in the future :love: Too bad your attempts to find the perfect rose perfume has failed :( It's so odd that a smell as popular as the one of the rose hasn't been comercialized yet. I wonder why? I mean... what woman wouldn't like to smell like roses??

Reaction score
Trellum, - No Azaleas wouldn't grow well where you are either, but you'll be very pleased to know that they do grow very well in Holland, in fact they are grown there for export, as well as being extremely popular as both outdoor and indoor plants, so you should see some pretty spectacular sights, especially as they are often in flower at the same time as the tulips, but you are most likely to see them grown as indoor plants like these

View attachment 1574

View attachment 1576

View attachment 1575

View attachment 1579

Awesome :) Thanks for sharing all those amazing pictures!!! I'm feeling happier and happier I'm moving to the Netherlands ;) Looks like I'll be living in a gardening paradise soon :) I might grow mine indoors, those azaleas are really beautiful. I just love flowers in general :love:

Reaction score
Trellum, You are welcome - am glad that you like them too, and feel sure that you would get a great deal of pleasure from seeing these gorgeous plants dotted around the inside of your home :D
I too, think - once you've moved to Holland it could well be like living in a gardening paradise, especially as you'll be falling in love with plants that you could never have dreamed of growing where you are now :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Omg!! Really? I'll try the Ives Rocher one in the future :love: Too bad your attempts to find the perfect rose perfume has failed :( It's so odd that a smell as popular as the one of the rose hasn't been comercialized yet. I wonder why? I mean... what woman wouldn't like to smell like roses??
I know:( Violet perfumes are even more difficult to find. In general, one-note perfumes aren't too popular. I really don't understand why.

Here are other plants that have always fascinated me: hyacinths!:D:

hyacinth-medley.jpg

Floriade_canberra.jpg

Reaction score
Claudine - Those hyacinths are lovely and the colors are gorgeous and as I know that you and Trellum are both very fond of black - thought you might like some of these black ones

Midnight mystique

Black HYACINTH_MIDNIGHT_MYSTIQUE_.jpg

black hyacinth.jpg

Reaction score
@claudine Those hyacinths are so beautiful! Can you believe those flowers are used for the day of the dead in mexico? They are very popular!

@gata montes Wow! I had no idea there were black hyacinths too :D A goth garden in the making ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata montes - these black hyacinths are very pretty, I love them!:D I'll plant them in my future garden:D
Trellum - oh no:eek: I had no idea they're used for the day of the dead! They're so colorful and they smell so good! In Poland, we always put chrysanthemums on graves.

Reaction score
Claudine and Trellum - Quite striking aren't they - had a sneaking suspicion that you'd both like them and am pleased that I was able to introduce you to yet another addition to your all black ( goth ) gardens :)

I too had no idea that hyacinths were used for the day of the dead - can imagine its a pretty colorful sight, but here just as Claudine mentioned - it is always chrysanthemums that are used on the day of the dead and only white ones at that. Which is a shame as the its the only time in the year that the shops have cut flowers or plants for sale, which under normal circumstances would sound exciting - especially as it is a yearly event, however its not, unless of course you actually want a white chrysanthemum that is associated with the day of the dead sitting in your living room :(

Hyacinths sound like a good addition but they are not in season here - are they in season in Mexico Trellum or are they shipped in especially for that day ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my country, we put chrysanthemums in many different colors on graves. No one keeps them indoors, I've never seen them in any garden in my area. They remind us of too many horrible things, like graveyards, funerals and other:( This is why I don't like them.
I don't want to stop liking hyacinths too!

Reaction score
Trellum - oh no:eek: I had no idea they're used for the day of the dead! They're so colorful and they smell so good! In Poland, we always put chrysanthemums on graves.

Yeah, we actually light to use very bright colours for that :p My family doesn't believe in that kind of things tho, this kind of traditions are for people with a christian background (in my country). They actually have a huge party-like celebration during that day... as big as christmas for them. Here are some pics:

Altar+en+Noche+de+muertos+(por+Jos%C3%A9+Luis+Trejo).jpg

noche_de_Dia_de_Muertos_en_Janitzio.jpg

dia_de_muertos_region_orizaba_veracruz_mexico.jpg

I've never seen this in person tho :p

Reaction score
Claudine - at least your bit more imaginative in Poland and use different colored chrysanthemums rather than just white - but it even if they used different colors here, it wouldn't make me want to have them as indoor or outdoor plants either - so lets just hope they don't decide to start using hyacinths as well.

Trellum - Looks very similar to the way the day of the dead is celebrated here, except that ours is, I think much more low key as the celebrations are nowhere near like those depicted in your photos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum, wow, in Poland, we put candles on graves too, especially during the November 1, but I've never seen so many flowers in a graveyard! It looks very festive;)
Gata Montes, I wouldn't want to keep chrysanthemums at home either. They can't take our beautiful hyacinths from us too!

Reaction score
Wow, really?!!! Now that's odd, Claudine, because in my country they do it during that day too :D:LOL:(y) By the way, you are right! The natives have a really different view of ''death''. Is quite festive as you said :) It's like a big party for all those who are no longer with us. I've never been to one of those celebrations, but I've been told is an amazing experinece!

Ask a Question