Covering large mud patch on slope

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

Can someone suggest inexpensive ways of patching a large area of mud that leads into the backyard? The mud area is about 12x4' and slopes downhill. Should I put down topsoil and grass seed, mulch, pavers or other options?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Leon, welcome to the site. We can give you much better advice if we know your growing conditions. Are you in Alaska or Florida? The answer will be different for each location. If you can give us your hardiness zone it will really help.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The mud area is about 12x4' and slopes downhill.

Depending on what you're allowed to do or what you want to do, a good option would be a mix of native grasses and native plants that have deep roots to prevent any possible erosion in the future. The 12' by 4' size sounds like a perfect size for a small native garden. This photo I found online represents something of what I'm describing, just a much bigger area, obviously.

prairieyard.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm going to second what SilentRunning, knowing your hardiness zone would be helpful. (y)

When you say, "a large area of mud that leads into the backyard," is it your path to the backyard? :confused: You mention grass or pavers, so will you be walking through there to access the yard? Could/Would you upload a picture, please?

And - Welcome to the forum!! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
As others have said, to know the location, as well as see a photo would help.

Why not "Terrace" it? That can be done for free, and it can look very nice if done correctly.

Ask a Question