Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went to the allotment yesterday

Son's iphone - all hazy and no good!

Creme de Cassis - strong black stems and quite prolific!
creme de cassis.JPG

Aster Bahamas! I have several big clumps - going to be like fireworks
Aster PINK.JPG

Slow Lobelia Tupa
lobeT.JPG
lobeTu.JPG

A scale down version of Rajman Firecracker! Still my favorite!
Rajman.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Horses thought they were going to be fed

horse.JPG

We saw a lot more, but I didn't have my camera with me! Majestic animals and I got to touch 2 of them. Beautiful beasts!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It been a grand day again :cool: but rain forecast tomorrow has ruined my plans again , harrogate last week andI were going to go to levens Hall for a nosy .

Your Lobelia Tupa doing better than mine alp , mine has really sparse flowers looks like most of them have fall off :unsure:.

I've ripped my front lawn up as well during the week, been moving the turf this morning and raid by old turf stack for some soil , I've got some bowling green grass seed for it but need more sand and top soil first.

The front lawn :eek:
DSC00903.JPG
DSC00896.JPG

Comma butterfly i tried to get a pic of
DSC00892.JPG
DSC00889.JPG

Tartan
DSC00902.JPG
DSC00905.JPG
DSC00906.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perki - When I saw your dahlia Tartan, I was most upset as I did buy it. It's on THE LIST, but it has been a no show! Your 2 gardens are full of lovely plantings. Mine have been full of hopes and the heat has been unbearable. What is that red flower umbellifer please? Compact planting and rich tapestry! I feel like turning my front lawn into a wild meadows. When I was in one of the Wyevales, there were tons of yellow rattles. I was so tempted. Then I saw Monty creating a wild meadow. Can't bear the front being messy though. I keep nearly 60 feet of back lawn as I need the openness. I just don't like being hemmed in.

Please don't go to Levens Hall when it's raining. We had no choice as we had a tight schedule. Even the ticket seller said it was a horrible day. We had to sit under the topiary to escape being wet. It's a magical place, but better in fair weather and actually even better viewed via a drone. I think the whole country enjoyed glorious weather yesterday, so happy for those who had been constantly rained upon.

Believe it or not, I have 6 types of dahlias trying to throw up flowers. The word is TRYING! :banghead: :banghead:

Yes, rain predicted has ruined my plan too. Was thinking of going to the flower show in Hyde Hall. Not a drop of rain now.

1569129503545.png

Yesterday, I took 3 cuttings each of some alstroemerias - Inticancha pink, dark purple and more Inca Replay. Also planted out some Express broad beans. Will sow some lettuces and pak chois on the patch where my hellebores were being fried. Yesterday, we had a big harvest of both lettuces AGM Chatswoth and Pak Choi Shanghai. Chatsworth lettuces were very tasty and son and I enjoyed them enormously:joyful:. But I had to use a lot of water to wash off the dirt. Bought tons of cress seeds and warned son that he would be fed up of the very sight of it. Have 4 trays on the go!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The purple plant is a Eupatorium Purple Bush to be exact but they is plenty of different cultivars, mine supposed to be one of the smaller ones at 5ft but mine easy gets to 7ft.

Didn't go out at all today but to lidl and got some allium mount everest and daffodil bulbs, done more work on the front lawn hopefully I will finish it off tomorrow, it were to wet to trod on to push any air pockets out. Lashed it down this morning and were thundering woke me up :mad:. I wore gloves while doing the front lawn work as soon as I finished I removed the gloves and started plant autumn crocus and weeding resulting in filthy hands surprisingly :unsure: why I bother wearing gloves is a mystery . Potted on some seedling as well echinacea pallida - verbascum nigrium album - agastache liquorice white.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How I wish rain would lash down on me! I know I sound like a depressing broken record - :banghead: I had 15 minutes of rain in the morning and the same in the afternoon. So that means I have to water later on. I started the washing machine, but it looks dark and dank outside,

I really like verbascum and I actually had a tall one growing on the dwarf wall - very dwarf! - last year. Love the pink and mauve flowers and they usually self seeded themselves. Last year, they have not revisited. That verbascum nigrium album sounds like a misnomer - nigri sounds like, alba sounds white. Perhaps - it has black colour, but google has shown up white spike. Echinacea seeds are hard work. I have only one Green Twister seed germinating. And I am still waiting for the green twister, yellow paradoxa to flower! :inpain::banghead:. As that woman said in Escape in the Country, "We can't never buy anything at that price in the SE!" That including plants - they are just pricy here, even more than brokers' belt Surrey! But persevere! Seeds are economical and when one flowers, you can collect seeds again.

I really want to get a sanguinsorba and one of this Eupatorium and a tall yellow rudbeckia. Got a Dinner Plate Dazzling Sun and a Manhattan Island Dahlia - no flowers but very little money, but never mind. Got some cuttings from the base or very near the base and hopefully, the cuttings overwinter well in my lean to.

I would wear gloves at all times. It's very difficult to clean your hands after gardening. No amount of scratching or soap or cream can clean them or repair the damage. I remember this cleaning lady wanting to buy my house, her face full of shocking make-up which I think is part of her glossy character. Her hands were like sandpaper or the leaves of a gunnera!

I am also on the look out for more Gladiator and Ambassador bulbs in Lidl, but they only have Purple Sensation. Talking of which I need to sow some in the front garden.

Yesterday, I cleared out most of my echinops. They were troubles. As soon as the seeds hit the ground, they breed like rabbit, just like eryngiums, verbena bonariensis and acanthus mollis! The roots were all broken and they seemed to have gone well deep into the soil or in fact, brick buried by builders. Very troublesome. Verbena roots are not deep and easy to remove, but they go everywhere you don't want them to. Worse still is that the echinop leaves are sooooo prickly, same for eryngium. I'm still waiting for my supermum to come up with flowers. If they do come up, I will be running scared as those in the front lawn just self seeded everywhere and yet at least 2 passers-by took photos of them. :unsure: And what's more, bees love them.

Going to dig up more alstroemerias for cuttings and some asters as well. Just love asters - big clumps of flower and very low maintenance - and the colour palette is huge - white, pink, lilac and blue .. What's not to love!?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Replanted my Crinodendron Ada Hoffman to a sunnier spot as it hasn't flowered whilst the hookerian has been sporting a few lanterns. Very lovely plant as the latter was tiny and yet covered with lanterns with serrated opening. Also removed a Viburnum p Mariesii from its pot to the border. Hopefully, it is happier now that it's free-ranged.

Yesterday, I dug up 2 hydrangeas to take to the allotment. Quarter to 5, rain started but it was a gentle affair and it turned into spits 7.30 and by 9 the road across was dried up. Went out and the slim-butt hadn't overthrown. Managed expectation is what is needed when it comes to rain in this desert deserted by liquid gold.

Read this story and found it fascinating

1569302388109.png

1569302486184.png

Can't wait to sow some more broad beans, lettuce seeds. Again, I'm late, but hey, they are so cheap and it's constantly baking here!

Heavens have taken pity on me, now it's raining earnestly - the loudest I have heard ever since yesterday.

argyranthemum is really flourishing in this spot! What a delight and it has been flowering for a long long time and has bushed up lately.
SAM_1083.JPG
SAM_1084.JPG
SAM_1085.JPG

Finally, I can capture the delicate beauty of this Salvia Salmon Dance - compared with Joy and Nachtvlinder, the flowers are much bigger and the peachiness just gorgeous!
SAM_1088.JPG
SAM_1090.JPG
SAM_1091.JPG

Aster Bahamas
SAM_1092.JPG

Here's something new - Salvia amethyst lips. Someone from Africa is crazy about it. It's OK, not as stunning as quite a few other salvias.
SAM_1086.JPG

Behind it is Salvia Blue Note which I bought from Longacres in Chelmsford. And alstroemeria Replay next to it. Bought from my beloved nursery!

Attachments

• SAM_1089.JPG
    SAM_1089.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It hasn't rained like this for nearly 2 years! Nearly all the water butts are 3/4 full and what's best is that the garden has had a real good soak! At one point, there was even thunder rumbling. When the sun did come out, it was very humid. I even managed to weed a bit. ...

1569386246739.png

London underground yesterday because of the torrential rain. The underground is really Dickensian - old and dilapidated. Wonder what's wrong with that woman - she needed to be carried? Gosh! I've read the article and the photos show so much damage caused by Humberto!

1569385790484.png

95%?? No, it's not raining at all. However, it's only 5.30am!

My laptop screen just went and I had to reboot it twice. F2 is my trusted friend. I think this beloved laptop of mine is on the last leg or the MOTHER of all bots has taken control of it. Yesterday, I typed: I am planning to stay here for one year more and all the potted plants are showing stress and then I couldn't find where this text had gone. It's just nowhere to be found.

Amazingly, Google Chrome asked me if I wanted to restore pages, I normally didn't and when I clicked yes. The typed text was still there. This forum is very good and well done to the designers as it seems to be able to save text very quickly.

Finally, my lobelia tupa has woken up. The other two are still sleeping whilst one very robust one and a much smaller one had been torn right at the base by foxes. Yesterday, one young challenger even came to the middle of the gardener during day time before 2pm! Thank heavens that I planted these 3 high up in the dwarf wall.

SAM_1097.JPG
SAM_1098.JPG

Aster Girasol is a bit slow
SAM_1099.JPG

Aster Bahama is very happy in the allotment. I often wonder how much sunlight and heat plants need! As there is unimpeded sunshine in the allotment and there were tons of buds in the ones there. This one here at home looks pathetic. See the green wire, I had to fence off the whole of the middle patch after foxes had had a good time clearing up my plants including dahlias.
SAM_1100.JPG

See this new dahlia - so late in the season! Or I think the season finishes with August!?
SAM_1101.JPG

I really love this Emilia the Irish Poet! Next time, I will clump them tight together. The colour is fab! On par with that of Trollius - but my camera actually managed to capture the orange! :joyful: :cat:
SAM_1102.JPG

Either Aster Barbados. Just gorgeous daisy!
SAM_1103.JPG
SAM_1104.JPG

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, I went pass my cirsium which I bought for £2 with 2 buds and decided to see if the red bud had finally bloomed. To my absolute horror, I couldn't see red and I thought it was dark - 6pm. I went closer to try to locate the bud and only the bud had been snapped off. So annoyed. :inpain: :banghead: :cry: And now, I have only one more chance of seeing it in flower in my garden.

Sown Echinacea Pallida seeds, some purpurea seeds, Ammi Majus seeds, lots of salad, Pak Choi Shanghai, Daucus, broadcast some California poppies - yellow ones and double Champagne, some agapanthus seeds, some delphinium seeds.

1569472650464.png

Now that the rain has loosen up the clay, best day for weeding in the back garden.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Winter is coming early for parts of US

Disturbing stories 1 and 2 yesterday.

1: I think the dogs were protecting the girl when she argued with her mum. Don't argue with your kids if you keep such dogs.
2: Beware of your neighbours' dogs, and take extra care of you fences. BBQ, or even cooking when it's hot and you open your door can be a very dangerous time. A man mauled to death because he was cooking sausages and he opened his door in the hot weather.

Rats running amok in the house, hen coop, work shop and garden. Saw a tiny one running away from the hen coop and yesterday, had to decant a dead one inside the chickens' drinking pot. Lots of rats' calling cards inside the feed for chicks and yesterday, son saw a traveller inside the living room. I'm waiting for him to get up to hoover up everything. Harvested my Thalictrum Delavayi Splendide seeds. Weeded the front lawn. Going to plant a border near the front to screen off the heat and I'm putting a Callicarpa Profusion and a Viburnum P Mariesii outside and hope nobody digs it up.

Going to clear out the back and grow some vine on the west facing wall. Lock up chicken feeds and remove straws and spray tons of peppermint essential oil. First go to Wyevale Ongar for the last time or go to my beloved gc today.

The dahlia I wanted to get rid of last year is now flowering. Such a tiny garden and all the plants need to earn their keep.
SAM_1110.JPG

I might still get rid of this one. I don't have much room.
SAM_1111.JPG

My only remaining Cirsium Atropurpureum. Need to do something drastic!

Aster Girasol is a bit of a let down.
SAM_1112.JPG
SAM_1113.JPG

Photos taken very late. Not very good. Apologies!

Couldn't find this post yesterday morning, so I gave up and went about my business. Saw Monty's cirsium yesterday, very tall and still sporting 3 flowers .. Beautiful plant.

Got a red pompon Natal and a yellow red cacti dahlia. So many dahlas haven't flowered - Hazy days, Tsuki nor .. (white one), Teesbrooke Audry,, crying times! Today will be spent in the allotment, weeding and planting.

Went to M&S and picked up some food items and I have to say I understand why they said It's M&S stuff. The steam prawn dimsum was fabulous and the scones were delicious. Even my fussy son loved it. Bought some rat trap and of course, all the cheese bits disappeared and no rats to be found. :banghead: :banghead:

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Happy harvest time

From allotment Deer Antler cacti dahlia
SAM_1137.JPG
SAM_1138.JPG

Aster Bahambas - very big and full of beautiful blooms
SAM_1139.JPG
SAM_1140.JPG
SAM_1141.JPG
SAM_1142.JPG
SAM_1143.JPG
SAM_1144.JPG

Hypericum
SAM_1145.JPG

Blue Bayou
SAM_1146.JPG
SAM_1147.JPG

Creme de Cassis with wonderful black stems and upright habit, no staking needed.
SAM_1148.JPG
SAM_1149.JPG

Harvest time for my blue Agapanthus
SAM_1150.JPG
SAM_1151.JPG
SAM_1153.JPG

Nerine, I think
SAM_1154.JPG
SAM_1155.JPG
SAM_1156.JPG
SAM_1157.JPG
SAM_1158.JPG

Aster Girasol
SAM_1159.JPG
SAM_1160.JPG
SAM_1161.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_1152.JPG
    SAM_1152.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 95

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly, big toms are very attractive to SS, and really left me with no harvest
SAM_1162.JPG

Had this broccoli for dinner and I had to use two rounds of water and tear all the florets apart to get rid of the butterfly caterpillars. Hard work being organic! It's actually a bonus as I never expected any harvest at all.
SAM_1163.JPG

A big dahlia trying to join the party!
SAM_1164.JPG
SAM_1166.JPG
SAM_1167.JPG

Rajman Firecracker doesn't seem to do well here.
SAM_1168.JPG
SAM_1169.JPG

Patty pans most tasteless
SAM_1134.JPG

Lobelia Tupa again.
SAM_1135.JPG

The best sweetcorns there are - young, sweet and juicy!
SAM_1170.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_1133.JPG
    SAM_1133.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 86
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your sweetcorns are impressive alp .

It hardly stop raining here for nearly a week , only done about a day and half of work . Back lawn getting long cant get the mower out with the weather. My plans to go to Levens hall this year have finished :(

Hoping to go to harlow carr again instead , they have a helleborus Double white Picotee in stock ( according to their plant list ) I've been trying to get hold of it from Spring this year finding it very difficult to find otherwise, farmyard nursery have some in 9cm pots but hoping for bigger I want flowers next year. I might get a RHS membership while I am there and have a look around, The new RHS Bridgewater garden supposed to be opening next year which is only 20 mile away from me :) so will get good use out of it next year.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, Perki! Stav, BBC weatherman said at at the beginning of September, SE had a deficit of rainfull and now after Humberto, we were 80% of the target! What a relief! I know it's hard for you in the north, but it has been a much needed soak for me. Levens Hall looks better when it's dry or from above. Perhaps next year. You live so near, not such a big problem. Also, whizzing around in a motorbike is pleasurable. Although if I were your mum, I would be so worried. If you can visit Sizergh Castle, it is really worth it. It had a fabulous and historic garden, filled with all sorts of acers. A real treat for me!

Think this time is a bit late for 9cm picotee. Perhaps, you can wait for mine to flower and let me see if I have any sideshoots. Mind you, I don't look after my stuff and quite a few of them might have died and all my labels are lost. I'm totally hopeless. I have cancelled our membership as it jumped up quite a bit and I will apply for it when we need to use it next year. As son works 6 days a week, very difficult to go anywhere.

Talking about too late, I am very disappointed as I can't order any Erythronium, pink with petal up tilt or Snowflakes. They have the pinkish one with back tilt petals by Taylors and I am very annoyed in my gc. They all looked dehydrated and it's only September. Fancying them as new arrivals to my beloved gc and already they are tiny, no, miniscule, brown, shrivelled, totally lifeless. There are about 8 packets of these and yet I couldn't force myself to buy any. They were this bad. Twelve Nuns had a limited catalogue and I was amazed Zenji could buy or had ordered some hellebores from them. Any way, the runs were out of stock for Snowflakes this morning. J Parkers wholesales stocked Snowflakes but I must buy 5 lots of 12. Peter Nyssen didn't stock them. It's only the beginning of October and already I am looking at a bleak spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Well we had a nice long weekend at Otterburn about a hours run from us for one of our nephews wedding stayed. at Otterburn castle very nice lucky as on Friday rained all the way there ,but yesterday day of the wedding it was lovely sunny and pleasantly warm ,but today rain all the way back,same here impossible to mow the lawns just water logged.

Reactions: alp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question