Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I've had only 2 inches of rain! So much for the downpour and neon green blobs :inpain: :cry: :banghead: :mad:. I hope Wainfleet has had no rain last night. Such a trauma to see dirty flooding up to bath's height. Upsetting!

Now I have 4 empty butts and the mercury is going to hit 23c, according to the inepts!

My left hand is swollen to more than 1/3 of its size and no wonder people said that bee sting is used to smooth wrinkled spaghetti face! My hand is certainly smooth and so taut that I can hardly stretch it. Was very itchy last night. Amazing how wasp sting can paralyse your nerves!

I'm looking forward to another stretch of rain! A day dedicated to weeding!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Escape to the country yesterday

Such a unique and beautiful property with a fabulous setting! How pure can it get? The man bought the house! Soooo lucky!

In the news - Double your money, Grand Designs way

4th time lucky! This folly doubled its value - from £400 to more than £800K and of course, it looks magical, but inside, it is a jumbled mess because of the constraints of the shape of the folly - folly by name, folly by nature! On an acre of land though. Good for holiday let! A bit of magical experience and it's full of history!

Don't leave your house unoccupied for more than 2 months. At least, get your neighbours/friends to check the post!

I came home to find my house had been stolen! Fraudsters intercepted my mail, altered Land Registry records — and got their hands on my property

Another man found out that his late mum's house had been broken into and re-decorated and a family moved in. He went to the court and the court ruled in the stranger's favour!

Bronze bowl used by a family to store tennis balls has sold for almost £4 MILLION after expert spots the unique 300-year-old Chinese relic in their hall

Such a beautiful piece of art!

My bargains
Of course, the Manhattan Lights Lupin, Peony Butterfly, Coral Fay (one with darker leaves) and Coral Sunset! £3 each! I paid that much for the bare tubers in Lidl Butterfly is in a 5L pot!

SAM_1563.JPG
SAM_1564.JPG
SAM_1565.JPG

I'm going to repot them and chop some into bits for stock multiplication, if possible or later in the year!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, cheated, again! Half a butt of rain water and today, there is even less predicted.

Well, no! None predicted. :unsure: :banghead:

Yesterday, I cleared all the rhubarbs from my allotment and all the slugs and snails came out to annoy me. Some of my alstroemerias have formed seedpods and the SS annihilated them whilst others were decapitated. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Thanks to the previous plot owners that it was easier to dig as there was quite a bit of sand incorporated. Clearing the rhubarbs was done under 2 hours. No mean feat! I moved about 15 hellebores to the allotment and planted them out yesterday. Hopefully, I can vacate an area for a greenhouse in my garden.

That sinking feeling: Couple are left 'devastated' after their £850,000 Norfolk Broads cottage develops a severe tilt 'overnight' - forcing them to abandon their home of 17 years

Such a
lovely thatched cottage and now it's tilting, listing, subsiding .. Heartbreaking stuff!

Another thing that is out of kilter

Lost polar bear wanders onto garbage pile after straying '950 miles in the wrong direction' ..
  • The predator trekked hundreds of miles after losing its way in the Arctic Ocean
  • It was seen dodging traffic in the city of Norilsk as locals took photographs
  • The emaciated polar bear was seen turning over garbage in the industrial city
  • The dangerous beast is being guarded by armed police as it scavenges food

We really must throw away less!
Has the mystery of Peru's Nazca lines finally been solved? Scientists reveal the famous carvings identify seabirds and could have been used in rainfall ceremonies
  • Etched into the desert the mysterious artworks depict animals, plants, and lines

Intriguing!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice! So many flame throwers! Stunning! I have only 3 to contend with! The Buddha! That's why the zen from?!

Very nice size garden, Zenj!

That delphinium is stunning! That blue is so beautifully saturated. I hope I can find the light blue and violet delphinium I had for sale.

Came home 7.10am and was amazed by the numerous Trollius blooms. My dinner plate on the side of the laptop. Was at the allotment from 2 to 7 and talked for an hour and a half. Not a drop of rain.

Is the foxgloves Firebird? Very trendy to have this kind of foxgloves these days. They had something similar for sale, but there is only a tiny corner for foxgloves and astilbes in my garden and that is about 1.5 square feet. I am praying my astibles will flower this year! They never flower for me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Foxglove is rose harmony ,no not the Buddha the zen is short for zenith a company I worked at .

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If the foxglove similar to yours is still at the nursery, I will buy it if it is £2. Shame some of them asked for £4.49 even reduced. A staff member told me that one pot was reduced from £22.99 to £3! I said to her, "Why do you think I am here every weekend!" True, but the Bletilla striata was still asking for £10.99 and there was only one! :banghead:

Brezia Maxima showing big seeds!

SAM_1569.JPG
SAM_1570.JPG

Salomon's Dance very happy here

SAM_1573.JPG

All this time, I have had this beautiful rose languishing at the back, near the hen coop!
SAM_1575.JPG
SAM_1578.JPG
SAM_1579.JPG

Greater Quaking grass looks stunning!

Attachments

• SAM_1574.JPG
    SAM_1574.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_1576.JPG
    SAM_1576.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 97
  • SAM_1577.JPG
    SAM_1577.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Foxglove is rose harmony ,no not the Buddha the zen is short for zenith a company I worked at .

Not the double glazed window company?? Zenith is a good name. Must have been a good company! Gardening related?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

27c! :cry::cry::inpain: I need a bunker!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Was thinking feeding the chickens with mangoes. In the end, I had better luck! Poor chickens!
SAM_1581.JPG

These are the alstroemerias that I bought. £2.50 each and of course, the slugs had had a feast!
SAM_1583.JPG
SAM_1584.JPG
SAM_1585.JPG
SAM_1586.JPG
SAM_1587.JPG

I wish I had some of these alstroemerias at home. The allotment had all sorts of attacks. SS, pigeons, birds ..
SAM_1588.JPG

Phygelia are very happy there though
SAM_1589.JPG
SAM_1590.JPG
SAM_1591.JPG

My first dahlias were in the allotments - 2 of them.
SAM_1592.JPG

Hydrangea in the allotment.
SAM_1593.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Not the double glazed window company?? Zenith is a good name. Must have been a good company! Gardening related?
No the company I worked for was a plumbing and heating merchants they changed their name a good few times,I worked for them for 25 years as manager of two of there branches in Northumberland .

Reactions: alp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question