Lemon balm turning black

Reaction score
I have a lemon balm plant in my garden that sprouts beautifully each year and sends up lovely new green shoots. After a few weeks though all of the leaves begin to turn black or brown. They almost look like they have been burnt by a hot sun but living in Ireland I know that this is not the case. Does anyone else experience this or have any solutions?
Thanks!

Reaction score
When plant leaves start to turn colors other than a healthy green they are trying to tell us something. What is your soil like? Do you fertilize the plant? Sounds like the soil is too rich for the plant so perhaps mix sand into it or move the plant. Brown flaky leaves generally indicate too little water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Is the leaf actually turning color or is it covered with rust or mold? Try spraying it with aspirin water and moving it around to get less or more sun, as well as water more or less often based on what you've already been doing. Different times of the year it may do better in full sun or in shade or patchy sun, etc.

Reaction score
It's definitely the leaves that are changing colour, not mould or rust. It's in quite a sunny spot but I've no idea what the acidity of the soil is I'm afraid. I don't fertilise it and I usually just let the rain do my watering for me, lol! (I live in Ireland so that's not a problem!) Maybe I will try planting a cutting in a different patch of the garden and seeing if that is happier... Thanks!

Reaction score
Lemon balm does love the sun so try what ChanellG recommended. How much are you watering and feeding it? I never have to fertilize my lemon balm, it grows like a maniac without any fertilizer, it would be out of control if I did fertilize it.

Reaction score
I have a lemon balm plant in my flower bed and I use it in my ice tea. It is in direct sun and the soil is actually very poor. I do not fertilize it and I water it a couple of times a week because the soil dries out so fast. It seems to be doing quiet good and is just slowly getting better. I also have several different kinds of mint in the same bed and they are also doing very good.Maybe the soil it is planted in is to rich? Or maybe the soil does not drain enough.

Ask a Question