Jicama Review

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My first time this year to grow the Jicama and I offer this thread for reference.

I have seen Jicama and eaten it often in Mexico where street vendors commonly sell it. Although a member of the bean family and a legume, it is grown for its tuberous root which has thick, brown skin and a starchy interior that tastes a little like a low sugar Apple might taste.

Research shows it is also widely cultivated in the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia Singapore, Sumatra, and Java where it goes by various names.

My experience with it this season is kind of a “mixed bag.” It requires hot temps for many months, and we had that this summer in extreme. I started mine from seed in April and harvested in Oct. It is very difficult to get the plants started from seed. Very low germination rate (about 20%) and very slow growth at first but growth rates increased in July and August. The plants grow as vines and flower and produce beans which are not edible.

jicama.JPG

Surprisingly to me, the plants did not yield well in a container and produced more tubers in the ground, However, considering several months of growth, the production was low overall in my view.

Jicama harvest.JPG

My purpose in growing it, in addition to curiosity, was to evaluate it as a potato extender/substitute to fill in for the time period between the spring potato harvest and fall potato harvest. So far, I’ve tried it raw and as baked French fries…both of which are delicious. Oven baked fries are especially good and certainly better for you than potato chips. Makes a delicious snack.

oven baked Jicama.JPG

Would I grow it again…yes probably but I would hope for better production and also would look for ways to get better seed germination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The first time I grew jicama I had the same low germination rates you did, very poor. What I do now is start my seeds at the same time as my tomato seeds in mid/late Feb. I soak them overnight first, plant them in potting soil and keeep them on a heating mat set at 80. Germination rates are around 85%. I don't fertilize mine at all now with nitrogen At first I did but only grew tops and not many roots. Being as how they are a legume I would guess it is easy to provide too much nitrogen but my beans do great by being lightly fertilized, so maybe this plant is different from basic legumes.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I did soak the seeds overnight but that was not sufficient. I'd already figured out next time I need a heating pad for them. Interesting your comment on nitrogen. That may have been a factor in my low yields. My soil is prepared with high nitrogen fixing legumes and composted manure. It may well be too rich for the Jicama.

The other factor may have been the 110 deg temps we had this summer. The tropics don't get that high in most places where Jicama grows and I'm thinking it was a factor in reduced yields. All things considered it was a successful test and I have enjoyed the taste of the stuff. Will try again Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.

Ask a Question