Pachysandra propagation.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need lots of evergreen ground cover for my garden makeover. I've already bought Ajuga Reptans seeds and sown these in plug trays. I'd like to plant different ground cover to different areas of the garden; Periwinkle (Vinca Minor) and Pachysandra are two more I'm looking at. I've also sown French Lavender seeds and these are pushing through in plug trays.

This morning Bron and I bought two potted Pachysandra both in excellent health the Pachysandra that is and at half price for £7 the two. Being a novice gardener I've spent a while looking for Pachysandra seeds but apparently the way to propagate Pachysandra is to divide or take cuttings. I would very much appreciate advice please regarding can I take cuttings now then over winter them in the cold frame?

Do I need to take precautions regarding what I use as a tool for cutting; my secateurs are well used and could these transmit disease; would I be better using my Stanley knife with a new blade installed; I have lots of new clean plug type trays and I've just ordered online 250 plastic plant pots. I have two big bags of multi purpose compost and a small tub of rooting compound; I'm keen to get cracking and to learn.

Any advice; suggestions or tips will be most welcome.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSCN2976.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
If conditions will remain mild enough within your cold-frame you could strike the cuttings in October, but if there is doubt in that regard, it would be prudent to wait until Spring. Japanese false-spurge (Pachysandra terminalis), in the Boxwood Family (Buxaceae) and native to China, Japan, and Sakhalin, roots fairly easily, being rhizomatous, but consider using a rooting hormone to increase the rate of success. Sterilizing your secateurs before the first cut should be adequate, assuming that they cut well.

Ask a Question