36ADF0BD-52A3-47B5-9A78-F5505B6FF221.jpeg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
WOW! That's so beautiful. I have one too, minus the flower. Bought very late, and now 4 strands of strings sowing! :cry: :banghead: That's what you get for 50p reduced clearance stuff! Very pretty. Please take more photos!

Just come back from town centre. The black grapes from Alid was deliciously sweet and it's only £1.19! So hungry that I ate some on the way home! Nearly 3pm.

All the reduced plants from Wyevale in Ongar have GONE! Thought I might be able to pick up some conifers, but none left. Going to sit for to unwind. Have been to the allotment as well. Thought I bought Creme de Cassise. Well, another wrong dahlia in the packet.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to be ideal weather for pottering in the garden. I want to plant some more mature plants and age the garden a bit.

1568433149372.png

Planted some beans at the end of August and was pleasantly surprised to see beans and I harvested about 10 yesterday for dinner. Roasted half a bit squash yesterday. Going to plant some lettuces later and use the cloches I bought and hope it can help me sow cabbages or cauliflowers next year.

Might go to the seaside to pick up some seaweed above the shoreline for my plants.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went to another Wyevale, but only the seeds were cheaper. 20p instead of 50p.

Did a bit of separating hellebores, but it was too hot, so gave up. People were stewed in rain and I was drenched in sweat! I do believe I get hot and sweaty too readily.

Son told me I could get to a nursery in half an hour. He was thinking in terms of his car speed. It took me more than an hour and there was nothing much.

Got rid of part of Patty pan plant. Not impressed with the texture of flavour (as if there were any!)

SAM_1014.JPG

Still have some in the allotment.

Going to grow my lettuce outside now that I have some burnt bits from my bonfire yesterday. Only way to stop the slugs. I will use it sparingly.

Another very hot day
1568522913714.png

26c! Oh la la! Read the RHS magazine en route to the gc and found out that the change in temperatures means we can have longer flowering period for salvias! I wish! Those dried up prune, er, no, Salvias that I bought earlier are still clinging to the soil with leaves and that's my luck. Chance of any flowers is dismal. £5 each and no flowers. I would rather go to my favorite gc and see what they have reduced. We gardeners live in hope - hope to see the flowers next year! Hopeless romantics we are!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looks like you've still got the weather alp , 26'C it only 13'C here and tomorrow 14'c but supposed to warm up and be drier over next week . Were going to go to Harrogate Autumn Flower show today but when I got up it were raining again, was still thinking of going still but its no good walking around in wet clothes and it had forecast rain later as well :( I didn't go last year either because of the weather , I believe its moving as well ( the Autumn show ) up the road to ripon to a large garden called Newby Hall,looks like a nice big garden with huge herbaceous borders so maybe next year I'll get to go :unsure:

I was hoping to get some bulbs from Harrogate but obviously haven't so I've been online instead looking for bulbs instead. Think I'll get them from peter nyssen this year , other suppliers seem quite expensive now especially for tulip bulbs .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We are going to ours on 22nd as son doesn't have to work on Sundays. Flower shows are flogging quite expensive stuff. I wish to go on Saturday when we will have a longer day, but as son has to work, very little I can do.

Your garden is going strong, Perki! Such a lovely and rich display. Mine is full of gaps and holes.Foxes don't help - they scraped away my plants and created holes and retarded the growth of my dahlias. Amazing that your greenhouse is still full of stuff. My propagators have been retired as the lack of moisture has killed a lot of cuttings. The soil was so dry. I kept putting cuttings in and they kept dying on me. I then realised my whole lean to is a giant propagator.

I have now 2 greenhouses waiting for me to be put back up. But to be honest, this area, especially the south and west facing aspects of my garden, is so hot that there is really no need for a greenhouse. It was so hot yesterday when travelling in the car. So all Wyevales are sold - the one near us to Lincolnshire brothers Briggs, one in Chelmsford to Longacres which is already up and running. Rayleigh could be to propeerty developer and Ongar one could be to another one. Went to one Harlow Garden Centre and it was most beautiful - even with a train running for fun at the end of the garden. Very beautiful gc and it was owned by Blue Diamond.

Had a fun day yesterday.

I bought a yellow Agastache, a red echinacea Tomato soup, another tray of box, a tub of fat balls at £4 for 50.

Yes, serious hot days ahead

1568607106011.png

1568607191158.png

I wish I could dish out some sunshine! Scared of the stuff! Only good thing is that gas bill might be a bit lower, but the lack of rain will seriously work me hard!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Spent about 5 hours watering and a tiny bit of weeding in the allotment plot. Right at the end, it rained. Well, not for a long time, probably 5 minutes. It really was a perfect day for gardening. No sun and low humidity and a gentle breeze. Just lovely.

1568700044928.png

Giant parsley

SAM_1037.JPG

SAM_1036.JPG

Juicy plum toms - very nice!

Lobelia Tupa is really SLOW!

SAM_1019.JPG
SAM_1020.JPG

Mind you, those at home are not even showing these wonderful spikes!
:banghead:

One half of this seems to be dying. Have to say, a most beautiful dahlia! Need to take some basal cuttings.
SAM_1021.JPG

I lost the labels again!

SAM_1038.JPG

A different one and I like this more!
SAM_1022.JPG
SAM_1023.JPG

Just love gaura. Shame the one on the front lawn was killed probably by snow.
SAM_1035.JPG

SAM_1024.JPG

50p for gladioli with 3 different colours - lilac, yellow and red! Not bad!
SAM_1025.JPG
SAM_1026.JPG
SAM_1027.JPG

Black Honka
SAM_1028.JPG
SAM_1029.JPG

Creme de Cassis with black stems - just like a lotus
SAM_1030.JPG
SAM_1031.JPG
SAM_1032.JPG
SAM_1033.JPG
SAM_1034.JPG

Some dahlias at home are still sulking - I panic a bit as it is already so late!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Want to like again, and again! Stunning clarity and beautiful flowers!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful: :joyful:

Need to sort out my home insurance. It was so hot outside that I had to beat a retreat. Even sun-loving Peter in the allotment said Sunday was too hot for him! :unsure: ;)

Wonder what's the name of that beautiful spider Aster. I really like it. I saw one similar, but son's data threw up something small and there was no other way to verify the size of the flowers as I really don't like the tiny one mentioned by Monty. Must look out for the name.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Night time air here can be so cold. I wonder what it's like north of me! Hot in the afternoon and yet at night the air can send you shivering!

1568786481036.png

I do hope I can get some decent rain on Sunday, but I won't hold my breath. I wanted to go to Hyde Hall on Sunday, but it seems to be a rained off! Son has to work on Saturday! :banghead:

Petunias must know that we are going to have a prolonged Indian Summer
SAM_1039.JPG
SAM_1042.JPG

SAM_1040.JPG
SAM_1041.JPG

These must be from wild seeds.
SAM_1044.JPG

Have no idea of what this is. Not Heliotrope! The flowering spike looks like a salvia's.:unsure:

When you think of it, a tiny seed turns into a petunia pirouette - some metamorphosis! Truly wonders of nature.

Attachments

• SAM_1043.JPG
    SAM_1043.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 88

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all yes alp chilly nights had real feel of 6c but getting better to 10 c real feel now is only 6c here .

6c! Is your heating on? I usually sweat on my leather sofa. But last few nights, I have been shivering and needing a blanket. Glad that you had a lovely day yesterday. Saw in the weather report that warm red colour surge to the top of Scotland and was very happy for those constantly being covered by blue blobs.

Just sowed some broad beans yesterday and will sow some lettuces once I have some cleared land, and they would be covered under cloche at night. Bought 3 of them at Wyevale at £5 each. Strong nylon quality. My lean to is full of cress, mixed salad and Pak Chois and even indoors they are nibbled by DON'T-KNOW-WHATS! Very annoyed. Of course, everything matures at the same time, don't know whether to harvest my lettuces or Pak Choi or courgettes. Got 2 nice ones in the allotment. Wish you guys lived near me!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bargain seaweed
1568871990087.png

for £3. There was some leakage on the bottle, but son said the seal on the top was intact. Also bought a cornus China Girl for £10
SAM_1076.JPG
SAM_1077.JPG

£10 seems to be excessive but compared with those £5.99 which I bought from fleabay, it is a bargain.

2 x this tiny abies Koreana @ £2 each.
SAM_1078.JPG

Going to be a lovely day

1568872215153.png

Friend came and said she really loved this warm weather and I can understand. I wonder if my newly bought salvias will put on a display! Won't buy from that place again.

I have found a way to reduce weight and save money - by growing cress. I told son that he would be sick of the sight of them soon. LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A lovely hot day it was yesterday. All my hellebores have been dry and shrivelled - really high time it rained, PROPERLY!

1568956885078.png

Checking the weather and it's raining on Sunday in Chelmsford where Hyde Hall is. Where I live is allergic to rain! :banghead: :inpain: :cry:

Glad that the whole country is rainless today. ENJOY, GUYS!

Worked out in the area baked by setting sun and moved nearly all the hellebores in pots. But I am worried that they won't set seeds in pots. Nightmare scenario! Going to water in the allotment.

Talking about the glorious weather, this little bit in the paper makes me smile

Looking further ahead, current forecasts predict October will begin with unsettled spells of wind and rain, particularly in the north and west. The record high for September was 96.1F (35.6C) in South Yorkshire in 1906.

35.6c in September! Serious!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question