Pruning Knockout Roses after first Bloom?

Reaction score
Hi- I need some advice. I love tending to my flowers but admit my green thumb is still "beginner" level! I have 5 knockout roses covering one side of my deck. They have grown very well and bloomed there. This is their 3rd year. I have noticed the bottoms are bare though. I think when I cut them back before spring- I didn't cut them back enough. So now the sun can't really get thru to the bottom of the plants. Does this sound likely? The tops are pretty and full and the plants are about 3- 3 1/2 feet tall. I know KO roses are hardy and forgiving but could I prune them way down NOW and see if that will help the bottoms fill back In & grow?? I am in zone 7. I hate to have to keep letting them grow up the rest of the season if the bottom will get more and more bare. Thanks in advance!!!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never heard of Knockout Roses so I had to look them up. There are very pretty.

AnothonyMaillandandCarefreeWonder02.jpg%7Ec100

This link talks about pruning the roses, hope it helps http://www.wikihow.com/Prune-Knockout-Roses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If it were me I'd be tempted to just leave them as they are and cut them right back next year. How tall to you want them?

Ask a Question