Just because it's outdoors doesn't make it yours

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It just amazes me how so many people these days have absolutely no consideration for others. Bad manners, entitlement, no boundaries... with all these advances in technology, with the ease of access to education, you would think the world would be getting more sophisticated, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We call them "scumbags"

Reaction score
I'm so glad we live on a cul-de-sac now. There's been the occasional bit of opportunistic type theft, but overall the place is nice and quiet and there are plenty of outdoor potted plans and things in front of some of the houses.

I've definitely lived on streets where you couldn't leave anything around, except apparently old mattresses and busted tevee's, those will stay on the sidewalk for ages :p

Reaction score
It just amazes me how so many people these days have absolutely no consideration for others. Bad manners, entitlement, no boundaries... with all these advances in technology, with the ease of access to education, you would think the world would be getting more sophisticated, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I know, right? You can't even trust your mail and packages outside. I used to get mail stolen all the time at my old apartment. Last Christmas I had to reorder my daughter's Christmas gifts because some creep made off with an Amazon box full of video games.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...Last Christmas I had to reorder my daughter's Christmas gifts because some creep made off with an Amazon box full of video games.

When I was teaching I started getting stuff delivered to work. Same thing 2 years ago when I worked in an office. I never had stuff stolen, but I just didn't want it sitting around. Sometimes they leave packages around the side at the other door and we don't find them right away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Something similar happened to me last year when I lived in an apartment. They presure washed the building and I came home to potted plants all over my deck and my plants destroyed...I was so mad!!

Reaction score
I did say something to the landlord and he's stopping by tomorrow to take a look. I just wondered if anyone else had dealt with people not respecting your property just because it's outdoors.

A coworker of mine had potted plants in front of her apartment because her building didn't have private balconies. Because her plants were in front of her door, people would steal them. Why? It's obvious those plants belonged to someone, even though they were outdoors.

I've had my recycling bins stolen before. My neighbor Rosa has had the baby Jesus stolen from her Christmas nativity display several times, on a couple of occasions I found it down the street or sitting in the trash, so I brought it back to her. I guess she just gave up this year and stopped putting it outside.

Why can't people refrain from touching people's property that's outside?
Just because it's in the yard or on the doorstep doesn't make it public property that's free for the taking.
When that happens that is the fault of the contractor not monitoring their workers. Painting does require some moving of things but for them to be damaged is just plain wrong.

Reaction score
I lived in a ground floor apartment on two different occasions. The first one, I only had one item disappear from my fenced in patio,,, a face I had put on the inside wall of the wooden surround that would normally go on a tree. The second apartment I had some kids take a red wagon with wooden sides that I had large pots of flowers in. I found out who took it and went down and read the riot act to both the kids and the parents. They could not return the wagon because it had been dismantled. But the kids never showed up around my apartment again for fear of being arrested.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Scumbags pinched a bunch of fishing rods out of the garage last week, they hid them in the field but the farmer saw them and reported it to the police.

Got them back, in the dark they'd picked up the pile of old broken rods I use for spares, weren't worth nicking in the first place.

Reaction score
Never really had anything bad happen to my stuff. If someone tried to mess something up on my property I would have to falcon punch them in the face. I can see it happening though, of course in the neighborhood I live in currently it is literally crime free and most of the people that live here are medical or police officers.

Reaction score
I think nowadays most persons are just looking the easy way out and think they have the rights to make use of others personal possessions whenever they feel like ; it's like it is not safe to trust people anymore, i have to constantly be looking over my shoulder to see when i an going to be jumped. It's just so sad and what hurts most is the fact that some persons will see these bandits in their act and just give a blind eye.

Ask a Question