Is this sunburn or something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
BTW excellent spray solution
Of course it is an excellent solution, i got it from you:). I have 3 Chuck recipes for fungus. In addition, i have made a binder of information re each of my plants and a log of when I water and feed (and with what) each time, each plant. This keeps me from over watering and over feeding. I keep the organic recipes in the binder too and information specific to each plant. I tell you, this has made my gardening life much easier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Of course it is an excellent solution, i got it from you:). I have 3 Chuck recipes for fungus. In addition, i have made a binder of information re each of my plants and a log of when I water and feed (and with what) each time, each plant. This keeps me from over watering and over feeding. I keep the organic recipes in the binder too and information specific to each plant. I tell you, this has made my gardening life much easier.
Well, I am glad I am useful for something. I also use log books. Some of mine are over 50 years old and just about useless in this day and age.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Root is shaded by 4 'o clock bi color plants at the base of Jasmine, its pretty large cylindrical earthen pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Okay, thank you @carol. I have 3 organic recipes for fungus (thanks @Chuck). Do i spray the entire plant, the affected leaves, the base of the plant, the soil? i will delay and spray when the sun is much lower this early evening assuming that to spray in the heat of the day is not a good idea.

Beverly, Spray the entire plant as you want the active ingredients to be absorbed by the plant so it can fight off the fungus and reduce its impact on your plant. If you have any spray left over, it may be helpful to drench the ground around the plant with it. Drenching is recommended by organic spray companies. You should probably give it a follow-up spray in about a month. You are wise in waiting till the sun goes down. Hope this works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you @carol I first removed all the infected leaves and disposed of them, then i sprayed on May 7. Because it is fungus and because fungus is usually associated with too much water, I did not do a drench. The thing is, the plant was quite dry (it is in a container), the watering and feeding log that i keep indicates that the last deep water i gave the plant was April 26 and a stick that i pushed all the way to the bottom of the container came up dry (not a water meter, just a plain stick), so i did give it water and the plant seemed to appreciate that. All the leaves are new growth. The plant gets morning sun but is in shade by 3pm, it is heavily mulched with dry Neem leaves. It went through a transplant March 26. It should be extremely humid here starting in April but it is not. It is hot and it is dry plus we are not that far away from the equator. It is a plant that might be 7 or 8 years old.

I wonder if the fungus is a result of the heavy Neem leaf mulch and if i should remove it. I could replace the leaf mulch with coco fiber?

Now that it has been given water, i hesitate to do a drench until the plant dries out a bit.

Today, i am finding discoloration of the leaves.

I wonder if i should prune it down to the ground? Or at least down to say 12 inches.

I have some plants that are not replaceable, but this is not one of them. I can replace this plant and i will if i have to although i like it very much. I cannot re pot it. It was in the same pot for 7 or 8 years and the roots plus the soil the roots are holding on to weigh a ton.

@Chuck i cannot know how you can call yourself "useless" with a straight face. You help people on the forum every day, you freely and patiently share the information you have gathered over the years. You have organic solutions to any number of problems, insects, diseases, etc. Most of us need the information you have and ask and you are generous to give it. Besides there are not many people who know how to cook an armadillo. So, stop thinking that way. It is really irritating when you do.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
This morning, i removed the mulch and sprayed the base of the plant and soil and did a drench. I also moved the plant in hopefully better shade. This evening i will treat the leaves a second time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My plant started to grow back again, I added fertilizer, I hope yours is fine too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Oh, that is good to hear. Have your temps dropped down somewhat and possibly you have had rain? I cut my plant way back and also fertilized and treated with a home made spray for fungus, but the new growth was not showing improvement. Also the plant had been recently transplanted to a larger container and was terribly root bound which i couldn't to much to fix without killing the plant. I found a new plant, also jasmine nitidum at the garden center and retired the old one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I will upload image later, temp around 40℃ , room temp 32℃ . Expecting rain tomorrow as per weather forecast.

I think soil was little depleted, so purchased some manure from nearby dairy farm for composting and add some to it.
IMG_20170529_201517_833.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Sorry, I need to edit and compress image files, too high resolution and size, otherwise it will take whole day to upload.
3333 (1).jpg
3333 (2).jpg

Red line above shows how much it grew, since last post.

Red circle show the branch that didn't grow after being infected/scorched.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Congratulations on your success.:) Some times cures are a matter of patience. I see by the leaves that this is a different species of Jasmine than the one i have (nitidum), also it is interesting to me that the leaves on only one branch of your plant were effected with sunburn and/or fungus. The leaves of my plant were affected on all parts and as fast as i would cut them off new affected leaves would appear.

Right now, i am focusing on creating more shade in the garden so the smaller plants have some relief from the sun. I have 1 Neem, 2 Cassia fistula (golden shower) all 3 are saplings, Crepe Myrtle seedling (Lagerstroemia indicus), and 2 Papaya tree seedlings (fast growers). Hoping for a mini forest in the small garden. Oh, and also a Spicy Jatropha small tree. I will keep all of these at a height of between 8 to 10 feet (2.5-3m)...any way, that is my plan which may not be the same as Mother Nature's plan, but i am hopeful. Also i will replace the 2 Areca palms i have now which are burnt to a crisp and very old with 2 new palms but haven't decided which species, ones with better sun resistance. What is the blossom on your avatar?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Long story short it's poisonous red oleander flower.

My huge drumstick tree (moringa oleifera) is infected with mildew, so it's matter of time others will get it again., can't help it. Drumstick tree shed leaves all the time.

Just have to continue with spraying baking soda.

Ask a Question