Know your garden friends

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello earth lovers,
Having been outside most of the day (and getting older) I have decided to do something to help our new to gardening,
I have said you really must understand what the growing is all about,
So as i have seen this week one of our new to the Art of growing in the garden Asking what can i grow that's easy to grow' !!!!!
Not one member said weeds ,
That's not meaning to sound in a funny way, you will be amazed how many weeds we once ate in our daily diet not that many years ago And we all know just how simple weeds seem to appear when the sown seed of choice do not,

So let's get into the real understanding of who is the gardeners friend when it comes to our soil and how they help the seed's/plant's really grow well,

The common garden worm:geek:
Yes this creature not only help air the soil by it's natural movement and digging hole's But it is a factory of it's own all in one creature,

Lets know more,
The worm eats the the likes of leaf / most decaying material found in the underground, And then once these foods are digested ,
They are passed through the worm to the end of it's body'

(that can be seen on the warms body at the end of the worm, and is more wrinkly & harder than the rest of the body)
It is now that the soil is about to be improved by the worms delivery of it's excrement

Not only is this excellent for the soil this delivery also feeds another of natures insects and the name humus now comes into our garden understanding,
Humus is what all those million &million's of very tiny insects feed on and then their natural passing of this humus makes the soil richer and helps break down the clay in the more shall we say clay bound soil,
So the word Humus (meaning rotting plantation) is very Important to the difference between poor soil and good soil that you can grow in,
If you have a garden that's more Clay than soil ? You now know what you have to do to change from a poor growing condition (clay) to a better growing soil,

Answer compost /manure added to poor soil will lift the P.H READING, 1 to 7 (7 is a good rich soil reading, )

So I feel you now know just what a friend to the gardener the Common worm is and how this creature is one of natures tools we need.

I hope the new to gardening understand how important the soil is, before you sow/plant anything get a soil reading kit (garden Center ) they are not costly and worth every penny and very easy to understand,

So to end today's lesson, Just think this way Give yourself a chance and then the garden ? You now know what information you need to have a chance to grow veg & flowers / fruit
that really are fresh when picked, And taste like nature made them to taste ,

Ask a Question