Pears Good Outside Rotten inside

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
Hello. Many of my Cosia (I think similar to Bartlett) pear trees bear heavily. The pears look really great on the outside, but after picking them it turns out most
have a brown rotten inside. Whats happening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello. Many of my Cosia (I think similar to Bartlett) pear trees bear heavily. The pears look really great on the outside, but after picking them it turns out most
have a brown rotten inside. Whats happening?
More than likely the pears rippened earlier than usual. This could be due to factors in the weather, a lot of rain, excessive heat etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Came here to say @Chuck is extremely smart. I like to do this because it bugs him. However, as a softwood fruit they are early in general. The more heat, the faster they ripen down our way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Lebanon
Thanks. I suppose I will try next year to pick the pears somewhat earlier. Also, maybe try a late ripening variety. BTW, I am not sure of the exact hardiness zone here. I am supposing it is 9. I would say the weather here is about the same as cornwall in England - maybe a tad bit warmer in summer. It snows a couple of times; we use heating from november to April, while summer is quite warm reaching about 30 celsius in July and august. I guess hardiness zone 9 is about right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks. I suppose I will try next year to pick the pears somewhat earlier. Also, maybe try a late ripening variety. BTW, I am not sure of the exact hardiness zone here. I am supposing it is 9. I would say the weather here is about the same as cornwall in England - maybe a tad bit warmer in summer. It snows a couple of times; we use heating from november to April, while summer is quite warm reaching about 30 celsius in July and august. I guess hardiness zone 9 is about right.
Try them instead of apples in an apple pie recipe. You will not regret it. If they are fresher and crunchy because you picked earlier then so much the better as they have plenty of sugars even slightly under-ripe. They will also ripen after an early picking.

Last edited:

Ask a Question