Just because it's outdoors doesn't make it yours

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
She's not bad for a teenager, very caring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My next door neighbour 'phoned to tell me that the builders who are refurbishing our home were digging up my spuds and onions!
Their boss even said on the 'phone to me, "That was Nathan, he made a cheese and onion pie and said that the onions were gorgeous!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lol, the "cat" made me laugh really hard:D

TheCrazyPlantLady, I'm so sorry that this happened to you! It's really great that you were able to move out of that horrible place. I truly don't understand the neighbour who didn't want to wake you up. Some people are so inconsiderate:mad:

Reaction score
My next door neighbour 'phoned to tell me that the builders who are refurbishing our home were digging up my spuds and onions!
Their boss even said on the 'phone to me, "That was Nathan, he made a cheese and onion pie and said that the onions were gorgeous!"
Well, at least your onions were appreciated! That's just crazy

Thanks Claudine - I think the neighbour thought he was being considerate!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...In the wee hours one morning, a crew went in and stripped everything they could from the car, the engine, muffler, alternator, they even removed the tires to take the brake pads, and left the shell in the parking lot. To make matters worse, one of my neighbours watched the whole thing, but didn't come and let me know until hours later, because he didn't want to wake us up!

I guess the neighbor didn't want to wake the cops up either. What kind of nonsense is that? I would have awakened the entire complex. Situations like that are when you need an air horn or a panic alarm to alert everyone in the vicinity - especially the criminals - of what is going on. What a disappointment on so many levels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
A few years ago someone climbed over a high wall to get into our back yard. Then he climbed through a tiny window into the garage and stole our lawnmower. A neighbour's maid spotted him and called the police. He was arrested pushing the lawnmower down the road.

We weren't home at the time and the first thing we knew about it was when the police rang our doorbell the next morning to let us know that they had our lawnmower.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, do you mark things with your post code Gina? Makes it easier to recover things that have been nicked.

Oh, wish I had done that with my generator, didn't think to, as it takes 2 people to lift it.

Just a patch of dead grass next to the caravan where it used to be, they must have driven up next to it to load it too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
No, it wasn't marked in any way. It was just one of those lucky occasions when someone was very observant. She obviously gave them the address that the thief had visited. More often that not the criminals around here don't get caught.

What happened with your generator doesn't surprise me, zigs. I'm sure that kind of thing happens frequently around here.

Reaction score
Oh, she also went and swept up the War Memorial next to our house, mainly because she was bored. But the secretary of the British Legion got wind of it, she not only got a letter from the committee thanking her, she also got asked to lay a wreath on November 11th.

What an amazing kid. Most kids do bad things when they get bored. Yours does random acts of community service.

Reaction score
Got a few stories about Karma, won't tell the first one as it involved a terrible accident.

But the other....

When Willow was a toddler we used to go fishing a lot, her attention span would wander and she'd go off picking up litter off the beach and putting it in the bin.

No one asked her to, she just did it off her own back.

I still remember the look on her face when she silently held up the £10 note she'd just found. I asked her if she knew what it was, she said no. I said that's Karma.

When my daughter was little, she once found $20 in the street and held it out to me silently. The look of confusion on her face was adorable, like she knew the money was something important but didn't know why. I used the money to buy her something delicious to eat.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Ugh! I know your pain.

I used to have permission to access to a piece of out-of the-way property which was abandoned because the owner who inherited it lived very far away and didn't want to sell it. The property was on old orchard with lakefront access (beautiful place). After installing a water system, pruning, fertilizing, and generally maintaining the trees, I set about the task of planting other vegetables and fruit.

I was shocked by the number of people who would just come up and harvest the garden. People would break limbs off trees to access the fruit, and arrive with plastic bags to carry away the stuff. Some of these people were random people out on the lake, but for the most part it was the neighbours who were too lazy to grow their own stuff. Sometimes I would have a surplus and give permission to pick, but most of the time it was blatant theft.

Now almost anything I keep outdoors is locked up.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Saw similar in the Communal Forrest Garden this year, someone had stripped the plum tree, breaking branches in the process. That garden is meant for all to share, yet one person took the lot:mad:

Ask a Question