Is it okay to put my spider plant outdoors for the time being?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
So I bought a spider plant like a month ago. It was after a week that I noticed it has it tips are brown. So I trimmed them with a pruner. I put it in my room with my peace lily little far away from the window. And my Peace lily is very healthy and fine. But my spider plant's leaves turn brown!! I don't know if I am not watering it properly. So I stated watering it till I see water on the plate but it's a difficult job to always throw out the water because I honestly have a very very busy schedule. So my dad suggested me to put it outside for a few days so that I could water all I want and not worry about leaving the water in the plate. And by the way it's pot does contain a drainage hole. I am just fed up now! I cannot always keep trimming . I am thinking of just getting a new one. But again I don't wanna just kill this! So is it okay to put it outdoors for time being?

P.S I am sorry for my terrible English! My mother tongue is not English and people around me hardly speak it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a spider plant that sits on a window sill and does quite well. I water it maybe once or twice per week, but that's it. I think it's possible you are watering it too much. Just make sure it's near a sunny window and wait until it starts to dry out before watering again. You can grow spider plants outdoors, but I don't think it's necessary for yours.

Reaction score
My spider plant is thriving outdoors, it did the same indoors. I really think your is turning brown because it's not receiving enough sun light. Just let it sit next to a really sunny window and it should be fnere. Be careful with the watering, spider plants don't like to be too moist! Let the soil dry before watering it again, going one or 2 days with a dry soil wont hurt it. Actually i water mine whenever I remember. hose plants are very tough!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have a spider plant that sits on a window sill and does quite well. I water it maybe once or twice per week, but that's it. I think it's possible you are watering it too much. Just make sure it's near a sunny window and wait until it starts to dry out before watering again. You can grow spider plants outdoors, but I don't think it's necessary for yours.
Oh! I guess you are right. I must be over watering it. I actually never let the soil dry out before watering again. Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My spider plant is thriving outdoors, it did the same indoors. I really think your is turning brown because it's not receiving enough sun light. Just let it sit next to a really sunny window and it should be fnere. Be careful with the watering, spider plants don't like to be too moist! Let the soil dry before watering it again, going one or 2 days with a dry soil wont hurt it. Actually i water mine whenever I remember. hose plants are very tough!
Oh.. okay. I will just leave it outdoors for a day or two more and then put in in a sunny spot. And about the watering, I will do as you said. Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think if it's not super sunny all the time (my yard for garden #1 has very little shade) or if the plant can get patchy sun at different parts of the day (my shade moves as the sun moves), then it's okay to have it outside. If it gets a lot of sun, you'll have to water it more often though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I think if it's not super sunny all the time (my yard for garden #1 has very little shade) or if the plant can get patchy sun at different parts of the day (my shade moves as the sun moves), then it's okay to have it outside. If it gets a lot of sun, you'll have to water it more often though.
Oh! I have a doubt though! Can I water the plant even though the soil is slightly moist? Thank you for the answer. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh! I have a doubt though! Can I water the plant even though the soil is slightly moist? Thank you for the answer. :)

Slightly moist is okay, just only give it a little water. If it's dry on top and then when you stick your finger into the soil it's moist at least an inch deep you don't really have to water it. My indoor plant sits on the windowsill and gets watered with a couple ounces about once per week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Slightly moist is okay, just only give it a little water. If it's dry on top and then when you stick your finger into the soil it's moist at least an inch deep you don't really have to water it. My indoor plant sits on the windowsill and gets watered with a couple ounces about once per week.
Oh..k. Thank you. My plant is doing well. :D

Reaction score
Hello. For many years I had a spider plant that I kept outdoors on a shady porch most of the year. I brought it in before it started getting below 40 at night and hung it in a sunny window. I always enjoyed when it put out it's little stems and bloomed. I always had a lot of stems with the baby spiders on them. That is one of the things that made the spider plant so beautiful. They are also good for keeping the air in your home purified. I still have that plant after many years and have divided it and given starts to friends who are still enjoying them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have mine sitting by the window, but after reading something recently about houseplants I am thinking of moving it. I'm now thinking it's too close and should be in more indirect sunlight. The coloring of the leaves is a bit paler than I think it should be and they seem to turn brown quickly.

Reaction score
Right now I have my spider plant on our front porch. It is doing nicely. I will bring it back in the house in a few weeks where it will go in a sunny window. I've had mine for several years, I water maybe once or twice a week. I also get leaflets that I clip off and give to friends.

Ask a Question