Knockout roses part 2

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m planting knockout roses in my front yard. The soil is part sand and part black soil. I bought flower soil and dug a pretty big hole for the roses. Now how much soil should go beneath the roses before I place them into the hole? Also any recommendations on what I should do with the soil I dug out of the ground?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't have to mix anything in your soil because the Knockout will adjust better to the soil it has to live in long term. Be sure and don't plant your Knockout too deep in the ground because that can cause problems. Plant it level with the soil line in the container or just a little above the ground about a 1 inch. Knockouts need a lot of water the first year so be sure and keep an eye on the soil and don't let it get too dry below the ground. When I it gets hot this summer you may want to put 2 inches of mulch around the base of the plant to hold the water in the ground. Any left over soil use to build a mote to hold water around your knockout. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I prune these in half ever winter while they are dormant. I prune 1/2 in height and 1/2 in width every year. Heres this years first blooms, and I will get blooms off and on all Summer and into fall.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 118

Ask a Question