Magazine style - all inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
@Perki. It is Brit Maria Crawford had it around 4 years, but for some reason it is very dark this year maybe we haven’t had as much sun as usual I have gave it a couple of feeds with liquid seaweed seems to be growing really well hope the flowers are as good.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perki - I'm sure they will be happier if the mercury hits higher than what it was last night. I need to check the label as it could be globemaster from Lidl. Or I might have the labels wrong again. I bought an orange pompon dahlia and a Creme de Cassie very late in the season and even that I confused the labels. Hopeless I am.

Waterlily seeds are so cheap from China and you have seen how they germinate. In fact, my tub is so small and I have added watercress in it. Now I am worried that the seedlings are going to struggle. I might fish them out and give them a better place to flourish. I never expected them to germinate so quickly.

Think it's going to be a fine day.

Will definitely go to the allotment.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Perki. It is Brit Maria Crawford had it around 4 years, but for some reason it is very dark this year maybe we haven’t had as much sun as usual I have gave it a couple of feeds with liquid seaweed seems to be growing really well hope the flowers are as good.

Where did you get your liquid seaweed please, Zenj? I remember you said you got some from Wilko with seasweed added to a bottle. I so want one. But every time I went to Homebase, they were gone! £8 for 2 or £8 for 1, I always ended up with an empty shelf!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Too much rain?? View in Kent!

Watched Carol Klein yesterday on C5 on demand. Will watch her episode tonight at 9pm on 5HD. This will be on John's garden in Ashwood nurseries, Derby. Can't wait to see the snowdrops, hellebores and hepaticas.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just reserved one organic one from Homebase. They were 2 for £8 during Easter. Grrrrrrrrrrr! Going out to view a house. So fed up with the saga. Was looking for your tip, Zenj and Wilko threw up the old one .

See if I can get cash back and then reserve again! Hehe!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Peony Mr Hemerick from Kelway
SAM_1476.JPG

Wladyslawa from Lidl
Lidl
SAM_1479.JPG

Rose
SAM_1480.JPG
SAM_1483.JPG

Some strange buds on my lily

SAM_1485.JPG

Different from the usual pest red lily beetles

My favorite delphinium
SAM_1493.JPG

A pink salvai
SAM_1494.JPG

SAM_1495.JPG

SAM_1496.JPG

A nest in a gc - funny thing happens and this nest was right in the middle of the rows of plants! Made me smile when I spotted her!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to another bright day. We have had no flood here. Last night, I actually remembered to watch Ashwood John Massey's garden. He was awarded VMH in 2016, a bit earlier than Carol Klein. The garden was beautfiul, Yet, in my bid to stay awake to feast on every frame of the documentary, I found myself drifting in and out and finally was totally out of it in the last 20 minutes. I can't believe he planted his stretopcarpus OUTSIDE, in this garden. It surely was a beautiful garden, with a canal bordering it.

Yesterday was a happy day, I got several perennial half price 1)White Physostegia virginiana Crystal Peak White, Physostegia virginiana 'Crystal Peak White',

A gaura white one

An agapanthus Enigma blue to white for £1.49. And one more which I can't remember.

Then I bought a black and white collection of dahlia with Obsidian black dahlia, just like @Zenl 's and hopefully, it's not too late for show. I could buy this bag for 50p as all the shoots are up. Indeed, I should have taken some cuttings. Most of the other tubers were hard as my heart! Ooops!

2 more 50p bags of gladioli and I blame zenj's ones for this unexpected outlay! As the man in the advert said, "With such a discount, how can I resist it?" Then we were told that there were free onion and shallot sets and so I grabbed 3 to give away.

Boy, it's hard work. One gentleman (nice old man who always says hello!) in the allotment took one and another (the one who gave me artichoke) queried if it was last year's stock! Wawawa! :cry: :banghead:, but he took it any way! Such a relief! We don't grow any of those, but how could I resist it? Now I still have one bag left.

We also came home with some freebies - fragrant nonsense which nobody buys! But they came with a very chic bag. I also bought 4 flowering alstroemeria for £10 in the nursery in which we saw the robin nest! I hope slugs will spare them. Already planted in the allotment. Saw this man making a wireframe around his plant. Serious matter! He said he laid it out in the honour of Mr Fox!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all a rough night very windy and wet and was forecasting a real feel low of 3c who says it’s June ,a few of the tall plants are down ,will have to see to them later as off-to Newcastle to collect new glasses and the better half as to have her hearing aid mot at Boots .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning , its hardly stopped raining yet it started raining about 11pm monday and but for an hour yesterday afternoon its been continuous, forecast to be cloudy today but raining typical.

Went GC yesterday to pick a largish pot up for somebody got myself a pittosporum tom thumb and I bought my mum a Viburnum Maursii . I went to the same GC on sunday on bike I got a streptocarpus and a alpine plant which I usually avoid but I were quite taken with this one Chiastophyllum oppositifolium , I've seen pictures of them before and wonder what they were, I thought they were a sedum originally but they are a relation to sedums

The rain / wind hasn't really flattened any tall plants but for one or 2 foxglove , its ruined my smaller plants like geraniums - aquilegia and antirrhinium from last year. I have a delphinium in the back which is reaching for the stars, about 7ft and still growing with no canes in.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, my Australia Bottlebrush was down several times and now I can't even be bothered to pick it up. We don't have wind or rain. I don't want wind, but rain is still welcome. At the moment, no rain or wind. I'm soaking all my blueberries and apple trees, hopefully, before rain sets in.

What streptocarpus have you got, Perki ? At one point, diy gc reduced them to 50p. Don't think they stock it any more. Amazing your delphinum growing so tall. Mine not even 2 feet, already snapped and ON THE FLOOR, but I think it's Mr Slug's good work!

I am so fed up with looking at lovely gardens, phoning up to be told they were sold yesterday or just now. Earlier, I phoned a man who was so stressed that he should be in mental health unit. I just quickly asked him to do the search AT HIS OWN PACE! Don't want to upset his poor soul any further!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope Zenj reads this in time. Both Home Bargains and Wilko are doing reduction of mealworms. £7.99 for 1L in HB and £4 in Wilko. Also, I got the seaweed feed for £4 in Wilko. I bought 2L's worth of mealworms.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We dashed to see a place yesterday - a house with 180 foot garden. The front yard was beautifully done and yet the car was parked in front of the yard on the public road. The house was small and compact and inside the house there was a huge bird cage. The garden was beautifully decked by the man and after 70 foot of lawn, the rest was dedicated to sheds, cages and more cages - one for ferrets, one for hens, and an aviary for birds and about 5 more sheds. They couldn't move fast as they needed a seller and judging by the amount of stuff, they couldn't move fast, so one hope dashed.

It hardly rained last night, only a bit of constant drizzle. Must go to the allotment to inspect slug damage. I'm worried about my slug magnet - alstroemerias.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I think I have found a potential house with 90 foot garden. The house is too small, but the location is great and the garden big, but tons of slabs need to be lifted. :unsure: :eek: :banghead:

The previous owner was a keen gardener, but as health failed, he slabbed his garden! The house is small, but the other brand new 100 foot garden house was sold. Another with 125 feet also sold. Going to see one near Wyevale on Sunday. If I bought it, I could walk to Wyevale for bargains.

Paeonia lactiflora ‘Mr G.F. Hemerik’
SAM_0241.JPG

My petunia pirouette. Double Duo, lovely Calibrachoa and a magenta surfinia
SAM_0242.JPG
SAM_0243.JPG
SAM_0244.JPG
SAM_0245.JPG
SAM_0246.JPG

I hope I could keep their cuttings all through the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question