Lucky Bamboo Roots Help Please!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting here. Hope everyone's doing great.
I didn't know where else to post this so sorry if this is the wrong place but I could really use your help please!

I've been growing a lucky bamboo that I moved from soil to water for over half a year and recently over a few weeks I'm noticing that its roots are turning black.
It's not that they're rotting or anything, I've checked closely and there's no smell or mushiness and the leaves and stem seem healthy.

It's like some sort of black sludge covering the roots but it doesn't seem to come off if I wash it or try to rub it away. At first I didn't worry too much since it didn't come off and the plant seemed healthy otherwise, but I'm now seeing a hint of yellowing on the tip of one of the lower leaves and I'm really worried if something's wrong.

I dunno how to explain it well with words so I've attached some pictures.
U7V05jR.jpg

3UBrIEy.jpg

GmmU8lA.jpg

C9eh6SR.jpg

rk6NMYA.jpg

9WwSUNL.jpg

You will see that there are still some orange parts in the roots and also you can see a sort of dark green outline around the black roots when it's submerged in the water. It just looks like it's covered in slime, but again, it doesn't come off if I try to rub it off.

I didn't try to be too rough with the plant and occasionally just run my fingers through the roots to see if anything comes off and sometimes little bits and pieces come off if I scrub really hard. I've also been changing the water once every week since I first got it and only use boiled filtered water.

I'd really appreciate any advice! I really love this plant and don't want to have anything happen to it if I could prevent it.

A bit of backstory if it helps:
I got this plant around eight or nine months ago. Someone I knew gave it to me in a tiny plastic cup with rocks and water. I could easily tell that it was originally grown in soil and they had just picked it out and put it in the cup since the plant seemed way too big to fit in it and there was still soil left on its roots.
I was angry that they took it out of soil and was worried that it wouldn't survive the stress of being moved to water. But since I'm a complete novice and had no experience with replanting and water seemed to be the easiest method to maintain for a beginner, I just hoped for the best and took it out of the cup, washed it and put it in a bigger water bottle cut in half filled with filtered water.
I was really worried it wouldn't make it but after a few days I noticed it started to grow new "water roots". It was really cool to see them grow from tiny white threads to long beautiful orange roots.

Since then it's been doing well and has even grown a new leaf (though it's a little lighter in color). I've been changing the water routinely and occasionally change the container bottle.

But it's just recently that I've been noticing it's roots going black. It started off with the main big root, which was the "soil root". Originally it was dark orange but soon it started getting darker and now it's pretty black as you can see.

One concern I have is if this "soil root" is somehow decomposing since it's not being used by the plant and is somehow affecting the other roots. But then again I'm guessing it would have happened a long time ago and I would have noticed some odor or some other sign. I've had this plant for months and it didn't seem to show any signs of distress or anything like that.

I really hope everything turns out ok and someone can help. This is the first plant I ever got and it really means a lot to me..

Sorry for such a long post and thanks for reading and for any advice!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My thought would be the boiled water... I feel like boiling it may be releasing a small amount of whatever the pot is made from ..some times old pots can start to leech metals ... especially if your heat is extremely high on your stove ... this is a 4 year old post and I’m new here to ... curious to hear how it’s doing if you still have it ...

Reaction score
Country
France
If the roots grew first in soil then they may be dying because the medium was changed and they've not adjusted. You can try adding some hydrogen peroxide into the water to help slow the root rot, but I'm not sure this will make it since so much of the root system is necrotic.

Editing to say that you could potentially cut the damaged bit and try to get water roots to grow from the nodes above the current roots.

Ask a Question