Propagation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious what people have done to successfully propagate fresh cuttings. Soil mixtures, water etc.

I've got a huge yard and have had zero success propagating any of the plants in the yard.

Some of the plants Id like to propogate are hydrangeas, butterfly bushes, clematis, anything really.

I'm not adverse to setting up a propagation system either just need some ideas.

Thanks,
Scott

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Long ago when I lived in California I had a ton of geraniums, all different colors. They're perennials there. You could snap a stem off of one, stick it in the ground and off it would go. Other than house plants that's the only outdoor plant I've ever propogated. Where do you live? Your climate will make a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
What we do with cuttings is to soak it in water with aspirin for 1 day before planting. My husband said that his aunt had taught him that trick so the cutting will be vigorous in sprouting roots. With the planting medium, the best for us is 2 parts loam soil and a third part of rice husk. Let the mixture rest for a week or two so they meld together before using as potting medium. When the cuttings start to grow new leaves, you can add compost to boost the growth.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The best advice I can give you is to research each of the different types of plants, to figure out which method works with each plant. (y)

The other advice I can give you is to take several cuttings and try several things! Some cuttings will root in a cup of water. Some you can just stick in the dirt and keep moist. My mother had a lot of luck with a rooting product called "Rootone." (But sometimes she'd use the powder, then put the plant in water, other times she'd stick it in dirt.)

Experiment!! And good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
For rooting in just water how often should the water be changed?

I tried rooting around 50 hydrangea cuttings, fifteen lorepetulums, and maybe ten butterfly bush cuttings using rooting powder over the winter. Cuttings went into a potting soil medium then under power compacts running 6 hours a day. Most everything died within two weeks, about ten hydrangeas survived longer than two weeks then died. Was misting each about every three to four days. All were soft cuttings.

I've read you can place cuttings into a potato then plant and they'll grow. Anyone ever tries this? May give it a shot this weekend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've only just started this year with any type of gardening. But I've had some successful herb propagation using a hydroponics system. I have a few buckets with an air stone and fish tank water and a fish tank light. This set up is in my garage and stays pretty warm through the day. I keep the lights on 10+ hours a day. In about 2-3 seeks I have some nice little root . I then place those new roots in a root hormone and plant them in pots.

I really get a kick out of checking them frequently and seeing just how fast they grow.

Tillie

Passionate Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Propagation works best when the type of plant you are propagating is at a specific level of growth. You will see names in the research such as softwood cuttings, hardwood cuttings Etc. If you Google the type of tree, shrub, or perennial that you are trying to propagate, you may find out which type of cutting it is classified as and the best time to harvest the tips that you will use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Just curious what people have done to successfully propagate fresh cuttings. Soil mixtures, water etc.

I've got a huge yard and have had zero success propagating any of the plants in the yard.

Some of the plants Id like to propogate are hydrangeas, butterfly bushes, clematis, anything really.

I'm not adverse to setting up a propagation system either just need some ideas.

Thanks,
Scott
I get 50-60 60% sucsess from just using vermiculite or pumice. Salt free sand also.
Heat mats help but I really don't use them except for toms or peppers.
Get a 10 20 no drip tray. Put in a 72 insert.
Fill it with pumice.
Use "dip and grow"
This is only a suggestion.
Your heat source may differ from mine.
As well as you sun source.
I'll post pics if needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Propagation works best when the type of plant you are propagating is at a specific level of growth. You will see names in the research such as softwood cuttings, hardwood cuttings Etc. If you Google the type of tree, shrub, or perennial that you are trying to propagate, you may find out which type of cutting it is classified as and the best time to harvest the tips that you will use.
Yes. Seasons are a factor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
For rooting in just water how often should the water be changed?

I tried rooting around 50 hydrangea cuttings, fifteen lorepetulums, and maybe ten butterfly bush cuttings using rooting powder over the winter. Cuttings went into a potting soil medium then under power compacts running 6 hours a day. Most everything died within two weeks, about ten hydrangeas survived longer than two weeks then died. Was misting each about every three to four days. All were soft cuttings.

I've read you can place cuttings into a potato then plant and they'll grow. Anyone ever tries this? May give it a shot this weekend.
By the way , hydrangea and butterfly and fuchsia are super easy to take cuttings from vedmeculite or pumice or salt free sand.

Ask a Question