Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nearly killed myself opening these

SAM_0649.JPG

Now my mouth is burning because of the Tabasco sauce. Big fleshy oysters though!

Cream double freckled! How can they say it's cream?!

SAM_0631.JPG
SAM_0632.JPG

Yellow single Freckled
SAM_0633.JPG
SAM_0634.JPG
SAM_0635.JPG
SAM_0636.JPG
SAM_0637.JPG
SAM_0638.JPG
SAM_0639.JPG
SAM_0640.JPG
SAM_0641.JPG
SAM_0642.JPG
SAM_0643.JPG
SAM_0644.JPG
SAM_0645.JPG
SAM_0646.JPG
SAM_0647.JPG
SAM_0648.JPG

My latest buy: The label says pink double! Oh, dear! What hope have I got for my eyesight?!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My tempura is a FAILURE, AGAIN!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another grey morning! Couldn't sleep last night and wish I had got up and ordered the nematodes. After all, it MIGHT rain tomorrow. How annoying!

Couldn't fall asleep until 3am! Even after that, it was a fitful night.

Must sow toms seeds.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mosquitoes don't like dubstep: Insects that are 'entertained' with tune by artist Skrillex are less likely to hang around to bite people, scientists find
  • Track Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites was played to aedes aegypti mosquito
  • It is known to spread diseases such as Zika virus, dengue fever and yellow fever
  • Study found female adult mosquitoes who heard track attacked hosts less often

I reckon I need this music to protect me when I go watering in the summer! A bite causes me an itch well after a year and I have scars still bearing black blood scab one whole year after one of the many unwelcome encounters

How to pollution proof your diet: Toxic air is ruining our health (and ageing us too!) But here top dietitian JANE CLARKE, reveals how you can fight back... with the right food

I'd like to try the recipes, but one avocado is priced at 75p at Aldi! :banghead::cry::eek: What hope have we got?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have to say Chris Beardshaw's Britain's Bloom Revival was beautifully shot! Bodnant at its best and thank you for reminding me of my visit. Wish I had money to buy a drone and film Bodnant in the air! Soooooo beautiful! Would love to walk under the 55 foot long Laburnum Arch!

Line of Duty is a bit obvious - pretty sure that Adrian Dunbar will be killed at the end of this series!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Removed quite a few plants and divided the Aster Bahama and the white Aster Girasol. We used a knife to quarter the clumps and planted them nearer the front as they are quite short.

Also, planted out the Salvia Amistad after removing it from a pot. Amazing how it had outgrown its pot.

Sawn a thick fat root from neighbour's bitter cherry
SAM_0654.JPG
SAM_0655.JPG

SAM_0656.JPG
SAM_0657.JPG
SAM_0658.JPG

And cut off quite a few of these horrible deformed leaves from my nectarine trees! Anybody know what I should do?

My first Tree peony and in fact, the first peony bloom for the year. Cost me £5.99 last year. Wish I had bought the purple one! The white one has no flower.
SAM_0651.JPG
SAM_0652.JPG
SAM_0653.JPG

With the warm temperature and suddenly, I saw my red peony coming out in buds! Sneaky but pleasing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening its getting colder .

some pictures of some of my pots etc, still more daffs to flower and tulips.

These are supposed to be purple hyathins but I like the white as well but for the rogue blue one

The deformed leafs is blister aphid , just leave them be I do.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love your pots, Perki! The pansies are so nice and the blue hyacinth actually goes very well with the pot! The last pot looks lovely - Is it stone or plastic? I saw quite a lot of people buying up big pots and they were so light and yet they look like stone work or concrete mould. £14! Not cheap at all. Here in East London, I avoid using terracotta pots - too much watering. My tulips are coming on their own now and daff are still going but some have faded.

Can't wait for the rain to come! Monty has showcased a most beautiful erythronium twice

Monty's

Something similar to this

Very pretty and in my case, I won't have any flower this year! Last year, I had one. This year, I have had nothing but leaves.

Saw the orchids for sale with flowering stem in gc on Sunday. I have new shoots, but no flowering stems!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The deadly spores that could be hiding in your home or garden:
  • Sandra Hicks, from Verwood in Dorset, has resistant fungal infection in her lungs
  • Disease aspergillosis has slowly been causing permanent damage to her body
  • Exposure to azole from farming means fungi are able to evolve resistance to it
I remember a documentary about an American family blighted by dangerous fungus growth. Son's development was halted by it and the husband had to rely on aide-memoire to help him through the day!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Eureka moment
SAM_0659.JPG

Wonder where I can buy this - Eureka blueberry - huge!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well its rained but we needed it , put some moss killer down last week and it weren't going off properly due to it being on the dryish side.

The pots are fibrecotta and them to cost quite a bit , think they are about 50 cm tall by 50 wide and cost around £60 - 65 for a pair, they are getting damaged though wind blows them over in autumn ( narrow base ) and they hit the door step, I am not to bothered I get bigger pots when these or one of them are finished.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's a shame, Perki! You probably need a brick to anchor the pot or huddle them together. The winds in this country are quite something. The motifs are quite high definition and looks impressive!

Have been ill ever since going out. Shivered and felt the cold acutely. Came home and covered myself in layers and was still cold and miserable.:inpain: Applied some ointment and I smell like a camphor plant and took 2 paracetamols. Now a bit better.

Did anybody mention RAIN!?

Well, it did rain, but not more than 2 inches in butts .. Great expectation and nothing to show for it. The violet blobs always miss us, and the sunshine is out to help evaporate what the token drops. I had put out 10 pots to catch THE rain!

Brought a delphinium Black Knight! Life is just too short to worry about £2.69! Was thinking of buying a spiderwoman dahlia from another gc as today is pensioners' treat everywhere, but the pain and cold were too much to bear! Hope my son knows it's mothering day, again! I'm not eating any way. Starve the bugs and now I will have to think about where to put the 30 odd trays of fledgling seedlings! :eek::banghead::inpain:

2nd viewing on Saturday and you just watch, nothing will come out of it. And last time they asked us, "Where are you moving to?" That is another stressful bit! I feel so happy for Grey Parrot as she is laying the foundation for her garden after moving away from nasty neighbour!

The renters next door bought some big boards from B&Q. If I paid that much money for rent (nearly 2K with £400k for fees), I would buy myself a little place, a place in my name!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question