I'm wondering if my Jade Plant is sunburned or diseased?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
I first had had all my jade plant in the house. They were not growing very fast so I put them outside in full sun. At first their leaves tipes turned reddish green color. They were growing very well. This was about 6 months ago and now some of them have areas with deep black spots. What do you guys think is the issue?? Thank you
IMG_2875.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG
IMG_3677.JPG
IMG_3678.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG
IMG_3729.JPG

Reaction score
As its quite normal for Crassula leaves to take on a red tint when exposed to sunlight and they very rarely suffer from problems caused by pests or disease - I would say that your Jade plant is suffering from sun damage - as although they like a sunny location they are extremely sensitive to sun damage which can easily burn holes in the leaves - like those seen in your pictures - so in hot climates with strong sunlight it is best to grow Crassulas in an area that receives light shade at the hottest part of the day.

Hopefully this information will be of help and your Jade plant should recover if kept in a bright but more shaded area :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
Thank you Gata Montes for confirming too much sun. I have moved them into to the West side where there is shade in the afternoon. I will also took off the burned leaves from the Jade plant. The 2 photos of the rose flowers are from the same rose bush.
IMG_2725.JPG
IMG_3590 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3642.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are welcome Colombian14 and feel more than sure that your Jade Plant will quickly return to its former glory now that it is living in a spot where it has shade at the hottest part of the day and even if you don't manage to remove all the damaged leaves - apart from looking a bit unsightly - it won't harm the plant as they will fall off when they are ready.

Think your roses are looking absolutely stunning and love the colors too - so many thanks for sharing :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
hardiness zone 11a
Country
Mexico
Thank you gata montes for the compliment on my roses. I was looking at the rose forum and saw the roses that you posted. They were very beautiful with so many different colors blends. Some day I would love to have some of them. I really like the dark burgundy rose flower. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Ask a Question