Burpee live plant order review

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I decided this year to order some starter plants from Burpee. They had some varietal choices not available locally, and we'll... I'm impatient. I've since learned that my local nursery has A LOT more than I thought last year, I just went to late and spoke with an employee that had since been fired because he sucked at his job!

Anyway, I decided to see how the Burpee order turned out. This will be a review for those interested in ordering live plants from Burpee in the future.

A few days ago I FINALLY received shipping notification that they would arrive today (other plants have been in ground for a few weeks now and are setting fruit. Could have gone in a month ago here). So that is one negative, they will only ship when they feel it is safe in your zone, heedless of local microclimate or desires to keep in a greenhouse, etc. Annoying. Local nursery has plants available at the beginning of March or even late February (they had a few at that time, most beginning in March)

To my surprise when I got home early, there was a package in the mailbox that turns out to be my sweet potatoes. Now I assumed when it said bare root plants, that I would be receiving seed potatoes. Perhaps that's my lack of understanding, but pictures below is what I got. In the mailbox which is basically a small sun oven. Needless to say they look a little rough around the edges. I immediately planted all twelve in hopes one or two will make it!

I'll update not when I get the rest of the shipment sometime today. So far I'm thinking mail order plants is just too risky. Although there are still some variety options not locally available, I think it will be used for the oddball novelty plant rather than the main planting.
IMG_20190411_124307045_HDR.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In my experience, the biggest drawback from Burpee mail ordering of plants is they just aren't available when I need them. They can't ship while temps are still low in parts of the country but are warm here in the south...not good. I don't use them anymore for plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've never ordered live plants from Burpee, or any other on-line supplier. As Meadowlark said, their shipping date doesn't coincide with our planting date here in the south.
I also don't buy Burpee seeds. I just don't have any luck with good germination with their seeds. I don't know why, since other gardeners do have success with Burpee seeds, but if I get a 20% germination rate, I'm surprised. With other brands of seed, I get anywhere from 60 to 100% germination. I'll stick to the plants at a local nursery and seeds I can buy locally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've not really had issues with their seeds and they have a good variety. I'll likely use them for my seed requirements unless I find something better. Our Ace has most standard vegitable seeds, as does HD and Lowe's.

Interestingly, the smaller of our local nurseries will start seeds for you of a specific plant if you request it. Thought that was interesting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Vette, I buy most of my seeds from Ace Hardware. They have the seeds early enough for me to start the ones inside that need it, and they have the "tried and true" varieties I like. There is a nursery nearby that has seeds and starts, and what I can't find or have room to start myself, that nursery is my first choice for seedlings. I've never thought to request specific plants. I'll ask them if they offer this service.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok, most of the rest of my order arrived today. One plant still missing, so I'll get that sorted later. For this shipment, I'm actually fairly impressed. There plants look pretty healthy and arrived MUCH better packaged than the potato and the broccoli I received a while back. They are all well protected in a plastic case inside the box.

I've put them in the garden, still in their starter pots as we are running out of light and time tonight. Gave them a little misting, hopefullyly they will be of to the races soon!

The last pic is the one that appears to have a little damage, hopefully nothing serious.
IMG_20190411_183426065.jpg
IMG_20190411_183435574.jpg
IMG_20190411_183508349.jpg
IMG_20190411_184256864.jpg
IMG_20190411_184236441.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the review. I have only ordered plants once and they came too early. None of them survived. The best luck I have had has been people selling plants from their garden on Craigslist. The problem is that if you want something different you probably won't find it on Craigslist. Now you have me thinking that I should give the catalog places another look . The pictures always suck you in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah, that's why I posted pics of what they sent. Hopefully give a little more realistic view of what your are getting. These were packaged well and doing good so far. Just know that I ordered broccoli from them in the past and it did NOT come packaged as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, I guess it's only for days since planting, but I'm afraid the potato's are going to be a disappointment. One looks like it will recover, out of twelve planted! Still green attend, so hopefully there is still a chance, but only one has leaves. I was really looking forward to trying this variety too! With any luck I'll at least get a few to have see potato's next season.

IMG_20190415_162420600.jpg
IMG_20190413_110652796_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Approaching two weeks now and it looks like less than half of the Bonita sweet potatoes are going to make it. 5 are showing signs of growth with one more at least still being green. The others have wilted completely. This better be one awesome potato!!

IMG_20190423_161625698.jpg
IMG_20190423_161642387.jpg
IMG_20190423_161646896.jpg
IMG_20190423_161650693.jpg
IMG_20190423_161701221.jpg

Ask a Question