alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
These are supposed to be draping surfinia
SAM_0967.JPG

Already in flower, but seem to be so upright. Stored in workshop and survived the winter!

Suddenly, Rosella Toms have come up strong and happy

SAM_0968.JPG

Love Rosella - Beechgrove retired Jim's favorite and mine too!
SAM_0969.JPG

Some double petunia either pirouette or duo pink! Imagine how a seed has metamorphed into a plant like these!

SAM_0970.JPG

Great expectation for my TUPA and pansy!

Sultan from Sarah R!

SAM_0971.JPG

Lovely achillea from my favorite GC one split into 4 to 6! Well worth the initial £2.99
SAM_0972.JPG

More in my greenhouse ie lean to and I am going to add to the mess!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went to the allotment and tried to sow some seeds as it was supposed to rain in the afternoon. Caught by the rain and we stayed in the shed which was tiny. Could have stayed in the car. Son rummaged for seeds and found my credit card and bus pass! :joyful: :giggle: What a relief!

My chicks want to say hello

SAM_0989.JPG
SAM_0990.JPG
SAM_0992.JPG
SAM_0993.JPG
SAM_0994.JPG
SAM_0995.JPG
SAM_0996.JPG

They really have grown and they love mealworms. As soon as I walked into the workshop, they knew there would be mealworms treat!

SAM_0979.JPG

SAM_0980.JPG
SAM_0983.JPG

Lavender is very happy!
SAM_0984.JPG
SAM_0985.JPG

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My other orchid.
SAM_0973.JPG
SAM_0974.JPG
SAM_0975.JPG
SAM_0977.JPG

SAM_0976.JPG

Think it looks a bit gross! LOL!

This orchid pot has been treated with nematodes and has not been removed from the spot, unlike the other three greener slipper orchids. Now, all the green orchids are ravaged by slugs and yet this one is perfect!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning and the central heating is on, again! Frustrating! Thought I could get away with it.

So glad that we had some rain even though the butts are not all full. Shouldn't complain as I watched the news and saw the bombings in Syria. A toddler was screaming clinging to his daddy's leg! Bad enough your government bombs some people and you become a collateral, not to mention some alien cesspit stick comes along with power tools! I cry for these people who knew nothing but fear, death and war! Keep safe to all!

I sowed Amaranthus, cucumber, Chinese Leaves (or Chinese Wong Pak i.e yellow and white! What a good name and it's delicious - I hope to make some kimchi), and cupcake (well, I sowed this before and from this exclusive supplier and they all turned out to be ordinary white cosmos. I only realised it when I went to Hyde Hall and saw the real McCoy! I feel bad dissing this company; but as an exclusive supplier, it sent out the wrong seeds! Not to mention my Hellebore growers' Choice breeds which turned out to be wishy washy and reblooming irises Indian Chiefs!)

I made quite a few pickled cabbage, carrots and was surprised at the amount of sugar and salt. I saw a lady teaching a couple to make prickled pointed point cabbage and all she used was salt and there was no sugar. Even my son said the flavour was artificial. I want to make Korean Kimchi as they say the fermentation is good for the gut.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Both Chelsea and Arsenal have made it to the Europa League Final! Brilliant stuff. Please Arsenal, get your act together as you're long overdue for a trophy!

My double petunias have come up very beautifully - strong and big!
SAM_0998.JPG

Sparticus
SAM_0999.JPG
SAM_1000.JPG

I am not sure this is surfinia - not in the posture of a surfer! LOL!
SAM_1001.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Son has assembled these before going to work. The previous owner must have a massive garden as these two were joined together.
SAM_1002.JPG
SAM_1003.JPG
SAM_1010.JPG
SAM_1011.JPG
SAM_1012.JPG
SAM_1013.JPG
SAM_1014.JPG
SAM_1015.JPG
SAM_1016.JPG

Spectacular Sparticus!

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a dry and hopefully, quiet, day!

Yesterday, I sowed more seeds and will do so as soon as the viewing is finished by 4pm. I have more or less stopped looking for houses until I have sold. The more houses I look at, the more I realise that I am looking for a house exactly the same like this existing one! LOL!

I bought 3 packets of water lily seeds from China long time ago and watched some videos on how to prep the seeds. I apparently need to file the seeds which come with very hard skin and that's why they can germinate even after 200 hundred years. The skin was tough and the file pathetic. Very little of the skin had been taken out, but the file nearly took off the skin of my thumb! :inpain::banghead::eek:

Watched GW and was amazed by t he amount of blue Camassias Monty had. I bought quite a few, but, as usual, they are everywhere and they create no impact, but boy, they should be so beautiful, I have some white, and blue ones like his. I'm amazed that his are so early. Mine still wrapped up in buds! :banghead:

About the hen coop, the material is so filmsy. I don't really know how to stop Mr Fox from hurling himself against the grilled panel. I might need some big outside cage. I am going to add another layer of chicken wire to every panel. Baldie has a penchant for lettuce and it's so nice that she would eat from my hand. I think she is not only baldie but broody and I need to act quickly.

A gentleman from freegle promised me some long pieces of wood so that I can make an frame for my vine and a polytunnel. Wish I had an estate car. Going to be stressful taking them back home.

The vibrant colour of my petunia

SAM_1001.JPG

Salvia greggii Mirage™ Cherry Red are flowering. Will upload some photos later if I have time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Love the hens alp, that's a smart little coop and run for them. I told one of my sisters how you got yourself some of those fancy polish birds that I want and they are already laying eggs for you, that made my sister chuckle. This week I found out that if I could get a head doctor to write a letter saying I need a few hens to comfort and calm me, the city would allow it. But no, I can't abuse the system like that, I wouldn't sleep at night.
I enjoy watching youtube videos of you Brits and your allotments.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Johnny, the Polish chicks have been trying something naughty, but I don't even know their sexes and it 's the big yellow hen which lays eggs.

Very sad as I think I killed the useless incubator and son had a real go at me. The eggs were supposed to be hatched in 3 days, but I found the incubator very dry, so I poured water into it and it was too much and son said I burned the motor. Took the eggs to the hen and bribed her with mealworms in order to see if she would sit on them. But no and it actually ate one of the eggs. Any way, I am still being verbally battered by you know who.

No, don't be dishonest. Perhaps move out to the countryside. Only joking! It's such a headache looking at houses. A man came and viewed the house for his parents and I bet the answer is no as his parents need a 2nd downstairs toilet. Simple as.

6 minutes of proper rain and that's the end of my luck. After today, it would be dry for a while. Already it is so hot.

Watched Raymond Blanc and Kew and it was very enjoyable. Now the viewer is gone, I can go sowing. Just got hold of some Strelitzia Reginae Seeds. I have successfully germinated these seeds before, so should be OK.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a very decent, quiet and bright Sunday!

Nice and ideal for a day in the allotment

I thought this was Camassia, but no Honeybells will be ringing soon!

SAM_1017.JPG

Serrated tulips are on their way out. Sad!
SAM_1018.JPG

Dicentra Spectabilis is blooming
SAM_1019.JPG
SAM_1020.JPG

Cherry Red Mirage Salvia
SAM_1021.JPG

Another Amaryllis, but the SS had a first look!
SAM_1022.JPG
SAM_1024.JPG
SAM_1025.JPG
SAM_1026.JPG

Lagurus Ovatus - haretail grass

My outdoor hardy orchid has a last hurrah! Thrilled to see the flower in hot and droughty East London. Brian in the Beechgrove Garden was planting it next to a stream in Scotland!
SAM_1027.JPG
SAM_1028.JPG
SAM_1029.JPG
SAM_1030.JPG

Primula Auricula

Shame my Primula bulleyana didn't make it.

SAM_1032.JPG

Camassia

SAM_1033.JPG
SAM_1034.JPG

Sweet, sweet surprise! Cucumber made it. Think it is Mr Fothergill's Telepathy F1. Pushed to the extreme corner of one propagator right at the end of the lean to where I couldn't reach easily!
SAM_1035.JPG

Lovely Calibrachoa Starlight Blue, I think! Dainty and yet quietly supporting actor!
SAM_1037.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon alp and everyone else , think I will finally get the tomatoes planted in the GH today. Apparently frost this morning everything were white, I didn't notice anything freezening when I were walking home early hours this morning, didn't cover anything up but everything seems ok.

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon alp and everyone else , think I will finally get the tomatoes planted in the GH today. Apparently frost this morning everything were white, I didn't notice anything freezening when I were walking home early hours this morning, didn't cover anything up but everything seems ok.
You have a lucky escape, Perki!

Same can't be said of me! Baldie has disappeared without trace, not even feather! :eek::cautious::cry:! I had let her have free run of the whole garden and Houdinia once leapt over the garden fence and after that the rest is history. Now, Baldie is nowhere to be found. I have walked the whole length of the garden with her favorite mealworms. Alas, to no avail! :banghead::cry:

Son's first response was £30 down the drain!

Been out to Waitrose to get our organic flour, which we don't want to get from Amazon as they sent us some outdated flour - yes, same company. Such a trauma as if we were late, we would have no free parking on the street and only the first 20 minutes is free. That is the only nearest place we can get this flour. We were lucky to have found a space out on the street. We literally cleared the shelf of that flour. After that a stint in the allotment till nearly 5pm.

Went to Wyevale and made use of my £2.50 voucher and got another camellia for under £3.

Just had a chat with neighbour's daughter who told me that it's quite possible that Mr Fox had her for dinner. So sad as I really have bonded with her and she would eat lettuce leaves from my hand. I wish I had caged her.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No, Baldie is definitely gone!

Wish I had taken more notice of Zenj's suggestion for safety.

Warmth and sunshine brought on my Californian Poppies
SAM_0122.JPG
SAM_0123.JPG

and Oriental poppy
SAM_0125.JPG

Clematis Gillian Blades with chiselled strong wavy petals. And this year, they have beaten the SS!

SAM_0127.JPG
SAM_0126.JPG

Geum - I don't like it much!
SAM_0128.JPG

Red Peony
SAM_0129.JPG
SAM_0130.JPG

A huge petunia spotted in Wyevale
SAM_0131.JPG

My hydrangeas, gooseberry left by previous owner!
SAM_0134.JPG

Before
SAM_0132.JPG

After. Took me 4 hours!
SAM_0135.JPG

Beautiful camassia!
SAM_0139.JPG
SAM_0141.JPG

Attachments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all sorry to here about Baldie alp,yours flowers are lovely you are well in advance than us ,but we have sunshine and warmth today ,had three new plants delivered on Saturday geranium pretence striatum,geum rivale ,and perovskia blue spire.

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I should have sat up and listen to your advice. But it's so nice for the hen to run around free range, rather than being confined to an area.

Very sad as I have grown to be very fond of the bird and before 8am, without fail, she would give me an egg!

Zenj, I have to duck the heat and sunshine. Once it is out, it's like having nowhere to hide. I am amazed by flowering of the orchids which were planted by Brian in Beechgrove in Scotland and by a running stream.

My Trollius Chinensis is down from 3 to one and even that, I have to remove the hellebore leaves to let it access sunshine. The nearly meconopsis x 3 are nowhere to be found. Very sad! Especially when Liverpool failed again!

By the way, I saw a ground covering flower in Beechgrove which the presenter said would flower for months .. What an asset. Might research a bit. Another useless viewing today. I would like to move agent, so I don't have to pay so much - £3k more than online company. I need to act quickly as I would love the have the extra cash!

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Son failed again and all the eggs being hatched are still EGGS! :banghead: :eek: :inpain: After so many days and they are still eggs. Could have enjoyed them for breakfast. No sight of Baldie. Was thinking of getting some from Rayleigh. Any way, we both have learned how to sex chicks using youtube. The seller obviously lied, saying that they couldn't sex them. Another lady living near me bought some from them and they are all males bar one. She is selling 2 male for £10. So I think I am going to get them.

So easy to learn something new via youtube. The viewer never turns up, after hours of panicking.

Acanthus surely wants to conquer my world! I hate it when it has finished flowering and I hate the fact that I just can't never get rid of it. It has long and tenacious root sand would go everywhere!
SAM_1088.JPG

Sarah Berndhart is going to collapse onto the ground soon. Poor thing - like an ill-conceived formation - too top heavy to stand up properly!
SAM_1091.JPG

Gorgeous and perfumed purple rose is full of flower and bugs.. I have stopped myself growing garlic, but by the look of it, I need to dig up some and spray every bit of this rose and lilies as well. James Wong said we need garlic spray to keep lily beetle away.
SAM_1085.JPG
SAM_1084.JPG
SAM_1086.JPG

Some glorious irises have bloomed, but one stem was snapped by you know who! I picked the flower up and hand pollinated it with My Indian Chief and Amas bi-colour (I think)
SAM_1078.JPG
SAM_1079.JPG
SAM_1080.JPG

And of course, I have lost the label. Tomorrow, I will hunt for the label!

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now, I know there are fragrant irises on sale as I have now GOT ONE!

Very subtle and distinctive perfume!
SAM_1093.JPG
SAM_1094.JPG
SAM_1095.JPG

I think it is called Fragrant Lilac, but I could be so wrong!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry about your Chicken alp, need to keep vigilant if a fox got baldie it will come back for the others.

Your allotment coming on well its keeping you busy.

Nice warm day today 19 - 20 C not a cloud in the sky, got my tomatoes planted yesterday in the GH, the GH is looking really full now. potted on tithonia - cleome and others this evening and planted out indigofera pendula - echinops T and two sanguisorba.

GH filling up
DSC00584.JPG

tomatoes I planted the other day
DSC00586.JPG
DSC00583.JPG
DSC00580.JPG
DSC00572.JPG

Apple tree been covered in blossom this year
DSC00557.JPG
DSC00560.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! Wow! Wow! So many things I like here! The stunning meconopsis, the stunning and striking tulips (what is the beauty called?)

Ooops! My newly acquired silkie rooster is telling me, "Get me out of here!"

Your greenhouse is filling up nicely! Amazing! Have you been using electric heater for the greenhouse, Perki?

I have also acquired a greenhouse, but I don't know where to put it or if it should be put up at all as I am selling the house! What a nightmare! Someone was supposed come and view the house yesterday and I ended up watching Garden Rescue. The viewers were supposed to come at 4.30pm. Don't know what's wrong!

Charlie had a brilliant design and the dogs next door stole the show. Animals are so cute until you see the sizes of their poos and the stench ...

Good heavens, the silkie rooster is marking his presence without impunity

SAM_0183.JPG
SAM_0185.JPG

It has a most beautiful wattle! I now realise that it is still a baby! And I gave him adult food, just because he looks so big.

Yesterday, we bought 2 laying hens and then I found that some lady was selling 2 roosters for £10 ie. £5 each. As we had already spent £15 for the two hens which were dirt cheap compared with £15 each from another seller. I decided not to take the two roosters, but only one. The lady waived the fee and Silkie is now the noise engine in my lean to. I feel so sorry for my son as it has been croaking quite loudly right underneath his windows. This morning at 5.30, I turned on the tap and nearly dropped my kettle when it croaked. I had forgotten I had a rooster! Ooops!

I think I will call him Bluey!

Come to think of it, it could have been me lumped with all roosters. This lady and I both went to the same seller and this Vietnamese lady, unlike me, was capable of only one expression i.e. smiley and one would wonder what harm she could have done! And we left after picking out some chicks in one white translucent big plastic containers. Two minutes down the road, I asked son to turn the car around so that I could ask the woman and her English husband about the sex of the chicks. He said it was a valuable skill which they didn't have and this skill was a real money earner. We stupidly had no answer and left. Imagine, the lady bought about 5 and had one female and the rest handsome Messrs.. It could have been me. I had nothing but female chicks. Imagine 5 of them marking the break of dawn with gusto, like a rousing opera! Can't bear thinking as we have neighbours on both sides.

Perki You have quite a few dahlias and they are full of stems. Mine just looks pathetic in comparison. Do you sight your greenhouse in the sunniest place in your garden, Perki?

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question