Cryptomeria Japonica black dragon turning brown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I planted this tree last saturday and I realized that the lower branches are starting to turn brown from the tip. I added peat moss and sphagnum mixed compost and a bunch of topsoil because I recently removed a huge yew tree there and it took up a lot of soil. So anyone know what may be causing this?
It gets full sun and I water it everyday.
xsyZXQN.jpg

BErsacc.jpg

qfPNee3.jpg

And here is the overall tree
dcNVVED.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When ever you move something this size it will go through a period of shock. All you can do is keep it moist (not wet) and keep it from sunscald and let it get acclimated to its new home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When ever you move something this size it will go through a period of shock. All you can do is keep it moist (not wet) and keep it from sunscald and let it get acclimated to its new home.

Oh so its not like the tree is dying? and the brown is a sign of shock? I also planted a dwarf hinoki cypress tree the same day and that doesn't have any brown in them. Also is it possible that it could be because I applied too much topsoil on it? I'm not so sure if topsoil has any negative effect on plants but just in case.. Sorry so many questions but I am kinda worried about my tree..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh so its not like the tree is dying? and the brown is a sign of shock? I also planted a dwarf hinoki cypress tree the same day and that doesn't have any brown in them. Also is it possible that it could be because I applied too much topsoil on it? I'm not so sure if topsoil has any negative effect on plants but just in case.. Sorry so many questions but I am kinda worried about my tree..
Whenever you move a large plant like this it disrupts them until they get used used to their new home. Also, if you planted the tree too deep it will show negative signs of distress and will eventually do serious harm. Make sure the root flare is exposed. If you planted the tree at the proper depth and you water properly the tree will be fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Whenever you move a large plant like this it disrupts them until they get used used to their new home. Also, if you planted the tree too deep it will show negative signs of distress and will eventually do serious harm. Make sure the root flare is exposed. If you planted the tree at the proper depth and you water properly the tree will be fine
Alright well originally the rootball was way above the soil level so I had to add a bunch of topsoil to equal it out so I think in terms on deepness it should be fine. I just can't see the trunk at all cuz the branches are all the way at the bottom. Also should I still be watering if the soil around that tree is already moist? I watered yesterday and when I checked today the soil was still moist. But it hasn't even been a week since I planted this tree yet and I heard that for the first 2 weeks after a tree is planted you have to water it everyday.

Ask a Question