Large Words on a steep slope

JTC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Does anyone have any advice on how to put words on a steep slope? I think gravel would be good but I don't know how to get them to stay on the slope. I can post pics if needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Place gravel. Scoop out letters in the gravel. Pour liquid cement in the grooves and over that sprinkle coloured sand. Let it dry atleast for a day. Then gently sweep off.Whatever loose sand that is scattered will be swept away. The sand stuck to the cement will highlight the letters. Good Luck.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Could also build forms out of wood or plastic

Reaction score
i never paid attentiion since i hadn't thought of something like that, but i wonder if one of those places that sells concrete lawn ornaments might have letters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Big rusty metal letters would look great. Maybe there is a metal works company that might do it for you. My son works for a metal works company and they have done some specific things for us. I don't know whether it's a matter of "who you know" but maybe it's worth a try. Just as thought!! Good luck with your (y)project.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the forums.

Photos of the site would have helped, but on any significant slope, loose gravel would need to be held in place somehow. Trenches, various types of frames (wood, stone, metal, etc.) or binders such as concrete or mortar could all keep the pebbles in place, but all these methods would work well without pebbles at all! The sign can lay flat against the surface of the slope, or it can be raised and propped up to a higher angle. For example, the upright, vertical letters of the famous 'Hollywood' sign.

You never mentioned how permanent or temporary, these letters would be, but if you intend them to remain in place indefinitely, sturdy structural materials will be required.
Of course, there many more options for temporary signage, involving painted tarps, poster boards, and the like.

Ask a Question