Magazine style - all inclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I sent this last night just didn't post it :facepalm:

It is a nice picture of the monkhood another plant I am moving , the variety is royal flush its has really nice red / maroon leaves in spring.

R. herbstone I was a bit on the fence to begin with slugs kept attacking it and it struggled, I had to re pot it back up and grow on to plant out again . It nice a elegant plant for the back of the border but sometimes the stems do flop down.

I sent a email off last night enquiring about a acer winter flame I would like , I've been waiting for months because they said they weren't sure on stock and don't lift to winter. Received a email this morning about it and a price 3 and half foot specimen - £600 and then + £80 P+P , way over my budget I were expecting to pay quite a bit more like £200 - 300 . Bit disappointed I am not sure wither to go with my second option Cornus mas Variegated but I do like coral bark acers .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some seeds turn up today from chilterns seeds , I've not used them before bit on the dear side spent £25 but probably cheaper than T&M etc, I buy most of my bedding seeds off ebay cheap. I've sowed the Thalictrums . D . Album and some Echiniums . Potted on my salvia serenada cutting and potted up my Rudbeckia indian summer seedling for next year.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I sent this last night just didn't post it :facepalm:

It is a nice picture of the monkhood another plant I am moving , the variety is royal flush its has really nice red / maroon leaves in spring.

R. herbstone I was a bit on the fence to begin with slugs kept attacking it and it struggled, I had to re pot it back up and grow on to plant out again . It nice a elegant plant for the back of the border but sometimes the stems do flop down.

I sent a email off last night enquiring about a acer winter flame I would like , I've been waiting for months because they said they weren't sure on stock and don't lift to winter. Received a email this morning about it and a price 3 and half foot specimen - £600 and then + £80 P+P , way over my budget I were expecting to pay quite a bit more like £200 - 300 . Bit disappointed I am not sure wither to go with my second option Cornus mas Variegated but I do like coral bark acers .
If you give me the proper name of the acer, I will ask Summerhill for you. For £29,99, you can have a decent Cornus Controversa V and £50 for a very decent one. But postage can be a problem. If you email Summerhill, they might post it to you. Having said that, posting anything can be a nightmare. A parcel of mine sent on 5th and arrived on 13th.

Talking about Echiums, I saw Catherine FitzGerald standing in front of about 10 very tall echiums. Boy, so majestic. I reckon if I had one, it would take me a life-time to get rid of them. (well much left!) But it's like those eryngiums which you can never get rid of them. Once the seeds hit the ground, Vroom, they would be everywhere. But boy, such a magnificent and impressive photo. My last round of Chilterns were very good. If you want try, happygreen ?? on ebay, (I think you know that one) or Kings seeds. Premier seeds or Just seeds - all much cheaper and better than T&M.

Apparently, this is a happy Burger King week. We had a whooper and chips for £1.98. But you need an app. How annoying. I bid for another little Samsung for under £25. The other one hasn't even been posted. The seller's mum's funeral! :cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love the monkhood pic, but would never grow them. The old delphie is still my number 1 favorite. Did quite a bit: move sthe greenhouse away from the centre of the lawn and cleared some hellebores for the pathway. Then it drizzled, took clothes in. Then the sun came out, took the clothes out. And did quite a bit of repotting until it rained seriously between 4.30 and 5pm. Went out to meet son to freegle something and voila more junk in the house! 99p for a whopper and came home feeling very thirsty.

Apparently, there was a shooting 5 minutes' drivv away and the man wasn't fatally injured. It's terrifying to have gunshot so near the house, AGAIN. (old neighbour had rifle and he came out with a dead fox!) Watched some real-life crime stories in Norfolk. The property owner was crying, saying he had never had anything like this happening in his 22 years' living in Norfolk. Very shocking. Gunshot through glass door and it was the shattered glass that nailed the forensic savvy burglar. He covered his face walking in front of a CCTV camera and when the home owner had the presence of mind or the presence of a camera phone, his accomplice's mugshot was like a passport photo.

Have the feeling that this is Fancy pants, in the back garden

IMG_1977.JPG

Phyllis Fancy
IMG_1978.JPG

A strange looking new dahlia
IMG_1979.JPG

Colour Spectacle
IMG_1980.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG

Rose is very happy
IMG_1982.JPG

Joshua Jowey
IMG_1983.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG

Abutilon raised from seed, from Chilterns. The giant euphoria is also from Chiltern seeds I bought £30 worth to avoid postage
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1987.JPG

Abutilon bought for £8 reduced???!!! from British gc
IMG_1988.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG

Lady in Red from Chiltern
IMG_1990.JPG

Toad lily I bought this for £1
IMG_1991.JPG

Phyllis Fancy at the front
IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG
IMG_1995.JPG

Hidden amongst the foliage, I only saw these flower by accident, possibly Vancouver!

Like Zenj, I wasn't happy with some Chiltern seeds, but this round, I can't complain!

Attachments

• IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The French Health minister's home got raided by the police. Here, we have SAGE quango being peopled by Sir or Dr or Pro with £m of money tied to pharmaceuticals and some have SERIOUS AMOUNTs OF shares in these companies trialling the drugs. Even Johnson got his brother a job in this niche market. No police raids for them. It's like asking some louche characters to watch over your gold. No difference in Celotex sitting on panel pushing their flammable clapping material for Grenfell. Very illogical and downright rude to all of us!

This video made me giggle, but I didn't understand a word. Just very nasty shouting and terrible noise.

Did more cuttings yesterday. Those punny salvia cuttings just didn't look good.

1602824955538.png

It rained quite a bit yesterday near the end of the day. Son wrap round one greenhouse. I then realised that the other sheet is not translucent but white. Never mind. At least, it's a shelter.

I now realise that there are various grades of bubble wrap. I bought 2 big rolls and they are like rubbish. Flimsy, and you can tell you can only use it once and it will disiintegrate. In fact, some bubbles were burst whilst the roll being opened. I asked for them to be returned. The seller asked why. I told him that my existing bubble wrap covering the propagator was better and sturdier. Imagine that flim-flam on the top of the greenhouse frame! I don't think it will last for the winter. He then gave me a partial refund and asked the stuff not to be returned. That was the lowest grade possible and I have TWO of them. Then another seller sent me heavy duty (good feel,) but small bubbles. I asked for BIG bubbles. He sneakily sneaked it in. Any way, when I pointed that out, he said he would give me a 20% discount. I remember someone starting a thread about the beauty of this selling platform. Well, judging from the washing machine I had been sent with a knocking drum and the quick refund, there is only one good thing - quick refund if you spot it in time or you get sent all sorts: Alpine strawberries instead of Giant strawberry seeds. The OP wasn't best pleased when I had a different opinion. Ah, I can see the angry labrador pinching its nose, just like that in the video.

I read in Gardening Which? that a man's son bought some UV sheets instead of ordinarly bubble wrap so the wrap can last a bit longer. I googled and there were hardly any sellers. If there were some on sale, they were small and expensive.

I couldn't find the latest episode of GW on youtube (You can imagine my nose twitching like the labrador in the video, with growling thrown in! LOL!). Someone must have read my thread ... Haha! I might go to helper's to have a cup of tea (with my own cup) to watch last episodes (with repeats) when he's not in so much pain. Monty might be leaving and youtube is faking quite a few videos talking rubbish but alluding to the rumour whilst the timeline was when Monty suffered a stroke and Joe full of himself Swift talked about different presenters.

All lock down for you in the north, north east and north west. I thought the high incidence of cases was due to the fact that some ethnics had extended or big families or go to social or religious gatherings. Was very surprised to see Rossendale so high on the red list. We are OK, but neighbouring Redbridge is on red watch - there are a lot of SE Asians, Jews (Gants Hill, I think 2nd to Stoke Newington) living there. When I went to Stoke Newington, it was like being transported to a different world: All the Jewish with very different attire and hair style. I had this strange fear in me! Going out more does help. Now I see them, it makes no difference. Can't say I like the whole ensemble though. It's like watching the West Memphis Three. People persecute others because they think they are strange and hence dangerous. If we all speak the same language and wear the same clothes, the world may be more peaceful, But we human beings thrive on individuality, imagination, creativity and difference.

IMG_1999.JPG
IMG_2001.JPG

Several hundred pounds iphone is no match for my £99 Samsung PL70!

IMG_2002.JPG
##

Cafe au Lait is a bit of a washout!
IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG

Cherry pie Salvia
IMG_2005.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2007.JPG

Amazing how some dahlias are resistant to SS - Red Rock!
IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

Or maybe it's plastic!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here is Nick Bailey trying his Daisy Electric

Believe it or not, these pretty little daisy flowers have a big surprise - they taste like citrus with a jolt of electricity!

1602836123277.png

Brilliant!

His garden is no tidier than Monty's! Why are people so snobbish!?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some 18 year old is reported to have beheaded his teacher for showing some cartoons. The guy moved to France because of foreign persecution and now he's persecuted his teacher and died in the cause. Jesus has been smeared, soiled and .. Nobody would go the such extremes as killing or beheading someone for doing just that. This total lack of intelligence of not being able to challenge or tolerate others challenging one's faith is to be pitied. If nobody were allowed to challenge the idea that the earth was flat, we would still believe that the earth was flat. To be able to challenge or to see from another person's perspective is essential to human progress. Just how can a person behead another human being? What cult or faith encourages or justifies such violence?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Did a lot yesterday. Moved a greenhouse bench into the greenhouse which is now being covered with bubble wrap. NO GLASS! After that, the whole patio needed tidying up. Life seemed to be so much happier with most of the clutter gone. Washed quite a few pots and trays.

Going to Wisley today. 12 noon slot. Will do some gcs hopping before that. Hopefully, there is something to buy or see. It's going to be grey the whole day. Cold weather comes too early this year!

Yesterday, a lady asked me what the name of a certain plant. She told me she came to my house 3 times just to get the name and I am sure she's still non the wiser. I said I would charge £1.50 and she could have the whole plant. It was Rejman's Firecracker! I asked where she was from. She said Russia. (Please, I am no racist. Hope people know that I am only telling it as this person is concerned. You know something unpleasant coming up, right?! LOL!) She told me she bought from me before. I remember this lady with a pram and a baby in tow. She asked me about having a plant which I was about to discard. I gave it to her. The following time, she asked about plants again. And she said, "You remember me? The person you gave me the plant?" Any way, I said £1, she recoiled and walked along and I said people didn't understand that I had to lug water to water plants at the front. To asked for £1 was not too much. Any way, I probably enraged some forumer(s). Not that I care! One has to be happy under one's skin. Can't be swayed by public reaction!

Any way, I told her the name and she said, "I love all the plants in your garden!" I have heard it many times and after that they wanted freebies. I would give them if they were nice or I was going to bin the plants. Let's put it this way, Nick Bailey said in a small garden, every plant has to work hard to merit a place. Gem truth! I always have plants to chuck. I told her I would want £1.50 for the whole plant. She said OK and when I dug up the plant at 11.30, she suddenly popped up. She said 12 initially. After digging it up, she asked, "How much is it?" I said to myself, "Didn't we agree on £1.50?" I sensed tension mounting within her entire body. She then said, "I might not have change of 50p. I will give you £1 and come with the rest tomorrow and some tall white lily for you." I accepted the £1. It was a cutting I took last year with flower and buds on.

I must have looked like her in the gcs! LOL!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone name this for me please? I have tons of big leaves, but NO flowers
1602919626471.png

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some lovely garden centres in London outskirt.

Hawley GC
IMGA0044.JPG
IMGA0045.JPG
IMGA0047.JPG
IMGA0048.JPG
IMGA0049.JPG

Ruxley Manor with food and veg store as well as a butcher! Lovely place.
IMGA0050.JPG
IMGA0051.JPG

Reallly love this
IMGA0052.JPG
IMGA0053.JPG
IMGA0054.JPG

Polhill
IMGA0055.JPG

Wisley
IMGA0056.JPG
IMGA0057.JPG
IMGA0058.JPG
IMGA0059.JPG
IMGA0060.JPG
IMGA0061.JPG
IMGA0062.JPG
IMGA0063.JPG
IMGA0064.JPG

Lovely controversa everywhere - Clever borrowed landscape
IMGA0065.JPG
IMGA0067.JPG
IMGA0068.JPG

Topiary with different coloured hedges

Attachments

• IMGA0046.JPG
    IMGA0046.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGA0066.JPG
    IMGA0066.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hawley GC

N
IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2047.JPG

View from the gc
IMG_2048.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2052.JPG

Polhill with butchers and food and veg stores. Look at the bonded raisin. Very well laid out - absolutely beautiful place to spend a day
IMG_2053.JPG

Wisley Ceres - Harvest goddess???
IMG_2057.JPG
IMG_2058.JPG
IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2065.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2072.JPG

salvia Involucrata var involucrata!
IMG_2079.JPG

I have one of this, but still in bud form. A thinker, I presume!
IMG_2080.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG

Salvia Candalabrum

Attachments

• IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 35

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wisley continues

A lot of building work going on!

Looking down at what used to be the trial field and in fact it still is. Trialling rosemary and something! Soon to be staff area with the traffic din from the motor way!
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2086.JPG

Ahove pentsemon and below a quaint fuchsia
IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG

A variegated abutilon tree something orange.
IMG_2090.JPG

A new building - the old show small gardens had been levelled. There used to be some lovely bamboos, a pond, an organic arbour with various trees grown from the ground to bend together to form the top. Very beautiful and artistic. They are no more!
IMG_2093.JPG
IMG_2094.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG

Cousin of my much beloved Honka Fancy Pants!

Snowdrop this early - quite a few of them on the rockery.
IMG_2098.JPG

Some blue salvia
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2105.JPG

An interesting primula!

Yesterday, we went to Hyde Hall. When we left, there were a train of cars streaming in and that was 3pm.

My little new Samsung PL221 has come finally. I paid £21.20 for. Lovely

Stained glass hellebore
SAM_0006.JPG
SAM_0007.JPG
SAM_0008.JPG
SAM_0009.JPG
SAM_0010.JPG

What is this contorted flower? Edge of Joy?? Tartan?
SAM_0011.JPG

I had done a lot of comparisons
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2086.JPG
IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG
IMG_2090.JPG
IMG_2093.JPG
IMG_2094.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2098.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2105.JPG
SAM_0006.JPG
SAM_0007.JPG
SAM_0008.JPG
SAM_0009.JPG
SAM_0010.JPG
SAM_0011.JPG
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2086.JPG
IMG_2088.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG
IMG_2090.JPG
IMG_2093.JPG
IMG_2094.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2098.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2105.JPG
SAM_0006.JPG
SAM_0007.JPG
SAM_0008.JPG
SAM_0009.JPG
SAM_0010.JPG
SAM_0011.JPG

and this is the nearest to the old Samsung PL70. Very, very pleased. Take that, iphone!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice to see pictures of wisley some very nice cornus etc . You must relatively close to wisley to visit often looking forward to the new RHS garden Bridgewater in Salford / Bolton 20mile away or 25min from me according to google maps, Harlow carr is just over an hour away 50 odd miles .

The yellow sunflower like plants looks like a Inula

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No, not near at all, Perki! An hour's drive and we have to pay Dartford toll charge. Dartford toll charge was supposed to recoup the building cost and now, they have recouped it and yet we motorists are still being persecuted. We are too peaceful and Kent is expensive. We are also waiting for the Bridgwater one. Son was saying we only rejoined when it was opened, but we can't wait. Instead of waiting for the DD to roll on, we removed it and lapsed for a month or two as we were unsure whether to join or not. Any way, We joined under my name and paid £47. They tried to persuade us the resume DD with an offer of £55. Which price would you like to pay? Always check the DD as when you snooze, you lose! We can only go to two flagship gardens - Hyde Hall and that was a bit nearer, but not so near - another one hour or 45 minutes' drive. This lockdown has meant limited travel. But those living close by to Hyde Hall streamed at 3pm. Very nice for kids.

So sorry that I posted the pics so many times - I think they are all repeated twice? Ooops!

I got a message on Monday, asking me if I still wanted the Samsung WB1100F camera. Of course, I want it. I waited because the guy said it was his mum's funeral. I waited more than 10 days now. He asked me as he apologised for the delay. I didn't want to be angry with him. How could I do that???? But I confirmed that I wanted it. It's about £35 (2014) and much newer that this PL model which is 2011 or a bit later. I used this site to do tons of comparison. If you want a new camera. Look no further. This is quite a helpful site. My little new camera is not listed there though. I thought it had 14mpx, but it actually had 16mpx. Something similar from Nikon costs just under £300 squid and that was reduced.

Phyllis Fancy - Salvia

SAM_0013.JPG
SAM_0017.JPG

Red Rock

SAM_0018.JPG

Cafe au Lait

SAM_0021.JPG

Duo

Attachments

• SAM_0014.JPG
    SAM_0014.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 31
  • SAM_0015.JPG
    SAM_0015.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was expecting rain, but no. Not a drop. Woke up too early. Was enjoying some gardening programmes on hdclump.com. Jardins, d'ici et d'ailleurs. Now my isp is giving me the loading circle. But boy, the first programme was beautiful - a garden reminding me of Powys, borrowed landscape and all that. Amazing.

1603252044111.png

Was weeding and getting rid of the Duet yesterday. It was wedged amongst pots and broken slabs and hence the root ball was big and fleshy. In its place, I planted one Omega in its place. Exposed my stick which was once the c controversa Variegata. I also divided the Hellebore Stained Glass into 5 plants.

A lot of my birch seeds have germinated, so have some Echinacea Twisters. Helper finished securing the base of one greenhouse using decking boards. Now I need to cement the edge with cement and sand to the concrete ground.

1603252044111.png

Hyde Hall

Salvia Glutinosa
IMG_2110.JPG
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_2112.JPG
IMG_2113.JPG
IMG_2115.JPG
IMG_2116.JPG
IMG_2117.JPG

White Thistle
IMG_2118.JPG