Magnolias, Camellias, and Roses Oh My

Reaction score
Trellum - Looks very similar to the way the day of the dead is celebrated here, except that ours is, I think much more low key as the celebrations are nowhere near like those depicted in your photos.

Wow, do you guys also celebrate that ''holiday''? It seems a lot countries around the world celebrate it :p I'm starting to realize after reading your answer and claudine's. By the way, the place where I live doesn't offer this kind of graveyard ''parties''. Over here is very low key as you said, but if you go to the south during that date, get ready to come across a huge party.

Reaction score
Trellum - No I don't celebrate it personally, but there are many where I live that do and who block the roads with their cars for a twenty four period whilst doing so.
As I've already mentioned the 24 hour period of celebration is much more low key than yours and although it would be quite common to see a sight similar to your first picture, there would only be white chrysanthemums, small edible effigies and candles as the decoration so is definitely nowhere near as colorful as yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, really?!!! Now that's odd, Claudine, because in my country they do it during that day too :D:LOL:(y) By the way, you are right! The natives have a really different view of ''death''. Is quite festive as you said :) It's like a big party for all those who are no longer with us. I've never been to one of those celebrations, but I've been told is an amazing experinece!
In Poland, it's a rather sad and quiet day. But cemeteries look pretty with all the lights. I wish there were more flowers though. I'm an atheist and I don't believe in an afterlife, but somehow, I always feel that my aunt, who is buried there, misses her garden and her flowers. She loved the nature.

Reaction score
Yeah, I can imagine it is. Actually the day of the dead in my country is rather quirky :p I often wonder how they can view this day as a ''happy'' one. I have never been able to understand that. How something so negative can be seen as something really positive? In my mom's religion they don't even mention the afterlife :)

Reaction score
Trellum - No I don't celebrate it personally, but there are many where I live that do and who block the roads with their cars for a twenty four period whilst doing so.
As I've already mentioned the 24 hour period of celebration is much more low key than yours and although it would be quite common to see a sight similar to your first picture, there would only be white chrysanthemums, small edible effigies and candles as the decoration so is definitely nowhere near as colorful as yours.

Wow! They even block roads over there! Uhm they seem to take this holiday even more seriously than where I live. I heard in the south of the country is a huge thing tho, very colorful as you said :) It's a photographer's paradise! I actually dream of seeing this celebration with my own eyes one day... hopely they allow me to take some pictures ;)

Reaction score
Trellum - Yes its one of those days that you just hope you don't have to go anywhere in a hurry, especially as most people don't actually seem to park their cars on this particular day - but just abandon them where ever they stop, and yes it is a day that is taken very seriously here. I definitely wouldn't describe as a day of celebration though, in fact quite the opposite as there is a very sombre almost soulful feel to it.

Reaction score
Wow, what if there is an emergency and you need to go see a doctor? That sounds kinda dangerous :unsure: Has anyone ever complained about it or something like that? It sounds like a tough day, specially if you don't celebrate the holiday as well. The contrast of your holiday and mine is really interesting! In one country that holiday is happy, in the other is somber!!!

Reaction score
I have this fascination for Magnolia trees. I have seen some magnificently tall ones in my life. I think Magnolia trees when they bloom are a beauty to look at. It takes me back to the movie, "Steal Magnolias."

Well, my boyfriends friend owns a tree farm, and he raises Magnolia trees. I found out that when I move in next year, he is giving me Magnolia trees to plant in our yard. I am so excited for that.

He also raises Camellias, a fushia color. I can have some of those, too. Yippy.

In addition, I will be planting several colors of Roses.

What flower, tree, or plant fascinates you?

I'm also a fan of magnolias. These are truly beautiful trees which brighten up any yard.
I'm also a big fan of crab apple trees. Crabs are gorgeous and also provide good shade.

Ask a Question