Dogs peeing in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
was not sure where to put this but..

can anyone point me in the direction of something to put down to stop dogs peeing on my front garden? the garden is open and a public footpath is in front of it.

its impossible for me to stop them without putting something down,

just wanted to know if anyone has anything that will stop a dog from enjoy my garden :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wotcha philbo - it's always a pain if you cannot stick a fence or something around your garden. Some nice prickly berberis or holly might put the dogs off, but unless your neighbourhood is full of dogs that roam around on their own, it's usually people who are a bigger problem than the dogs are. How about a sign by your plants with a warning - like ''these plants are likely to cause irritation to the skin if touched'' or ''beware of the electricity conductor'' or ''I will shoot the next dog that pees on my grass'' 😇 [joke] for any americans reading......

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ha! I need to post some pictures of the sidewalk to street easement that runs for about a quarter mile in front of some gated/walled in luxury townhomes up from my house.
The people that live in there are Filth! They walk their DOGS outside the community and don't clean up after them, and I'm not talking Pee!
I know the City's Environmental Control Officer by name now........

Reaction score
Country
United States
was not sure where to put this but..

can anyone point me in the direction of something to put down to stop dogs peeing on my front garden? the garden is open and a public footpath is in front of it.

its impossible for me to stop them without putting something down,

just wanted to know if anyone has anything that will stop a dog from enjoy my garden :(
Try mothballs. No animals like them. But you have to use a lot! Another suggestion is a motion detector sprinkler. And, do these dogs have owners? If so I'd have a conversation with them. Dog urine ruins soils, changes the composition so that eventually nothing can grow there. And, it stinks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try mothballs. No animals like them. But you have to use a lot! Another suggestion is a motion detector sprinkler. And, do these dogs have owners? If so I'd have a conversation with them. Dog urine ruins soils, changes the composition so that eventually nothing can grow there. And, it stinks.
Dog pees (we all have to, even you). The rain comes, the soil sorts itself out, and nature puts everything right again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dog pees (we all have to, even you). The rain comes, the soil sorts itself out, and nature puts everything right again.
Wrong. Dog urine is toxic to soil. It actually changes the chemical composition of the soil and, if there's enough of it, nothing will grow there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I seem to remember mothballs being illegal here in Britain now.
I didn't know you were in Britain, and I don't know about mothballs there. I hope they never do that here -- I couldn't do without them.
If you can't use mothballs, try to find another substance with a chemical odor dogs avoid. There is a chemical called Angry Orange. It has a very strong odor and dogs do not like citrus at all. So maybe that would work for you? Or natural remedies include spices like hot chili and cinnamon, vinegar, alcohol, or strong scented herbs such as mint.
Is it common for dogs to go around by themselves in Britain? I know there are many people who will swear that dog urine isn't harmful and "fertilizes the grass." But this is not true. Dog urine is actually very harmful to both plants and soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wrong. Dog urine is toxic to soil. It actually changes the chemical composition of the soil and, if there's enough of it, nothing will grow there.
It is very damaging, and is certainly not helpful at all, but the rain does tend to correct that problem very well I have found. My discovery came from my dog friendly camping site here in Kent UK. The rain has always fixed the problem very quickly. Grass is surprisingly tough, and without loads of poisonous sprays etc the soil corrects itself without intervention. Nature is a wonderful invention - it doesn't need our help - more the other way round ☺️

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is very damaging, and is certainly not helpful at all, but the rain does tend to correct that problem very well I have found. My discovery came from my dog friendly camping site here in Kent UK. The rain has always fixed the problem very quickly. Grass is surprisingly tough, and without loads of poisonous sprays etc the soil corrects itself without intervention. Nature is a wonderful invention - it doesn't need our help - more the other way round ☺️
The issue is mainly public areas, such as the grass median next to street curbs, or parks. Many dog owners I know think it's okay for their dogs to relieve themselves on grass. It is not, please take your doggy to the curb. It may smell but it won't damage the concrete and asphalt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know you were in Britain, and I don't know about mothballs there. I hope they never do that here -- I couldn't do without them.
If you can't use mothballs, try to find another substance with a chemical odor dogs avoid. There is a chemical called Angry Orange. It has a very strong odor and dogs do not like citrus at all. So maybe that would work for you? Or natural remedies include spices like hot chili and cinnamon, vinegar, alcohol, or strong scented herbs such as mint.
Is it common for dogs to go around by themselves in Britain? I know there are many people who will swear that dog urine isn't harmful and "fertilizes the grass." But this is not true. Dog urine is actually very harmful to both plants and soil.

My location is in my avatar box. I think it's fairly obvious to most that Scotland is in Britain. :)

Sorry, It's not me that has the problem with dogs. I was just pointing out that mothballs are no longer available here.

Ask a Question