Indoor growing / Propagation of Cuttings, Prunings & Food Scraps

Reaction score
Obviously when we purchase food from a store or Farmer, we can save seeds from apples, pears, avocado, lemons, and others to plant in a pot and grow outside. Most fruits purchased from the store came from grafted trees, meaning the tree may have different varieties growing on them. Thus, the fruit you ate may not be the same variety, taste, shape that you grow.

Of course I still sprout fruit seeds I have saved from store-bought fruits, because I am experimenting with re-growing FREE food. But when it comes to re-growing your food scraps (the ends of celery or lettuce) will continue to root and grow food within weeks.

As seen in the demonstration below, First put cuttings in water next to a sunny window, then move to a pot of soil to continue to root. This method is a Simple strategy to growing FREE food.

source: cooking stoned

From my experience, carrots are useless to re-grow because you would only be growing them for the carrot greens. However, you can certainly put carrot tops in the ground to re-grow a full-sized carrot. Also from experience, green onions take three days to re-grow full size (and ready to harvest). Re-growing lettuce takes a month, but will produce fresh leaves within a week. You can re-grow Cilantro, basil, or possibly any herb using this method. Even Button mushrooms from the store can be re-grown, for example: "Plant mushroom stalks in soil with some compost or used coffee grounds and keep them in a moist environment, preferably where it will be cool at night. They can be tricky to grow, and within a few days the stems will either start to sprout new heads or rot" (Food Hacks).

source: cooking stoned

Other people have used this method of re-growing food, look at the pictures below for inspiration...

photo source: True Activist

Source: Eating the Week

Source: Eating the Week

photo source

photo: Garden4Goodies

Do not limit yourself to re-growing vegetables alone: Cuttings from Fruit trees can also be rooted with this method, known as Propagation. Once or twice a year, Fruit trees will need to be pruned (in Spring or Fall). By taking the cuttings ("prunings") and placing them in water, the tree will root at the ends, then place the tree in a pot of soil. Growing trees in a pot should be temporary so you can monitor the soil conditions, moisture, and temperature. In April through Summer months, transplant Fruit tree from the pot to a place in your yard (garden). Continue to water tree every other day for a successful transplant. If pruning trees in the Fall, place Tree cuttings in the fridge to stay dormant or transplant to a pot of soil indoors over the winter.

photo source: Mulberrytrees

Many vegetables can be grown from food scraps, and many of these can be grown successfully in containers so There is no need to have an outdoor garden to transplant your cuttings from the cups of water (but I highly recommend it!)

Please refer to my post on Fruit trees and vegetables that can be grown in Containers: Grow Veggies & Fruit trees in Containers (Limited Space & Urban gardening)

Original post @ Indoor growing / Propagation of Cuttings, Prunings & Food Scraps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is so interesting. Thank you for creating such an informative thread, Cassie K! I love it. Re-growing food scraps is a wonderful idea:D So far, I've tried it only with carrots. I managed to grow really pretty carrot greens:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO growing from scraps is basically a waste of time. What do you really achieve? A stunted plant that you may or may not actually benefit from? Lettuce for instance. Why would you try to grow an iceberg lettuce when all you can possibly grow is a few leaves at best when you can sow leaf lettuce or bibb lettuce and have a viable crop in 35 days? Taking cuttings from fruit trees is very iffy at best. Most fruit trees are grafted and even if the cutting takes it will take between 3 and 5 years to to produce fruit. If it was a grafted tree you took the cuttings from it will not be the same because of the different root stock. If it was not a grafted tree it will still take years to produce. And pineapples? How much time, energy and money do you want to invest in a fruit that will be half sized with an unknown flavor if and when it ever matures. Pineapples are grown in specific regions for a reason and your kitchen window isn't one of them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
As a bonsai grower I've got a fair amount of experience of growing little trees from cuttings, but very little experience of any other kind of gardening. However I've been wanting to try growing my own ginger and celery for a while now, so the chart you posted here will help me to get started. Thanks.

Reaction score
This is so interesting. Thank you for creating such an informative thread, Cassie K! I love it. Re-growing food scraps is a wonderful idea:D So far, I've tried it only with carrots. I managed to grow really pretty carrot greens:D
As a bonsai grower I've got a fair amount of experience of growing little trees from cuttings, but very little experience of any other kind of gardening. However I've been wanting to try growing my own ginger and celery for a while now, so the chart you posted here will help me to get started. Thanks.
IMO growing from scraps is basically a waste of time. What do you really achieve? A stunted plant that you may or may not actually benefit from? Lettuce for instance. Why would you try to grow an iceberg lettuce when all you can possibly grow is a few leaves at best when you can sow leaf lettuce or bibb lettuce and have a viable crop in 35 days? Taking cuttings from fruit trees is very iffy at best. Most fruit trees are grafted and even if the cutting takes it will take between 3 and 5 years to to produce fruit. If it was a grafted tree you took the cuttings from it will not be the same because of the different root stock. If it was not a grafted tree it will still take years to produce. And pineapples? How much time, energy and money do you want to invest in a fruit that will be half sized with an unknown flavor if and when it ever matures. Pineapples are grown in specific regions for a reason and your kitchen window isn't one of them

Considering I am working towards growing most of my own food, any amount of food growing (even from food scraps) is NOT a waste of time. And those who rent apartments (with no yard) would be able to grow greens in their kitchen from food scraps. But I agree with you that it may seem like a waste of time when you can grow outdoors in the summer. I grow all of my food outdoors, and through the winter I grow green onions and lettuce indoors. If you buy a head of lettuce from the store, cut the end and plant it in the ground instead of indoors. But in the winter months I like having lettuce growing on the counter, it brings some life and greenery to dreariness.

The idea is to buy food once and propagate for another fruit . Particularly the pineapple, I would like to grow a plant from a cutting. I would grow it in my greenhouse. Pineapples take 2 yrs to fruit, and I would be ok with that. Many of the fruit trees I am growing take 5-6 yrs to produce fruit. I have started germinating lemon seeds, oranges, apples, pears, and other fruit seeds that I expect to grow for another 10+ yrs before they produce fruit. And as I mentioned in the first few sentences of this article, these fruit seeds may come from grafted trees, and you are likely to get a whole different fruit or no fruit at all. I am not experienced with rooting tree cuttings, but I have done a little research on rooting and propagating from prunings. I am experimenting and I will document my process ~

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
When I was at the supermarket yesterday I noticed that a lot of the pieces of ginger on sale already seemed to be starting to sprout, so I made sure to choose one of those. I soaked it overnight and planted it this morning. It's now sitting in my greenhouse and I can't wait to see if it grows. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as my only previous attempt to grow ginger was unsuccessful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
A lady at work told me one of the easiest and prettiest things to grow is sweet potato. All you have to do is slice it and stick some toothpicks in it placing the bottom in water. She said that the plant gets real big and you get very pretty flowers that look like morning glories. I never tried this but I would like to. I am a bit afraid it could smell bad. I have a nice big pot that would be perfect, has anyone done this? Any tips?
dscf0276s.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
In the past month, I again started growing plants through cutting stems and re-planting them for the purpose of abundance. I must say, trying to plant seeds from bought fruits is a good idea for experimentation. Thank you for this!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Awesome guide and awesome photos! I've only tried this concept with green onions, and only for as long as ten cuttings or so. I'm drooling at the idea of having my own home-grown supply of garlic and ginger in my kitchen. Too bad it just takes so darn long!

Ask a Question