Kieffer Pears in Pennsylvania

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a first time grower of Kieffer pears, and pears in general. I live in eastern Pennsylvania. The pears are on the trees but I'm not sure when to pick them. I know that pears need to ripen inside, not on the trees. I read some web sources that said I should be picking in August ... another website said not until October. So I'm really confused. When to pick and let ripen inside?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the Forums.

Maturing pears should be observed daily. The time to pick is when 1) full size and shape have been achieved, 2) the first hint of yellowing of the skin is seen, and 3) the pear can be picked with a twist. When in doubt, pick some pears at different likely stages and later determine which ripened best.

The Kieffer Pear (Pyrus x 'Kieffer') is an intriguing heirloom hybrid; originally an accidental cross between the European Pear (Pyrus communis) and Asian Pear (Pyrus pyrifolia).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the Forums.

Maturing pears should be observed daily. The time to pick is when 1) full size and shape have been achieved, 2) the first hint of yellowing of the skin is seen, and 3) the pear can be picked with a twist. When in doubt, pick some pears at different likely stages and later determine which ripened best.

The Kieffer Pear (Pyrus x 'Kieffer') is an intriguing heirloom hybrid; originally an accidental cross between the European Pear (Pyrus communis) and Asian Pear (Pyrus pyrifolia).
Perfect answer

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria

HARVEST/STORAGE​

• Harvest pears when they are mature but still hard. Ripen the pears at room temperature for the best quality fruits.
  • Mature pear trees produce a lot of fruit in a short window of time. Be prepared!
  • To store pears, pick them when they are fully grown but still very hard. You can keep them in the refrigerator; they should last for about 1 week. You can also keep them in containers in a cool (about 40°F), dark place; they should keep for 1 to 2 months.
  • You can also can the pears for longer storage.
  • https://www.almanac.com/plant/pears

Ask a Question