Magnolias, Camellias, and Roses Oh My

Reaction score
I have this fascination for Magnolia trees. I have seen some magnificently tall ones in my life. I think Magnolia trees when they bloom are a beauty to look at. It takes me back to the movie, "Steal Magnolias."

Well, my boyfriends friend owns a tree farm, and he raises Magnolia trees. I found out that when I move in next year, he is giving me Magnolia trees to plant in our yard. I am so excited for that.

He also raises Camellias, a fushia color. I can have some of those, too. Yippy.

In addition, I will be planting several colors of Roses.

What flower, tree, or plant fascinates you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's great news about the magnolia trees, you'll have to share some photos when you get them! :) I'm with you about magnolias, they are so beautiful. It's just a shame that the blossom season is so short, I wish it was longer! They are very pretty trees too, all gnarled and wonky. There is a street in our town which has them in a lot of the front gardens, I'll try and get some photos next year when they are in bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds wonderful! I love magnolias too, they look so gorgeous when they're in bloom. Many people who live on my street grow them.

381189.jpg

As for plants that fascinate me, the answer is simple: miniature roses!:D

Reaction score
Your future garden sounds like it would be a heavenly place to be, especially which such a beautiful mix of plants, I love them all but have to say that out of the three, magnolia trees would probably be my favorite and think you are truly lucky to be getting some for free - as there are so many new varieties available these days, do you have any favorites in mind ?

My current favorites are some the deep pink or lilac ones like these

magnolia march till frost.jpeg

Magnolia_liliiflora2.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
For me it would be the ''wisteria''. I just love everything about that tree, even the name sounds interesting:

1303733663_dsc04529.jpg

I was told this tree actually starts out as a beautiful vine :) I might get 2 or 3 of those and put them in a plant pot for a while. It's all plans now tho. If things go well and I move to the Netherlands, then I'll surely do this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wisteria is gorgeous, I couldn't agree more. This picture looks like a dream, I love it. It's hard to believe that something so beautiful really exists.
Another plant that fascinates me is Lilac. I find it very pretty and I adore its sweet scent. It comes in different shades of pink, violet and white:

bez-fioletowy.jpeg

172362_liliowy_bez.jpg

2789156_bialy-bez.jpg

Reaction score
wow. How many beautiful plants you all have shared with us. I love the pictures and beauty of each of the pictures shared.
images.jpg

I am including the picture of what the trees look like right now at the nursery. They are a gift from the nursery owner.. They are not full grown yet, but will look beautiful as the years go by.

Reaction score
Wow Charahome - you are oh so lucky - and they're such a really good size too - am sure you are really looking forward to the time when they get planted in your garden and I'm absolutely sure that they are going to look truly beautiful in your garden

Although I love just about every plant there is, there is one plant that I would really love to have in my garden, but unfortunately can't due to my climate and that is one of these spectacular looking

Kurume Azaleas

Azalia 'Kurume Hydrid '.jpg

I think they're truly awesome:)

Reaction score
Wisteria is gorgeous, I couldn't agree more. This picture looks like a dream, I love it. It's hard to believe that something so beautiful really exists.
Another plant that fascinates me is Lilac. I find it very pretty and I adore its sweet scent. It comes in different shades of pink, violet and white:

bez-fioletowy.jpeg

172362_liliowy_bez.jpg

2789156_bialy-bez.jpg

OMG, Claudine!!! It seems you know the most beautiful plants and trees ever! I had no idea this one even existed! It blooms so profusely and beautifuly, I love purple, so it would be lovely to have one of those in my property :) Maybe one day!

Reaction score
Wow Charahome - you are oh so lucky - and they're such a really good size too - am sure you are really looking forward to the time when they get planted in your garden and I'm absolutely sure that they are going to look truly beautiful in your garden

Although I love just about every plant there is, there is one plant that I would really love to have in my garden, but unfortunately can't due to my climate and that is one of these spectacular looking

Kurume Azaleas

View attachment 1562

I think they're truly awesome:)

OMG!!!!! The colour of this is just amazing! It reminds me of a japanese maple tree!!!! This kind of colours are so beautiful, they'd make any garden stand out from the crowd for sure! What kind of weather is ideal for the Kurume Azaleas? Do they need a tropical climate? It's a pity some plants and trees impose those barriers :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
OMG, Claudine!!! It seems you know the most beautiful plants and trees ever! I had no idea this one even existed! It blooms so profusely and beautifuly, I love purple, so it would be lovely to have one of those in my property :) Maybe one day!
Lilac is extremely popular in my area!:D I see it in every garden. We had had it in ours too, but of course my parents got rid of it (surprise, surprise:(). I wish you could smell it. Lilac flowers smell heavenly beautiful! It's a very intense and sweet, one of a kind scent. I'm addicted to it. I even bought lilac perfumes:D

Reaction score
This is not the actual plant we are getting, but this is exactly what they look like at the nursery, the owner trims them to grow tall and look like a bulb.

The color we are getting of Camellias is pink. It will be a bright contrast to the Magnolias.

Attachments

• 4028 Camellia topiary tree.jpg
    4028 Camellia topiary tree.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,530
Reaction score
Trellum - Amazing isn't it - apart from the magnificent color,when allowed to grow like the one in the picture they can and do resemble Acers, which I absolutely adore and is probably why I like these Kurume Azaleas so much, but unfortunately neither of them will grow in my climate.:(
As Azaleas are best grown in areas with relatively high humidity because they like constant moisture and are very sensitive to drought and fluctuating wet and dry conditions, plus they prefer shady sheltered conditions where their roots can be kept cool as well needing very fertile acidic soil, none of which I can provide - so I will just have to be content to dream and look at pictures of these beautiful plants.

charahome - Beautiful camellias and love the idea of growing them as braided plants - will you be growing yours in pots or directly in the ground ? Either way as I said before am sure your garden is going to look truly gorgeous, :)

Reaction score
Lilac is extremely popular in my area!:D I see it in every garden. We had had it in ours too, but of course my parents got rid of it (surprise, surprise:(). I wish you could smell it. Lilac flowers smell heavenly beautiful! It's a very intense and sweet, one of a kind scent. I'm addicted to it. I even bought lilac perfumes:D

I might try a lilac perfume :) I'm actually trying to find a new perfume for me, I'm starting to get bored of ''Ralph'' by Ralph Laurent. It smells nice, but it's been years since I tried a new thing! I love floral and citrus mixes :) What about you? I have no experience with flower perfumes... wish I could find a perfume that smells just like roses!

Reaction score
Trellum - Amazing isn't it - apart from the magnificent color,when allowed to grow like the one in the picture they can and do resemble Acers, which I absolutely adore and is probably why I like these Kurume Azaleas so much, but unfortunately neither of them will grow in my climate.:(
As Azaleas are best grown in areas with relatively high humidity because they like constant moisture and are very sensitive to drought and fluctuating wet and dry conditions, plus they prefer shady sheltered conditions where their roots can be kept cool as well needing very fertile acidic soil, none of which I can provide - so I will just have to be content to dream and look at pictures of these beautiful plants.

Wow, that plant is picky, lol. It's a shame you can't grow that over there, I don't think I could ever grow one over here either. Because our summers and springs are so dry and hot... no humidity at all. It's a frying hell :D Do you think those Kurume Azaleas would grow well in the Netherlands? There are so many channels over there, specially in the north of the country. I mean, that place is basically a giant swamp!

Ask a Question