Deformed Pears in Vermont

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

We bought this property back in 2010. About 3 or 4 years ago, we discovered that we had a fruit bearing pear tree. However, every year the pears come out deformed, pitted, just gnarly. Before I cut it down, I was wondering if anybody had advice on what we could do to correct the problem. Thanks!

P1010431.JPG
P1010432.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks like damage done when the fruit is setting. If it's not the weather, try spraying in the spring before the fruit forms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello,

We bought this property back in 2010. About 3 or 4 years ago, we discovered that we had a fruit bearing pear tree. However, every year the pears come out deformed, pitted, just gnarly. Before I cut it down, I was wondering if anybody had advice on what we could do to correct the problem. Thanks!

View attachment 25683 View attachment 25684
I am pretty sure it is Stony Pit virus. I would take a couple of the pears to the county extension agent to make sure. Other than that nothing can be done if the tree has the virus. Some varieties of pears are immune to the disease while others are very prone to getting it.
Another possibility is damage from stink bugs but if this happens every year it is a remote possibility.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, now that I look at pictures of Stony Pit, that certainly looks like it. Thank you so much for the information!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I had a pear tree and every year it had the same misshapen fruits - one side of the pear seemed to be pinched and in the end, I got rid of the tree.

Ask a Question