Lucky bamboo sprouting new limbs?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm Carenna and new to this forum so i hope to not be too terribly annoying of a forum noob :) Taking care of plants make me happy and watching them get healthy makes me even happier (currently rescuing a poinsettia from work).

I have these 4 lucky bamboo stalks i bought about 6 years ago with 2 feet tall stems that are all together in a tall vase with water. Recently, two of the stems have sprouted each a new limb which i read to be not a very common occurence as usually stems have 1 limb and to get more, you need to intervene by cutting the top off and i forget what else it said to do.

So anyways, i chalked that up to those 2 being extra lucky, but i think i have a third stem that's double lucky. I was inpecting and admiring my lovely plants when i noticed that way down at the bottom of one stalk amongst the roots, are two new stems growing underwater! This one stalk has 3 stems, 2 of which are water-borne!

My question is, does anyone have any information regarding new stems randomly sprouting? I couldnt find any google links with this information:(

Also, how on earth do i care for these 2 new stems that are eventually going to get tangled in the root system? The vase opening is small to keep the plants more upright and they may damage if i ever need to remove them from the vase if the root system gets sick. One is also well below most roots so i cant simply reduce the amount of water.

Please help:(

Attachments

• 20170303_185715.jpg
    20170303_185715.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 515
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have never grown Bamboo and have no explanation for the random stems sprouting but I'm sure it doesn't matter because they'll grow up to be beautiful. I don't think the 2 new stems will get tangled up in the roots, they're usually strong enough to get out of them. Just leave the plant up to its own devices it should do great

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
All this is normal for lucky bamboo (DracaenaSanderiana). Dormant buds may wake up even in the water.
However, for a long time they will not be as thick as the mother plant. If you want, you can simply delete them. When they grow longer than they do now, they will be able to become independent plants.

Ask a Question