Sunburned plants - what to do

Reaction score
Hello! We've had some record breaking heat here in SoCal. Super heat like that is uncommon where I am, and it's taken its toll on some of my plants. In particular, boxwood and Peter Pan agapanthus. They're both pretty badly burned. My questions are these . . . can I just shear the agapanthus way back, like almost to the ground? Will it come back in the spring? The leaves are too small and too many to deal with individually. Sort of the same with the boxwood. Can I give it a heavy pruning? I've never done that before. It gets sheared into a small hedge but never pruned. Got ideas for me? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello! We've had some record breaking heat here in SoCal. Super heat like that is uncommon where I am, and it's taken its toll on some of my plants. In particular, boxwood and Peter Pan agapanthus. They're both pretty badly burned. My questions are these . . . can I just shear the agapanthus way back, like almost to the ground? Will it come back in the spring? The leaves are too small and too many to deal with individually. Sort of the same with the boxwood. Can I give it a heavy pruning? I've never done that before. It gets sheared into a small hedge but never pruned. Got ideas for me? Thanks!
Are you sure it is sunburn? Just because it is really hot temperature wise does not mean your plants have sunscald. Those plants like bright sunlight. Without pics to see it would be my guess that you have a watering problem or have been using something like Scotts Weed N Feed on your lawn.

Reaction score
With our unprecedented drought, I've been ever so diligent about making sure everything gets enough water. I've even been hand watering my trees! These particular plants are not by a lawn, so I don't think fertilizer would be the problem. Here's a picture, though, if it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_7661.JPG
    IMG_7661.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 722
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With our unprecedented drought, I've been ever so diligent about making sure everything gets enough water. I've even been hand watering my trees! These particular plants are not by a lawn, so I don't think fertilizer would be the problem. Here's a picture, though, if it helps.
IMO that looks to be too much water. Watering too often can damage a plant. If you water more than every week or 10 days you are watering too much. Maybe Gata Montes will see this and can help more than I can

Reaction score
It's been hard to know how much to water with this drought. I only water lawns 1x a week, unless it's scorching, then 2x. So the plantings aren't getting as much as usual that way. So I'm left with hand watering and am not sure how much to give.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's been hard to know how much to water with this drought. I only water lawns 1x a week, unless it's scorching, then 2x. So the plantings aren't getting as much as usual that way. So I'm left with hand watering and am not sure how much to give.
Before you water your plants stick your pointing finger all the way into the dirt up to your knuckle. Blow on your finger and if you feel a sense of evaporation or coolness you do not need to water at that time. If you don't feel coolness and the soil seems dry give the plant a thorough and complete soaking. Really you shouldn't have to water any more than every 10 days or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There are types of netting you can get that filters the sun while letting the light in that you can use. I've also heard some people using a white thin cloth or sheet and putting it about a foot from the top of the plant to decrease the amount on sun rays it is getting.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Water routinely and profoundly.

Mulch the dirt with no less than three inches of natural mulch to diminish dampness and help direct soil temperature.

Shade certain harvests, for example, verdant greens and lettuces, to abate darting. They will jolt, regardless, amid times of serious high temperature. Notwithstanding, providing for them some shade may purchase you several prior days plant quality is lessened.

Reaction score

From your description and after now having seen the kind of damage you were describing - I have to say that I really don't think that it was the watering that has caused the problem - as to me you appear to have the exact same problem here - as you had with the other Agapanthus that we discussed in another thread.

As explained before - although Agapanthus and Box are both drought tolerant sun loving plants - its quite normal for them to suffer from leaf burn or leaf tip scorch and particularly in the case of the Agapanthus - when grown in climates that have long hours of hot very intense sunlight - which is why in those conditions - they are best grown in an area where they get light afternoon shade - which will ensure that you have attractive looking Box foliage and Agapanthus without any leaf tip scorch.

So in answer to your questions - although the Boxwood could be pruned hard - its not something that I would recommend if its likely to get burnt by the sun or hot winds again and to be honest there really isn't any need to - as once the weather cools - it will start replacing the dead foliage all on its own and yes you can cut Agapanthus to the ground without doing any harm - as it will very definitely re-shoot.

Ask a Question