Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Panny camcorder

Not bad when there is light.
IMGA0001.JPG

Really love this Omega - considering how hungry SS are!
IMGA0002.JPG
IMGA0003.JPG
IMGA0004.JPG

IMGA0005.JPG

Some very buggy dahlia!
IMGA0006.JPG
IMGA0007.JPG
IMGA0008.JPG
IMGA0009.JPG
IMGA0010.JPG

Not Totally Tangerine - bitten by SS!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
1601985987192.png

Saw this rara banana and share this rarity with you! I often wonder my enormous eggs (I have ad at least 2) have 2 egg yokes. I will take a pic to share later.

Tens of thousands of people are left without water across east London after huge pipe bursts - sending residents scrambling to buy bottled supplies

I have to say, this 2 weeks have seen a lot of disruptions. First, no water and then Essex & Suffolk Waters worked across my house and later down the road. They were very good, phoning all of us via automated messages, telling us all the progress of work they have been doing. Half a day of discomfort.

Then we had had some strange phone calls about electricity supply. Son said that he saw a power generation a few houses down the road. I was wondering why they phoned us as we had had no problems. But then, a lot of work carried out with a van parked outside my driveway and half a day without electricity. Work is still being carried out and no more buses pass by my house! BLISS! And now such a large swathe of areas have been without watering. Son suggested stocking up last night.

Panny camcorda is just not good enough, but it will have to plug the gap.

Seashell cosmos
IMGA0027.JPG

Double click Bon Bon
IMGA0028.JPG

Seashell again
IMGA0029.JPG

Kismet Red
IMGA0030.JPG
IMGA0031.JPG
IMGA0032.JPG

Franz Kafka
IMGA0033.JPG
IMGA0034.JPG

Kismet
IMGA0036.JPG

Jescot Julie
IMGA0037.JPG

Cirsium atropurpureum
IMGA0022.JPG

IMGA0023.JPG

Aster
IMGA0039.JPG
IMGA0040.JPG
IMGA0041.JPG

Clematis Josephine with 5 buds and next to my 3 precious gala apples!
IMGA0012.JPG

Aster Girasol
IMGA0015.JPG
IMGA0016.JPG

Gaillardia
IMGA0017.JPG

Now I forgot it's funky name - Alauna Clair-Obscur. Doesn't look so funky via the panny!
IMGA0018.JPG

This is Toto or paso doblé. Money is on Toto.
IMGA0019.JPG

IMGA0025.JPG

IMGA0026.JPG

Meanwhile the yellow buggy Frisson D'Or is actually called Seattle!

Joshua Jowey/ That's it. I need a new camera or phone. This has ruined the start of the day for me!

Attachments

• IMGA0035.JPG
    IMGA0035.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning - yesterday was a fine day although it started very grey. Bid for a camera and reaslised that I gave mine away. Something very wrong with me.

I am afraid these are repeats. I just couldn't bear looking at trhose photos from panny

Very large eggs from my foul lowl! The one on the right is for comparison only. These two are not the biggest.

IMG_1740.JPG

Jescot Julie which I saw nearly 10 years ago in Bidduoph Grange, staffordshire
IMG_1741.JPG

Abutilon raised from seed
IMG_1742.JPG

Kismet series Echinacea
IMG_1744.JPG

The fragrant Kismet yellow one

IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1748.JPG
IMG_1753.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG

Alauna Clair-Obscur

Below: Aster Girasol

IMG_1758.JPG
IMG_1759.JPG

See how susceptible this dahlia to SS - Seattle. But I prefer Frisson D'Or
IMG_1763.JPG

You have to be here t appreciate how beautiful this cacti dahlia is! SS-resistant!
IMG_1764.JPG

Jowey Joshua
IMG_1765.JPG

Summer Jewel Coccinea Lady in Red - striking red!
IMG_1786.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG
IMG_1789.JPG

Josephine with quite a few buds.
IMG_1790.JPG

Last call for lobelia Tupa
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1792.JPG

Dahlia Toto

This bird is both male and female - a phenomenon known as bilateral gynandromorphism!

Amazing the way its plummage is "split" into two halves - showing male and female traits!

1602138345713.png

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some places are in the news!

In 19 of the 20 areas hit with increased restrictions, infection rates have actually spiked.

In Rossendale and Hyndburn they have gone up tenfold. Boris’s face puckered. Sir Keir was hitting him with detail. How he hates detail!

Is it that bad?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the washer dryer was delivered. They made me wait from 12 to 4.30. People like co-op give you a 2 hour window, but not this. However, I can see the difference in the packings of this one and the one from Crompton and Moore. This one has plastic tattooed with Hooever logo all around it. The last one was certainly a refurb. It had plain plastic and just top and bottom polystyrene. Thank heavens I actually tested it well to find out if it worked properly. Or I would be stuck with the junk for years, like the last piece of Bosch junk from Currys.

Moved the propagator to the sunnier side of the lean to and it has heat and light from the morning if the weather is promising.

Bid for Samsung for £54 and right before despatch, the seller said there was a scratch. I was worried that I might not be able to resell it in case I don't like it. I asked the seller twice if the screen and lens were clean and got affirmative answers for both and yet, after I paid, there was this glitch. Got a refund.

Bid for another one and paid £34.10 inclusive. Now, I don't mind if the screen is dodgy. I hope it takes good photos like my PL70. If the camera weren't made in 2009, I wouldn't mind buying another one. But no, too old. That was a cracking little camera, apart from the colour red, orange. Beat my son's iphone.

1602220531493.png

Looks like a decent day. Wish I had tipped those delivery young men. I was wondering why he gave me such a sad look. Now I realised that I should have tipped them. After all, I wouldn't want my son to carry that heavy piece of machine. Or pay them £20 to install the machine. But do you tip the binmen? Having said that, I think delivering a washing machine probably merit some kind of reward.

When I freegled stuff, this lady gave me hundred of these cuttings -
Ceratostigma willmottianum
Chinese plumbago

IMG_1794.JPG

As you can see, this one is flowering now. She also introduced me to Enfield - Clockhouse nursery, £1 for straggly plants. Well, knowing the covid crisis, I have never seen this place, but boy, Spring time and Clockhouse are my firm favorites. Clockhouse for my Incarnata Cinderella, Rudbeckia Laciniata, £7 fpr a 5' tall plant and agapathus Twister and Fireworks.

And Springtime for my Omega(s)
IMG_1795.JPG

2nd Omega
IMG_1796.JPG

Salvia Neon
IMG_1797.JPG

I want to get rid of this
IMG_1798.JPG

The bud is prettier than the flower - also from Springtime!
IMG_1799.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG

I am stressed looking at this poor flower - SS had a field day!

Greenhouse whilst helper incapacitated ..
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1802.JPG

Penstemon Pensham Could be Eleanor Young

I have 2 of these Black on blue or vice versa!
IMG_1803.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG

From Glebe - the last 2 left and I chose this one because it had a flower. As usual, no name because no label.
IMG_1805.JPG

This is a cracker! Always perfect, ready for camera!
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG

The 3rd Omega! One in the lean-to suffering.

IMG_1808.JPG

Café au Lait Big Blooms - top heavy! Tons of blooms, but they were tatty because of rain and age. From Springtime!
IMG_1809.JPG
IMG_1810.JPG

A new coreopsis
this little coreopsis just flowers non-stop
IMG_1811.JPG

Pooh AGM - I love the blue version collarette more. Must get it to see the sun! This one from Blue Diamond
IMG_1812.JPG

Penstemon Blackbird! These mauve ones all look the same to me! This one should be bigger in size.

This one from Glebe where everything is £3.60!
IMG_1813.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG

Still got a lot of colours, albeit a bit of collapsing all over the ground.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Garden centres struggle to source organic mulch and bark chippings due to Covid lockdown supply chain issues

This reminds me of an ad put by a tree surgeon who offers A TRUCKLOAD of logs, bark for free. But it must be around this area and a truckload. I did that before and there was so much that it took me a whole week to clear and shift to the back. And then I had to dump it everywhere and my hellebores really suffered. People can use shredded newspapers as mulch.

Washing machine is on, but it is noisy. 10kg. But once I shut the door to the lean-to, I can't hear a thing. Fancy all these machines coming here from China and son said the tube had the label June 2020 on it. Thank heavens it's not a refurbished, like the previous one. Wish the dial is illuminated, but at £429, I can't complain much.

Well, first wash and the clock was already out. Need to look again tomorrow. After buying the machine, I just read some horror stories. My Hoover dryer has been going on for 20 years. Never any problem. My Candy fridge was ex-display and it worked for more than 8 years.

It was very cold yesterday. And wet too. I collected some seeds. This year, I don't have much luck with my Thalictrums. The seeds had been blown away and they didn't look too good either. This cold and wet spell spells disaster for seed collections.

Sorry for the quality as it was very windy

Well, can't blame the wind

IMG_1857.JPG

Plumbago

Phyllis Fancy
IMG_1845.JPG

Amante
IMG_1848.JPG

Gill Richardson
IMG_1849.JPG

Pompon from Blue Diamond. Adam Frost has got the same.
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG

Lemony poker
IMG_1852.JPG
IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG

There are quite a few of these, but this Zannia is the prettiest, fuelled by exhaust fumes now that buses are going up and down again. :banghead: :inpain: :cry:

These cuttings have taken.;):singing::joyful:
IMG_1855.JPG

What is the name of this again?

Hope this dahlia stays like this as the flower has been badly deformed by SS
IMG_1856.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
Cold breezy and wet certainly not gardening weather, looks like when the three tier system comes in to effect next week we will be red as the cases in the north east are rising fast .recieved delivery of cammassia yesterday quality bulbs.
A80CACDA-2BAE-4C05-BD33-BEED333DE855.jpeg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, dear! Lockdown can really drive people crazy! Fancy those without a garden! I cry for them. I am surprised that there are so many cases in NE and NW.

That's a nice flower. I am still dithering about buying Snowflake erythronium. Every time I saw Monty's beauty, I said to myself, "I want one of those!" But to buy a pot for one plant really is demoralising. With postage chucked in, even more depressing. There are not a lot of choices in that seller either. Read about the variegated camassia leichtlinii sacajawea and it was highly praised in Gardening Which? So pleased for having the seeds!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I did much more in the garden yesterday than the day before when it was freezing cold. Yesterday, the spits and dirzzles were annoying and often stopped me on the track. Dug up the scented Lilac Iris and they obviously were very happy with the soil condition there and had about 9 healthy rhyzomes after splitting. All from one rhyzomes 4 years ago. The rhizomes are fleshy and healthy.

Tsuki no yori geisha
IMG_1877.JPG

2nd Amante
IMG_1878.JPG

Coeur d'or? Heat of Gold. I've all my labels.
IMG_1879.JPG

Amante taken by little emperor
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1881.JPG
IMG_1882.JPG

Red Rock. But I expect this

1602394289250.png

The label said Red Rock! I think I have a lot of these cuttings. Very sad that it comes out so late.
IMG_1883.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG

Lovely and unexpected!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Been to the allotment and worked solid for an hour and a half. Enlgish Cottage was still flowering and I split it and took some home. Harvested most of the Scarlet Emperor beans which I will grow until I finish the seed packets. Some more cucumber and one uchiki kuri. Got rid of the thorny berry (could be raspberry or blackberry). One thornless blackberry had become very ramplant and the other ends of its various branches had rooted. I removed most of them as they were taking over. No sooner had we jumped into the car than it started to rain. As usual, it's drier where we live.

1602480134215.png

Yesterday was a lovely day. Sunny and warm. It seems to be nothing but cold and grey after this. I live in hope as I live in the south. A bit of occasional sunshine will go a long way. Hopefully, there are sunny spells.

The lovely Bonnett is finally open and I brought one pink gypsophila, one lavender and an iris for £5 and 4 pots of short toad lilies for £1 each. Very pleased.

There were terrible queues in Summerhill. When we pulled up our car, we saw about 1 and a half line of queues, we left. That was 10.50. Then we went back 12 and the queues were even longer. We didn't buy anything. The cornus controversa variegata was begging me to take it home.

Forgot to mention, went to lidl for the bowl of beauty. Found all its siblings, but NO Bowl of beauty. We went Lidl hopping all the way to Pitsea. No, only the branch near us stored them and by the look of it, they were on sale on Saturday. For £2,99, it was a steal. I bought some siblings.

So apparently, I have changed the name of this dahlia - it should have been frost NIP - should have staked it.

IMG_1927.JPG

My favorite of the year Mrytle's Folly - colour, form, number of flowers ..
IMG_1926.JPG

Red Rock, more like Red stripes
IMG_1925.JPG

I have about 8 of these . I wanted Polka dot or Hazy day

1602479853968.png

Instead Wilko have nothing but these. I bought 3 packets and I am sick of this. No one Hazy Day in sight.
IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1922.JPG

This cluster of Girasol aster is really great - no blemishes, clumping well and it's just pure beauty!

So this is Colour Spectacle. Finally, it's showing its beauty!

IMG_1918.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1919.JPG

Now whose dirty thumb is that? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Raining today but I may venture to the GH.

Did a bit yesterday in the garden for a change but not as much as I wanted, its just not quite ready yet to get stuck in cutting things back and moving plants I've still got to many plants in flower. I did dig up Astrantia Roma and divided it , re planted two large clumps and got 12 new plants :) . Took the cucumber plant down and some tomato plants and moved the eucomis pots in the GH to start drying . Planted my orange monach crocus as well.

Think that it be it for me galivanting around the GC for this year , already seeing to many Christmas decorations :sick:. I still may buy online probably farmer gracy when the the prices really come down.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
12 new plants! Wow! You've struck in gold!

Won't go to Summerhill on weekends or early in weekends! It's a nightmare. Only place with queues! I noticed that I have 2 clusters of white asters. One is tatty now and the other one is pure snow. I then realise that one called White Aster I bought from BQ and the other one from a gc called Girasol.

I need to plant out the siblings of Bowl of Beauty. I have 5 of them. Considering £3, they are bargains.

I was sorting out my Echinacea Twister and agapanthus seeds. Hard work. My neck nearly calcified.

I need to reverse the order of this patch. A man was very taken with my Joy and he didn't know the name. When I said Dyson's Joy, he said he disliked the man. He must have thought of the hoover man who loved the country so much that he moved to Singapore!
IMG_1938.JPG

Duo - not a patch as last night. It took over last year.
IMG_1939.JPG

Aster blue
IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1941.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG

Cerinthe
IMG_1943.JPG

Colour Spectacle! Love the colour combo! And above the rose flowering again.
IMG_1946.JPG

Toad lily
IMG_1947.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG

Another of my favorites this year. I bought 2 plants from £5 to £7. Well worth it, even for a meanie like me!

IMG_1949.JPG

Josephine is a real asset - another flush with 5 more buds ..
IMG_1953.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG

Glorious penstemon from the allotment
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG

Blue Bayou from the allotment
IMG_1934.JPG

I was wondering what his new drama was!
IMG_1928.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started off sunny this morning but the rain has returned . The toad lily is really photogenic I would like one myself but the flower size puts me off most are quite small, what variety is that one alp ? Your dahlia are holding up well my are looking a bit bedraggled.

I took a few pictures last week
DSC01499.JPG

Black jack
DSC01502.JPG

Actea james crompton and helianthus lemon queen
DSC01503.JPG
DSC01504.JPG
DSC01506.JPG

Geranium ann folkard taking over a bit , has stopped flowering since Mid / late May, I am going to have to move it furthur back its smothering other plants mainly agapanthus - and echinacea
DSC01507.JPG

Red Labyrinth
DSC01508.JPG

Canna Durban got a flower finally, you can just make out rudbeckia herbstone in the back ground. I've got solidago fireworks to the left I be removing that plant. Flowers to late and just falls over everything not impressive , think I'll replace with some monarda squaw . This is supposed to be my hot border .
DSC01511.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I never like Solidago. You've got some lovely flowers there. Red Labyrinth is fantastic. The camera is doing a good job for you there. Canna is beautiful. I don't want to take photos of mine any more. Too battered. Herbstonne is lovely, don't you think?

Holy moly! I nearly fell off my chair seeing how pretty the lilies and Monkhood are! Perki: You've taken some gems last week. What took you so long to upload them here!?

It's so wet! All my Asclepias Incarnata Cinderella seed pods are wet through. Can't go outside as it is steadily tipping down.

UK Power is outside my driveway AGAIN! There is always some companies digging - Open Reach, Essex and Suffolk Waters, and now UKPOWER!

Watch The lost boys of Bucks County. Enough to bring tears to my eyes. All went to this nut for drugs and never came home. One mum said, "I would love to pick up his smelly socks again!" Heartbreaking! Too many guns in the US. I watched West Memphis Three a few days ago: Served 18 years for a crime which they had never committed. Shocking that a civilised country could come down with such a ruling. That detective should hang!

Sowed some dodgy seeds. Hate to throw them away, They are very small, but hey, a tub of compost doesn't cost much. I'd love to give them a chance.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My attempt to free range the hens ended in them being soaked to the bones. Well, I bought non GM grains, organic food for the hens (I can't vouch for the credentials of the funny looking mealworms from Wilko, but for guilty pleasure, we all resort to crisps, and for my case, flamin' hot cheetos!)

Early in the morning, Little Emperor fashioned an enclosed area on the lawn, restricted by celery and hellebores and we put 3 hens to "free range"! But soon after that, it rained steadily. I used a for sales board to cover the top to keep them dry. In the end, I had to retire them to the coops again. They were wet.

There was a bit of story which I have told here: When we got the hens at Basildon, they were boxed and we couldn't see the state they were in. I was very shocked to see that state they were in. Any way, whenever I felt hard done by, I would go to their website to upload some nasty photos. I didn't want these breeders to think I didn't have a voice. Perhaps, I was thinking of the perfect hens walking across the lawn, as seen in their adverts. Any way, someone emailed me that I could return them to Basildon. I resented that blasé attitude. It took a long journey to that place and after all, I bought up a lot of feeds. They advised layer mesh which I thought was for chicks, not hens. Any way, I bought a whole sac. Of course, seeing the weak shells of the eggs, I bought 3 bags of oyster shell grits and another sac of proper feed.

During a car journey, some woman phoned me, saying that they would look perfectly OK after 5 or 6 weeks. I asked her why I should want to donate £200 to them! I was furious that they advised me to donate £200 via their website, so I said, "Not only have I got some foul fowl but also a foul cow to deal with!" She said, "But you emailed about giving us £200!" I said no way I was donating any money to them. It turned out that I emailed my helper to help us level the patio - just a few pegs here an there to gauge the thickness so that we could do the pavers ourselves, I have freegled quite a few of them. So I said the email was meant for my helper, not them. In any case, NOWHERE did I mention hens in that email. I told her that and that all it talked about was PAVING the patio. You can understand how these people treat others! Nasty! They thought I didn't have a voice. I emailed that Basidlon hen farmers to let them know that I thought they were nasty. Only about 2 weeks later did I realise that I had been given two lame hens. One would sit next to the food, eyes closing as if she were dying!

Now, every time I feed the brood, I would feed them in four or five places. One in the main area, another one the back of the same area. Then I went to the next corner made by my son to feed a lame one. I had this strange love towards this lame hen. She would sit there and wait for her own food. To prevent others picking on her, I pour some onto the ground so that those greedy guts can feed to their hearts' content down on the ground level whilst this lamey picks at her own spot under in the balcony.

Seeds this year have been disappointing. The terrible drought hasn't done them any favour and now it's soaking wet.

1602656443538.png

This camera I bid is taking its time to be delivered. Let's hope it's not a dud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question