Magazine style - all inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Nothing showing in the flower beds here yet. My front lawn is raked and fertilized and I pruned the apple tree yesterday morning, spent the afternoon in a customer's yard doing spring clean up. Only 9 more pounds to lose to get to my target weight. lol

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing showing in the flower beds here yet. My front lawn is raked and fertilized and I pruned the apple tree yesterday morning, spent the afternoon in a customer's yard doing spring clean up. Only 9 more pounds to lose to get to my target weight. lol

Would love to see a slim-down photo of yours, Johnny!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I complained to the estate agent that they would not let me upload my photos and they wanted to get my £5K plus and so the manager phoned and said he would send the photographer to take pics tomorrow. I had been seed-sowing-fasting for the last 2 years and this year, after knowing that neighbour had gone, I have started a binge and I am now drowned in seed trays - Miracle Gro salad bag with very little germination. One Medeira Spinach seed packet was so old that only one seeding per 10 grids. Verve Sweet peas no show in 2 grids whilst Sutton and Johnson are both showing result. Every time the phone rang (twice), I steeled my resolve NOT to answer the phone. Hopefully, it was Douglas ... cold calling me to sell my home via Homewise. They have done that 5 times and I wanted to *&**%% and tell them to buzz off. They just wouldn't take no for an answer. Had another one yesterday. Can't go out now as it is too hot (LOL! the weather can't win). Will go out later to clean up the culled hellebores! Too many of them. I got rid of them even though they are seeding. Hopefully, I will have a batch of selected hellebores i.e. those I really love ..

Can't help myself and bought a Black Dragon Iris. Can't believe Wilko selling them so late. Hope it is not another Indian Chief. Won't flower this year.

Johnny, would love to see some of your rare hens and your pink clematis macropetala.. LOL!

SAM_0618.JPG

This one from Taylor bulbs - prettiest when it is NOT open. Just love the colours of the back
SAM_0619.JPG
SAM_0620.JPG

I cut so much of the tuber that some parts of the mother tubers are now useless. But hey, look how healthy these are. Cut 4 days ago.
SAM_0621.JPG

First even iris - bit of anti-climax - a very common one. But I love the velvety sheen .. colour close to heaven!
SAM_0622.JPG
SAM_0623.JPG

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some from this morning - just to see if I could capture the morning dew drops

SAM_0607.JPG
SAM_0608.JPG

SAM_0614.JPG
SAM_0615.JPG

Tons of scaled lilies to be separated. Have I uploaded this before.
SAM_0610.JPG
SAM_0611.JPG

See, I never have to bother with wallflowers. They just love my garden - freebies which cheer me up

SAM_0613.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0612.JPG
    SAM_0612.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 119

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Zenj What is the name of the first dainty please? I think I have quite a lot of them. I was scared of muscari, but this morning, when the sun was out, bees were very happy flitting in and out of them. Every time I saw with bees with pulmonarias, I so wanted to buy them, but I just couldn't warm myself to the flowers .. A bit torn as bees love them.

So envious of your snake heads as I couldn't keep them. They have failed to come up this year. Instead, my border is overrun with Lagurus ovatus - hare tail grasses - everywhere! Wish the snake heads were everywhere! Lovely photos, Zenj - hope you upload more! My part of the world is just too dry for the snake head. When they are reduced, I might buy them. I just can't reduce the number of plants that I have. A kind of incurable addiction. :eek::banghead:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all - don't really want to read the newspapers.

Ooops! 3c :eek: in the next few days! Might still be planting out some of my dahlias near the dwarf wall. Need to reduce the number of pots.

Grey sky is ideal for gardening. Culled 6 more hellebores yesterday after 4pm. Must get serious about the allotment .. Found my thalictrum and it's still doing quite well.

Watched GW and think for once, Monty has a nice, tidy corner; perhaps overdoing a bit with the stipas. Skipped to the last episode of MotherFatherSon and at the end was recommended Great British Garden Revival by iplayer. Thought I was going to watch it for the 3rd time. Turned out to be a new series. Roses are good, climbers not so. The visuals and acoustics are both improved over the last series. A lot of snippets from previous GW though. Would love to go to Montifont, but it's so far away. Perhaps a trip to the zoo and Regent's Park will help a bit.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Ian: Hope you could give a link to the last post of each thread. My finger print is no more before of all the scrolling.

For me, this year's excitement

I do hope it is big though!

Dianthus Green trick and I have lost all my octopus

Sun has come out and I am out to the garden. Have a glorious day!

Attachments

• SAM_0622.JPG
    SAM_0622.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 142

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant! @Ian ! Many many air kisses! Well done! Great man! I know you're married! Hehe! Don't worry - You're safe! But if you like, you could make an avatar with your missus or mister! LOL! You can't accuse me of being sexist!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@johnny canoe

The house selling saga is now more or less stopped. I can still occasionally smell something dodgy and feel ill. Sometimes, I sneeze violently. I'm very sensitive to smell. My neighbours have moved and now there is a nice couple living there as renters. I actually sat in my garden sunning myself and eating ice cream this morning, too instead of just gardening. I do need to move, but to lose the garden is unbearable. I have stopped viewing properties as unless I have sold my house, there is absolutely no chance of my moving.

It's so hot that I am all sweaty and bothered. Thankfully, it's cooler tomorrow. Was working happily until nearly 3 pm when some dirt got flicked into my left eye. Came in and washed it with cool down boiled water and channel-surfed and saw Escape to the Country. What stopped me was that there was a rill in the front of the house and the view was just amazing. I always want a view. And then the couple finally found their dream house - the mystery house. Thatched and came with good sized rooms and neutral decor. What is best is that it came with a big gardener but was only accessible via a gate! And the house was considerably under budget. The lady was so moved that she cried a bit. Very nice show. Went out and planted out some unknown plants. It was only until I saw another label that I knew the previous one was some kind of allium. Also planted out some lily martagon. Think it will take time to grow. Got rid of about 50 pots of wishy washy hellebores.

Crikey! I nearly uploaded the whole folder! Ooops!

I had about 3 seeds from my thalictrum and here is the only one surviving. So pleased.

SAM_0631.JPG
SAM_0632.JPG

The warmth has brought on tulip bloom
SAM_0633.JPG
SAM_0635.JPG
SAM_0636.JPG
SAM_0637.JPG
SAM_0638.JPG
SAM_0639.JPG
SAM_0640.JPG
SAM_0641.JPG
SAM_0644.JPG
SAM_0645.JPG
SAM_0646.JPG
SAM_0643.JPG

SAM_0647.JPG
SAM_0648.JPG

Tulip time!

Attachments

• SAM_0634.JPG
    SAM_0634.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 113

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a very foggy day! Son came home with £5 for a pint of cooked prawns! Gee! I nearly wanted to cry - it's so expensive. £1 per oyster! I need to make a tempura batter! Going out for lunch and he said he would cook for me! I wish every day were a Mother's Day!

Planted out 2 x Allium Gladiator, 2 x Allium Gigantium, 3 dahlias. I noticed that there are so much wood chips in my soil that my hellebores are suffering from a virus - black spots. Got hold of another wormery for free and I had a good harvest of the juice last week from the wee small one. I'm going to incorporate the worm cast into the soil when the soil has seriously warmed up. Saw Carol Klein's Daffodils in the Great British Garden Revival and will make some double narcissus!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Keep your children's baby teeth as researchers find stem cells in them could be used to treat cancer and prevent heart attacks
  • Researchers found stem cells in young teeth are rich in biological information
  • United States National Center for Biotechnology announced it could save a life
  • Taking stem cells from baby teeth could replace the difficult process of accessing bone marrow from other areas of the body
  • While the new method is still in development, in years to come it could be widely used to help fight cancer and regrow neural cells in the brain

Source

DR MICHAEL MOSLEY: Why full fat milk is the best thing you drink... and the reason the skinny stuff makes you fat

Going to buy one today!

Life without them is unimaginable but these vital creatures are under threat: The Mail on Sunday reveals how you can save the Great British bee

I have a bee hotel, but it has been snubbed ..

Sir David Attenborough accuses fish farms of threatening the survival of wild salmon through breeding genetically weaker specimens
  • Made the comments in a YouTube film to mark International Year of the Salmon
  • Is boost for campaigners who claim fish-farming is harming marine environment
  • Wild Atlantic salmon numbers fallen from eight million in 1970s to three million
That's the trouble with humans .. They ruin most of the environment!

Nature’s warning signs that disaster is about to strike

Brightly colored animals often signal danger

If you see a beautifully colored pool, don’t go in it

Source

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Watching Chris Beardshaw's Revival of blooms. Wonder why he has to enunciate g in every single word! Otherwise, he voice is very smoothing!

How about this means of transport in your orchard? The man is doing a great job!

Over water feature! Love to have a piece of land like this!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you could give a link to the last post of each thread. My finger print is no more before of all the scrolling.

If you click the data on the thread list, it should take you to the last post :D. Here's the link:

Capture.PNG

But if you like, you could make an avatar with your missus or mister!

Like this? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question