United Kingdom

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
DrCase: the pink of your lilies is so delicate. I wish I had one like that. I need to go out to fill up the hole near my tree lilies, probably dug up by squirrels who straight away had hidden a peanut in my hanging basket. My lilies are so slow. I love them as they don't need watering. Very sad as even my cistuses are crying out for water! The hundreds of buds have turned yellow.

It's a bit dull and on the chilly side this morning. Shouldn't complain and wish it was pouring down. No, just overcast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all plenty of rain here rained non stop from 6 am last night and still raining pond is overflowing and according to forecast a lot more on way.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all plenty of rain here rained non stop from 6 am last night and still raining pond is overflowing and according to forecast a lot more on way.

Sooooo awful! I so feel for you. It's not funny! I sometimes use my eyes to will the neon blobs to where I live. Sad that I am not a witch! I sometimes wish I were with regards to rain and foul smells!

I think my Mr Hemerick peony is a bit shy because of the cold weather and it's quite windy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
How are those hens alp? I see one was put in a naughty pen. Eating their eggs are they. I had that problem at times when I was a teenager and had my little egg business. Generally my problem was thin shells due to a lack in their diet, once corrected the problem was fixed. However some hens once they got the taste of egg, would never stop eating them. I executed those birds when I caught them.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
John: One hen died and another hen was gobbled up by Mr Fox. I free-ranged them so that they could have mud bath, eat grit, pick worms and run around. But Mr Fox had other idea and my beloved Baldie was no where to be found, not even a feather! She used to eat lettuce leaves from my hen and those two hens had a bond with me.

Then we bought another two hens which were much bigger and very aggressive. Used to attack me when I was trying to refill their feeders which they invariably knocked down on the ground. They all loved mealworms. I had to be very stern with them and pretend to hit them to teach them not to bite me. Well, they have learnt the lesson and they no longer bite me. They would jump up like acrobats to eat their live worms. I do get some from the wormery to feed them and they love them a lot. Yes, this Goldie is a male and yet he was very aggressive with his polish chicks and would attack the Silkie male called Kusco. I had to separate the two male and Goldie now shares the same cage as the hens. These two hens really have put Goldie in his place. He was so scared of them that he hid himself. Instead of croaking like a male, he went ga-doc! Some kind of sexual confusion!

Now, I have learned to let the hens come out which will send Goldie out of the hen coop and I then lock the door so that the hens can lay their eggs in peace. After we have collected the eggs, we open the door to the hen coop egg laying compartment.

The new buyer couple also keep hens. I was very stressed as they wanted me to be out from 4 to 6 weeks. I was nearly in tears. Any way, the detached house requires too much updating and is still using immersion boiler. I have decided to give it a miss and the estate agent was fuming. I felt like pulling out of the market, but then, the buyer decided they themselves would rent on a monthly basis as long as I am selling the house to them. They are so keen that I think I have undersold. I really am very happy or else I would not have got the chickens, but my son keeps wanting to move. I have not so far seen a garden 100 feet. I want to cry!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a glorious day! Er, the headache continues ...

Been chomping figures and going through a lot of measurements and come out none the wiser! My tabs are all of Purplebricks ..

Feel like just finding detached houses with land for below £290 (I'm sure I will end up in Wales, Scotland or droughty Spalding or rain sodden Lancashire!)

Any way, I need to suppress thinking about this headache and watch The Papers and share my joy of the day! Life is too short.

This monstrosity is a duckling for the swan called Petunia Pirouette

SAM_1441.JPG
SAM_1442.JPG
SAM_1443.JPG
SAM_1444.JPG
SAM_1445.JPG

Foxgloves

Paeonia lactiflora 'Wladyslawa'

SAM_1446.JPG

Briza maxima (Greater quaking grass)

SAM_1447.JPG

Bumble bee on my Salvia Soloman's Dance - a most beautiful flower!
SAM_1449.JPG

An even more feminine version Pink Dyson's Joy!
SAM_1450.JPG

Night Moth
SAM_1451.JPG
SAM_1452.JPG
SAM_1454.JPG

Only wanted to capture the bee!

a handsome wheat?
SAM_1455.JPG
SAM_1456.JPG

Paul Scarlett floribunda!
SAM_1457.JPG
SAM_1459.JPG

Rose Bush Very fragrant Claire Marshall's flower
SAM_1461.JPG

My first harvest - Sugar Snap - Either Sugar Ann most probably! Yummy!
SAM_1462.JPG

So nice to get something from my garden.

Been to Homebase twice and every time we missed the seaweed feed. Might go to Wilko to see if we can get the seaweed feed.

Attachments

• SAM_1453.JPG
    SAM_1453.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 108
  • SAM_1458.JPG
    SAM_1458.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 119
  • SAM_1460.JPG
    SAM_1460.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning! Music to my ears! Raining and the main butts are nearly full - but 6 are still empty. However, most important of all, the gardens and the farms in this area will have a proper soaking. Another day like this will make me very happy.

Been to see some properties and have to say the rooms are tiny and I'd rather not move!

Think Zenj will be very fed up as the neon blobs stay on where he is! Oh, dear! If only I could take some and I think even Perki has had some dry spells.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Well would you believe it as been a gorgeous day, todaysunshine all the way yippee done both lawns weeded twirled some blanket weed out of the pond .heres a few photoes from today.
6E6AD322-4C19-4ACD-98E0-714771508015.jpeg
1FE5EE5D-51C1-4703-A704-FFDC69756EF3.jpeg
27FA3DD3-6EC5-4DE5-888B-ECE8E98C6F92.jpeg
39766E1F-391D-4D84-A98B-FEB60B9BFF67.jpeg
1C7BF2B4-359F-41FD-8E32-9C862D07EC49.jpeg
62900C91-8CBD-4993-B106-1D8FEC3A75B4.jpeg
3D1D00EB-A1A2-47FF-9715-0B9C01582702.jpeg
7F4CB80C-3A03-40F5-B96C-3E3B8E1A5F88.jpeg
71D3E301-DBDD-432A-A24A-701E2B881FBA.jpeg
61A8E757-FA4D-43C4-9A81-A730882332E7.jpeg
A1E7956C-B498-4843-8669-C01AA3659622.jpeg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love the trollius and the last one. Centaurea? Beautiful lilac pink! I think I have the unfortunate blue! Very strange things are happening. I have NOT one fuchsia flowering! Weather seems to be causing something to be topsy turvey here!

Son loved one immaculate new refurbished town house with lights showing on the wall at night and everything was very controlled. For his love of the building, I placed an offer and then I nearly burst into tears as there was NO garden to speak of and then I'm worried about the chickens and the greenhouseS! Thank heavens that the vendor was holding out for more and there has been no following up.

It's soooooo cold outside. I feel so sorry for my toms. My courgette (used to be courgettes) seems to be stunned in its growth. Ever after incorporating the wood chips (they were pretty raw, but I had had so much, I just put them everywhere), plants have never been the same. Chicks must have been cold as they were inactive and didn't stir even when mealworms were used to see if they were alive!

Ooops! For your reference, this is my best show for trollius

SAM_1474.JPG

And this is my dreaded Echinops which send their roots down to Australia! Another love-hate plant.
SAM_1475.JPG

Allium is in fine form - I think this is a gladiator? and see what a surprise I have had just now.

SAM_1465.JPG
SAM_1466.JPG
SAM_1467.JPG
SAM_1468.JPG
SAM_1471.JPG

This is from the tray I bought. I was thinking of getting the tray for snowdrops, but the freegled waterlily tray had waterlily roots all meshed in the tray and so I kept my mouth shut and took it home. That's a stunning surprise. And it is my first Waterlily! Hey, first ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your tomatoes will be rite alp no such thing as cold down south at this time of year :ROFLMAO:, registered 4.5C last night in the GH tomatoes not bothered they are hard up here ;) , I am going to leave the cucumber and melons in for tonight lows of 7-8C over the coming days see how they fair. Saw some waterlilys at the GC I were surprised how expensive they are. Not sure your allium gladiator looks more like Giganteum but could be wrong I'll have to have a look through my pictures from last year.

Which Ligularia is that @Zenj ? it has lovely dark foliage much dark than my brit marie crawford , seen a few others with dark foliage but I forgot the names now.

Reactions: alp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question