Liverwort: propagation and care

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
Hi all!
I found a small amount of liverwort in a pot in the greenhouse at work, and I LOVE it. I've never found liverwort before and I really want to get as much of this to grow as possible. I've already used a dropper to splash some of the gemmae out of the cups. Some of them even landed on the soil I have in there! I know moss doesn't really need fertilizer, but I don't know much about liverwort aside from the life cycle stuff I learned in college biology. I have them in a glass petri dish in a north facing window right now, but I want to put some in my back garden where nothing grows. I'm hoping to make it a moss garden!

Second photo is at ~200x magnification.
17142252_10158399244740442_801691662_o (1).jpg

16999022_10158378429570442_1706496669468109852_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
A little funny to me.
mocking.gif
Liverwort literally attacked shady bed of primroses in my garden. Every year I struggle with it, but when the rains come and fog, she quickly covers the entire surface of the soil.
It is a pity that custom prohibits send it to the US.
Crude ground and shade - the key to success. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
A little funny to me.
mocking.gif
Liverwort literally attacked shady bed of primroses in my garden. Every year I struggle with it, but when the rains come and fog, she quickly covers the entire surface of the soil.
It is a pity that custom prohibits send it to the US.
Crude ground and shade - the key to success. :)

That's wonderful! I suppose I'll just keep watering it and once my petri dish is full, I'll move the whole mat to my garden. :LOL: It's funny that you're trying so hard to get rid of it. I've never seen one in person before, and (because I'm a big nerd) I've been looking for one for about 10 years.

Ask a Question