Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Please, gentlemen, DON'T rub it in! I am perspiring and 2 brollys are up for action for my employee with unabridled girth! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Days are distinctly shorter and it was such a hot day yesterday. I had to work in the garden with my employee. He said it will take another week to finish the greenhouses. Too optimistic and the number of broken glass the the bases to be built fill me with dread.

Got rid of all the tom which had suffered from blight. Shame. I really like the big ones but they are the ones most afflicted.

When Zannias are so beautiful, you know it's HOT!
SAM_0213.JPG
SAM_0212.JPG

Salvia La Mancha
SAM_0210.JPG
SAM_0181.JPG

Chrysantheumum in its many guises! Such great varieties and so different!
SAM_0208.JPG

Night Moth
SAM_0207.JPG

Helenium Rubinzwerg
SAM_0203.JPG
SAM_0202.JPG

Astrantia Gill Richardson
SAM_0201.JPG

Echinacea - no label Orange and aged to Red.
SAM_0199.JPG
SAM_0198.JPG

Fimbriated-laciniated, Stag Dahlia OMEGA
SAM_0196.JPG
SAM_0175.JPG

Fimbriated-laciniated, Stag Dahlia Philothea
SAM_0194.JPG
SAM_0193.JPG
SAM_0192.JPG

Cosmo Apricot Lemonade
SAM_0191.JPG

The Kismet® Series of Echinacea is noted for its abundant large flowers, fabulous habit and continuous flowering from summer to frost.

SAM_0182.JPG
SAM_0177.JPG

Echinacea Twister
SAM_0173.JPG

Blue Bayou dahlia
SAM_0187.JPG

Fimbriated-laciniated, Stag Dahlia Alauna Clair-obscur

SAM_0186.JPG
SAM_0185.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0189.JPG
    SAM_0189.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 40
  • SAM_0176.JPG
    SAM_0176.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 43

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No parcel and to add insult to injury, the flirty postman wrecked my letter box. He said I would get the parcel today as a van was going round and round the area today. Well, suddenly, a van pulled up. I joked there it was. No, it was a WHITE VAN! And Open Reach has been digging again. Yesterday, the mains were damaged by them and a stream was going down the small incline the whole day!

It's so dark outside. Can't reconcile the darkness with the sunshine predicted. Seems so impossible!

1600319048709.png

You know I'm running out of flowers when I have to photograph Fuchsias. But I was surprised at how beautiful they were yesterday!
SAM_0239.JPG
SAM_0238.JPG
SAM_0237.JPG

Well, I sold the little red camera. The girl had a bargain. I made 30p! LOL! She used that model before and held out £20 before even seeing the camera.

Well, I need a new camera. Look at the state of this capture! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh!
SAM_0236.JPG

Dahlia Fancy Pants just keeps giving - so beautiful and photogenic -- full of details!
SAM_0234.JPG
SAM_0233.JPG

Pooh! AGM - Fancy Pants outperforms this one!
SAM_0232.JPG

Aster Girasol
SAM_0230.JPG

Caribbean Fantasy - I hate it so much that I want to rip it up - but it keeps coming!
SAM_0228.JPG

Princess Kate
SAM_0227.JPG
SAM_0225.JPG
SAM_0223.JPG
SAM_0222.JPG

Penstemon Pensham Eleanor Young
SAM_0221.JPG
SAM_0218.JPG

Clematis Josephine is a real doer! Quietly flowering amongst a colony of pots!
SAM_0231.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0219.JPG
    SAM_0219.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, DrCase! Would love to see your photos!

Well, FINALLY, the box has arrived:joyful::joyful::joyful:, Perki! Whoopeee! :singing::singing::singing:

These emojis look so dodgy! I think they might have some life in them. All to play for. Thank you sooooooo much.

The box was hot! :joyful:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About time could of walked there and delivered the parcel in person faster than Royal mail , has the veronciastrum died ?

The dahlia doesn't look like Caribbean fantasy look more like Duet which I've grown before and thought it were hideous .

Its been a grand day again very busy at work trying to get as much done before autumn / winter arrives .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Haha! You should email them and asked for a refund or they keep doing it. They have been taken to court for failing to deliver stuff on the first class time frame.

This dahlia was wedged between an acer, a cornus, and it has been kept warm and safe and no digging was required. But it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm going to do a clear out; but I have been so busy. More spliting of hellebores. I reckon a lot of the beautiful ones have died. Those left have failed to produce more sideshoot. The labels have fallen off. Disaster! The 2 greenhouse frames are up.

The veroniscastrum might have some life in it. I soaked it upon receipt of the box. Tomorrow I will pot it up. Can it overwinter outside, Perki?

Weather has been glorious, but at night, it has been very cold outside.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's all very sad, Perki! Lancashire is going back to lock down again. What is the make-up of population your way? Do they have a lot of gatherings? Are they very family oriented or people with big extended families?

Rossendale: 80.4 per 100,000. Rising. Enhanced support.

I think the Eat out to help out has helped spread the virus. There were queues everywhere around those days. I didn't see any social distancing. I was one of thosse queuing up.

1600402997229.png

Another glorious day in the making - so nice! Just need a bit of rain!

I grounded some multi-vitamins and added the powder to water and a bit of sugar and let the hens drink it. Yesterday was the first day all 6 laid an egg! :joyful: :singing: Son is making a balcony so that they have more space to laid their eggs.

When they first came, the egg shells were like paper, cracked easily. I bought 4 bags of oyster shells to add to the feed and their egg shells are now strong and healthy looking. I also grounded their own egg shells with bananas and they loved it. From now on, we won't buy any oyster grit. When I first fed them watermelon, they looked at the slices suspiciously. Yesterdy, they had chocolate and grapes. Hopefully, after 6 weeks, I don't have to see their bald and sad bits.

At 7pm. we walked up to a house to sort out some decking boards so that employee can use them for greenhouse bases. He made a miscalculation and now the greenhouses can't be linked together because there is a bulging bit which stops the two joining up. And they were very tight together which is not ideal. I think I am going to get an angle grinder to remove a low wall so that they can spread out a bit. I was so tired last night that I nearly didn't know what I was saying.

I said to myself that I won't let employee turn my garden into a ghetto as I really don't need his contribution - the garden is already a ghetto

Just now I heard some terrible knocking sounds. I thought someone knocked at the lean-to violently. I switched on the light and there's the sounds - FROM THE NEW SAMSUNG WASHING MACHINE! The machine can't dry clothes dry enough; not so good as the previous Bosch and now the drum is knocking already. I shut the door to the lean to. Thank heavens they are collecting it on Monday. Samsung washing machine? No, not again. There the drum made terrible noise again. 3rd time within 15 minutes. Knocking for a 4th time. Oh, dear!

8am, we're off to collect the decking boards.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, I felt absolutely tired and it's like part of me was not there. We had to be collecting decking boards at 8am and before 10, we finished. Only 4 eggs from the hens and saw a much better black honka or Honka Obsidian.

The odd things found in my garden, smeared with fox's mess!
SAM_0281.JPG

Could be Duet! I don't remember buying this. Something similar, but this??
SAM_0279.JPG

Cacti Dahlia Alauna Clair-Obscur

SAM_0278.JPG
SAM_0277.JPG
SAM_0276.JPG

My camera makes me cringe when it comes to red!
SAM_0275.JPG

Aster Girasol and Dahlia Toto
SAM_0274.JPG

Cacti antler split petal Tsuki Yori no Geisha 月よりの芸者

This is a geisha

1600487638863.png

Not nice profession!

SAM_0273.JPG

Very pleased with Abutilon hybrid mixed. Bought this one nearly £8 and it's a standard. I thought it died, with everything limpy. Then another one with about 15 flowers on it. One raised from seeds, flowering again! Lovely genus!
SAM_0269.JPG
SAM_0268.JPG

Glorious Incarnata Cinderella
SAM_0266.JPG
SAM_0265.JPG
SAM_0262.JPG
SAM_0261.JPG
SAM_0260.JPG

Salvia Coccinea Lady in Red putting on such a good show and yet the camera has ruined it!
SAM_0259.JPG

Teesbrooke Audrey - my seed collection scheme has let me down.
SAM_0258.JPG
SAM_0251.JPG
SAM_0249.JPG
SAM_0248.JPG
SAM_0246.JPG

Amazing dahlias

Attachments

• SAM_0272.JPG
    SAM_0272.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 40
  • SAM_0271.JPG
    SAM_0271.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 36
  • SAM_0267.JPG
    SAM_0267.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 37

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all dull and cooler here ,some lovely flowers there alp.

Awwwwwwwwww! You're so sweet! I'm going to take a pic of your Honka Obsidian and might be able to send you and Perki some tubers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well its been rather nice here the past week and tomorrow and Monday supposed to be good . I'll go GC when I get out of bed later .

Been doing a planting job today which turned out to be a nightmare , started off with thick clay then it went to reasonable soil then Tarmac, it took me forever getting out lumps of tarmac I had to dig the plant holes with a mattock.

Back in locked here i think its Tuesday , it is high around here ( and surrounding areas ) think it were only last week it was the 2nd or 3rd worst in England

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's so nice to have such a lovely spell in mid or late September. Having said that, that day at 29c was killing me. We had to work outside nearly the whole afternoon and had to resort to all sorts of brollys - 3 altogether; however, the humidity made me feel greasy and perspire non-stop.

Little Emperor fixed the coop for the hens and built a balcony for the hens to to lay eggs. We found a box and he removed the middle bit to use as a nest box.

Yes, from the figure, Rossendale is one of the highest. I hope you quoted your job properly, Perki! Next time the first questions could be: Is your soil clay? Or feel the texture and tarmac a red flag. Hope you haven't got blister for that. Surprised you didn't invest in a small drill. I hope the lock down is only local and specific.

The centre of this Alauna Clair-Obscur is dark purple and it's so pretty. The low light must have bleached the colour! Shame.
SAM_0307.JPG
SAM_0306.JPG
SAM_0305.JPG

Totally Tangerine
SAM_0303.JPG
SAM_0282.JPG
SAM_0286.JPG
SAM_0300.JPG

Art Deco
SAM_0298.JPG
SAM_0297.JPG

Xanthos
SAM_0296.JPG

This pompon will have to go!
SAM_0295.JPG
SAM_0294.JPG

What we scavenged yesterday: these 2 plants , 2 huge pots, about 8 scaffolding boards. Employee told us where to get them.
SAM_0285.JPG

Penstemon Black Bird
SAM_0291.JPG
SAM_0290.JPG

Pooh
SAM_0289.JPG

SAM_0287.JPG

Honka Obsidian: You really have to get close to appreciate its details.
SAM_0283.JPG
SAM_0282.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0288.JPG
    SAM_0288.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 37
  • SAM_0284.JPG
    SAM_0284.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 38

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning - murky sky here and it even drizzled. Not cheerful!

1600669293550.png

It was very hot yesterday.

Your eupatoriums are beautiful - at their prime! My flowers are brown and dead looking. Now, I might even have to dig them dug as the two greenhouses are too big as employee miscalculated. He kept saying the smaller one is 6 x6. Turned out no smaller one at all. Both 6 x 8 and one gets wider at the top ie not a straight rectangle.

What is the name of the lilac colour in the 3rd pic please? Quite nice. I haven't had Annebelle flowering for a long time. Amazing to see yours . Lawn really sets off the scene. But I want no lawn. Nightmare to store a lawnmower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question