Is this sunburn or something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Some of the leaves on the Jasmine are not looking so good. Any ideas what the problem is?
P1020684.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am not familiar with plant problems in your part of the world, but to me I don't think it's from the sun. The disfiguration looks as if it started in the leaf's vein and grew in size. It appears that other smaller areas are also compromised. I would take an educated guess and say it's a fungus. Show a leaf to the right person at your local garden center and see what they say. It should be treatable with a spray, but I wouldn't delay. Perhaps you can reduce the spread of the fungus if you spray soon. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Okay, thank you @carol. I have 3 organic recipes for fungus (thanks @Chuck). Do i spray the entire plant, the affected leaves, the base of the plant, the soil? i will delay and spray when the sun is much lower this early evening assuming that to spray in the heat of the day is not a good idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay, thank you @carol. I have 3 organic recipes for fungus (thanks @Chuck). Do i spray the entire plant, the affected leaves, the base of the plant, the soil? i will delay and spray when the sun is much lower this early evening assuming that to spray in the heat of the day is not a good idea.
The first thing you do is snip off the affected parts of the plant. Clean the tool you use after each snip by rubbing down the blade with alcohol or a bleach solution. Then do your spray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this damage is more likely to be caused by insects. When I first looked at the leaf, I thought thrips, but there are other creatures to watch out for - like moth caterpillars which can leave a similar damage. I daresay the insects you have where you live may be different - but it may be worth checking them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Chuck...what good timing:) this is exactly the information i was looking for.to begin my procedure. The bush is in full shade now, i have mixed the solution and will follow your instructions. Should i do this just once or maybe once a week for a few weeks?

@Tetters thank you so much for the input. I am pretty sure it is not any sort of caterpillar and i have inspected the plant closely for signs of other known insects/pests. I am ready to treat the plant for fungus. If that doesn't work, i'll be back:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If after sniping off the affected leaves if it returns double up on the spray regimen. It is a fungus. Some are very difficult to eradicate. Be careful of your watering and/or rain. Almost all fungi is related to too much water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hi, Isn't it almost time for Jasmine to blossom in your region, I hope it recover fast.

Some say it do well in partial shade, it need less water.

I have two of them, one old one (showing same symptoms as yours) it's under full sun near staircase. Another in the garden under the shade along with Polianthes tuberosa bulbs ( common name :Rajanigandha) thats doing great with spotless green leaves.

I was going to post this, thanks. I have sprayed and moved to shade.

Will upload some pictures later, its too hot today, thinking of spending the day sipping icy lemonade with a hint of rose essence.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Chuck Thank you and i do not doubt that it is fungus and it is wonderful to know that and to have a method of treating it organically. Everything went well today and the snipped leaves are well wrapped up and ready to go out in the garbage. Now i will know what to do when/if i see this again on the leaves of a plant. We have not had rain yet this year, but i re potted the plant at the end of March and in that process it may have received too much water at the hands of its owner. It is an old plant. Do you think that would make it more susceptible? It does seem to want to grow though so i will do what i can for it.

@Rajesh Sethi my Jasmine is species nitidum, it is also an old plant and i don't know what their life span is. I also like to place the plant in partial shade, but it is getting more sun than normal at this time of year but not full sun. It just finished blooming and will bloom most likely 2 more times this year. What did you spray your Jasmine with? I used: 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of molasses, a squirt of Dawn dish washing liquid in a liter spray bottle in full shade. I hope you have luck with your old Jasmine too(y) How is your lemongrass doing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I moved it to shade, its too scary how hot it had become here at my place. IDK if its sun or the infection. Even growing tips are scotched.
33333333 (1).jpg

another scary picture of Gooseberry plant, taken in dusk. Lets see if any one spot the insect.
33333333 (2).jpg
33333333 (3).jpg

I hope you don't mind me, posting unrelated picture in your thread. Sorry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I hope you don't mind me, posting unrelated picture in your thread. Sorry!
Certainly i do not mind your posting here. It is totally appropriate and welcomed. I thought it was interesting to know that your Jasmine having the problem is also an old plant. It is also convenient for @Chuck because he was able to save two birds with one post:) (let me know if you are not familiar with the meaning of this). How hot has it become where you are? What are the temps? and do you have high humidity as well?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck Thank you and i do not doubt that it is fungus and it is wonderful to know that and to have a method of treating it organically. Everything went well today and the snipped leaves are well wrapped up and ready to go out in the garbage. Now i will know what to do when/if i see this again on the leaves of a plant. We have not had rain yet this year, but i re potted the plant at the end of March and in that process it may have received too much water at the hands of its owner. It is an old plant. Do you think that would make it more susceptible? It does seem to want to grow though so i will do what i can for it.

@Rajesh Sethi my Jasmine is species nitidum, it is also an old plant and i don't know what their life span is. I also like to place the plant in partial shade, but it is getting more sun than normal at this time of year but not full sun. It just finished blooming and will bloom most likely 2 more times this year. What did you spray your Jasmine with? I used: 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of molasses, a squirt of Dawn dish washing liquid in a liter spray bottle in full shade. I hope you have luck with your old Jasmine too(y) How is your lemongrass doing?
All plants, just like people have a life span. Some varieties of jasimine can live upwards of 25 years, but most much shorter. BTW excellent spray solution

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Okay, you can do 38 degree C heat. Are your plants well mulched to protect the roots from becoming too hot? Mulch mulch and more mulch, Raj and lots of tea and water for the gardener:)

Ask a Question