Garden Trivia Friday

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Garden trivia Friday? "Strange Garden Tool Names " is the category. Have you ever heard of a 'Widger', a 'Pooter', a 'Dibble', or a 'Mattock'?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
A Widger is a small gardening tool used to loosen soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pooter I know from my brother and father, who were biologists, as a way of picking up insects by suction without harming them or sucking them into your mouth (Yech), don't know if that's a garden tool exactly, maybe it is something else as well.
Dibble I would guess to be what I call a dibbler, an old handle from a fork or spade usually, cut short and made pointed for making holes for planting. Historically in East Anglia they used 'dibbling sticks', two long sticks with a bullet shaped metal head held one in each hand and banged into the ground whilst walking along to make holes for the person following to plant wheat seed in.
Widger I hadn't heard before, mattock I think of as a 'common or garden' name for what Americans seem to call a 'heavy hoe'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Mattock - have a small single hand one that is great for raised beds. I wore out and broke my fullsize one pulling up concrete and using it to break up ice in a driveway.

Dibble - great for setting out onion starts and other small seedlings.

Looked up the other two and I generally use a knife or stick for that operation.

Ask a Question