Japonica Fatsia has looked better

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my Japonica Fatsia has looked better..its about 4 ft across and 3 ft tall..flowers fairly regularly..but recently its not looking great. Either random half leaves going brown or whole random leaves going brown.. Iv got a budleia bush to its one side and a youngish budleia bush few feet away on its other side and both budleias are doing great but not the Japonica Fatsia...just wondered if im not doing something that i should

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
my Japonica Fatsia has looked better..its about 4 ft across and 3 ft tall..flowers fairly regularly..but recently its not looking great. Either random half leaves going brown or whole random leaves going brown.. Iv got a budleia bush to its one side and a youngish budleia bush few feet away on its other side and both budleias are doing great but not the Japonica Fatsia...just wondered if im not doing something that i should
Can you provide a picture and include your growing zone and what kind of sunlight that you get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thats a good one showing what i mean

Attachments

• thumbnail  fatsia.jpg
    thumbnail fatsia.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you provide a picture and include your growing zone and what kind of sunlight that you get?
iv added a photo.. Im in UK birmingham...the fatsia is near my back fence and in quite a sunny spot..sheltered by fence behind it and on its sides

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Haha you posted a pic and described location just as I posted and now I am editing! I will show you a picture of mine since it was near frozen (It was frozen just not killed) and I have been peeing on it regularly which has caused it to explode with new growth compared to the other 20 or so we have about our shady property.
16831322977781546872186663606610.jpg
16831324382616823710423824110672.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
think thats TMI and ive added a photo and included some RELEVANT info ..ill wait for a relevant reply from Toddz
I would too. Slightly incremental N additions are not really relevant to that strange growth you show in your photo. I have never seen that particular growth pattern here in Birmingham, AL, USA where we are Semi Tropical. It may just be decomposition fungi on an unusually photogenic but early reproductive effort that failed and nothing to worry about.
16831330725206385049584576287297.jpg

Noticing the fringes of your more mature leaves could prove fruitful. Do you have a less focused habit picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
think thats TMI and ive added a photo and included some RELEVANT info ..ill wait for a relevant reply from Toddz
It definitely looks like damage from cold weather. Your butterfly bushes are a lot hardier than your Japonica and you will just have to be patient while warm weather helps it recover. A diluted shot of a general fertilizer might help it recover faster but if it is a disease problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to add my comments here, but don't really feel that Too Much Information is required. :cautious:

Ask a Question