My 55+ year old dogwood has browning limbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
My dogwood has a limb that is turning brown. There are some older smaller dead limbs, so Im hoping this is a one off.

It hangs over the sidewalk. Earlier this spring we trimmed a branch that Y'ed off this one that was catching my husband's truck when we was pulling in the driveway, but I dont think that would do it.

The bird nest has been there for years, so I don't think that has done it either.

I thought maybe the heat from the sidewalk fried it, but it hasn't been nearly as hot as usual here in Georgia this year *knock on wood*.

I noticed some of the leaflets further down the same trunk is spotting and yellowing, but maybe lack of sun?

I usually wouldn't be worried, but we had a 60-80 year old oak tree just *die* this summer. There is a hole in the back of the trunk's bark, so Im sure it's rotting or there is a fungus. Its about 100' away from this tree and other trees seem fine.

Any ideas on what's going on with this dogwood?

Attachments

• 20210704_114535.jpg
    20210704_114535.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210704_114411.jpg
    20210704_114411.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210704_114415.jpg
    20210704_114415.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210704_114720.jpg
    20210704_114720.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Your tree is not trying to out little branches all over the place down low and that is a sign of good health. In fact it generally looks good. That branch may just be done. They can get wind whipped or have problems with the outer xylem when they get long like that. You know how violent the thunderstorms can be. Any break can let in a fungi spore. Those spots you are showing may be bacterial leaf spot. It and other problems are often hosted by trees. Actinovate and Bs will help.

Dogwoods are susceptible to fungus. Probably not any more than others, but it has been wet this year in the southeast (bama wave!) and fungi have flourished.

A problem with watching a branch above a infected root die is that at first it can be hard to say. Then comes another and you really lose the tree either aesthetically or full tree death.

Soooo, whether its a popular opinion to do so or not, I have taken to using systemic fungicides like clearys 3336. There is probably a lot to be said about killing beneficial fungi knocking about the roots, but so far its a strategem that has been working for me. I have a new subject struggling, a birch, that likes damp feet. Go figure.

Anyway we have lost a yard acer, are working on losing a dogwood ourselves (not the old craggy ones, an ornamental) and now this birch. I think I saved a cypress. The neighbor lost a whole row of them. We have lost some big oaks and a variety of naturalized trees to root fungus, and those can cost big to take down near the house the way we live in the woods.

Anyway, a systemic is all I can say try in a root drench. The dogwoods like to get a certain virus and not much can be done about that one, but I notice it only kills the straight pole type. The old dogwood we have like yours out in our front may well predate this house, if not it was around 1974 being planted.

I think dormant oils in winter really give a helping hand by sanitizing the bark or making it inhospitable for fungi, if thats a better word.

Last edited:

Ask a Question